clutch/idle problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRgraham14

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a speed master vh-x5 buggy, it is just a cheap made in china nitro rc car that i bought on ebay the engine is a .18CXP however i dont know the brand or anything... i will probably upgrade if i get into the sport more but i just wanted something fairly cheap to start out with...
but anyways the thing has had a problem right out of the box and that is that the clutch is engaged at idle rpm... before breaking it in you could stop the wheels without the engine quitting, so i thought it might just be a simple idle adjustment, however after break in the clutch seems to be more engaged and when the wheels are stopped the engine dies... i have the idle set to the lowest possible position without the car stalling but the clutch is still engaged.... what might be the problem? and is it easily fixable or did i waste my money on a cheapo rc car? :\

I believe that the low speed needle can also fix this, I'm not sure. Have you tried adjusting your needles?

if the clutch engage so quick maybe the clutch springs are toasted or something

I believe that the low speed needle can also fix this, I'm not sure. Have you tried adjusting your needles?

i havent messed with any of the needles excpt the idle because i dont really know what I'm doing and the people at my local rc shop said not to make any adjustments unless i knew what i was doing... so i think I'm going to run down there later today and see if they kno what the problem it

if the clutch engage so quick maybe the clutch springs are toasted or something

I'm kinda thinking that this is my problem... but it was broken right out of the box... are the clutched interchangable or do i have to replace it with the same parts?

Last edited:
I know

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT CAR AND PROBLEM. (yes, all caps because i am screaming) you and i need to talk!!!!!
I can't figure it out either and no amount of messing with the needles will fix it. So i called a LHS and i have an appointment for them to look at it. They only charge $15 an hour and they know a lot more than i do. I will let you know

No matter what i do i can't get my wheels to stop turning at idle. I turn the low speed needle down as far as i can and nothing, they still turn. If i try and turn the High speed needle down any more i lose blue smoke. I think the high speed is set correctly but i dont know what to do about the low speed. what the heck any suggestions.
I posted this only a few days ago, then you came around. If you want to see this add it's called "Why wont they stop". It's only a few post down on the first page

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT CAR AND PROBLEM. (yes, all caps because i am screaming) you and i need to talk!!!!!
I can't figure it out either and no amount of messing with the needles will fix it. So i called a LHS and i have an appointment for them to look at it. They only charge $15 an hour and they know a lot more than i do. I will let you know

No matter what i do i can't get my wheels to stop turning at idle. I turn the low speed needle down as far as i can and nothing, they still turn. If i try and turn the High speed needle down any more i lose blue smoke. I think the high speed is set correctly but i dont know what to do about the low speed. what the heck any suggestions.
I posted this only a few days ago, then you came around. If you want to see this add it's called "Why wont they stop". It's only a few post down on the first page

Hey brad... i Found the problem today! :bow:... it was just the clutch spring but to get to that you need to take the whole engine out and remove the clutch bell... I've never done anything with rc cars and i was able to get it apart and back together again... but when u get the clutch bell off ull see the little spring is broken... mine just had the little hook broken off so i pulled up the spring and made a new hook and wraped it back around the clutch shoes... it still rolls a little at idle but at least it is able to stop without stalling... ill probably have to get a new spring eventually but this was a quick fix

I think that is quite unlucky and that it is a problem with the springs or the weights