Cleaning your Savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkngood

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So what do you guys use to clean your Savage?

More importantly - what do you use to oil/lube all the moving parts with the exception to the engine?

Can I just use a bottle of WD-40 and spray down the wheels and axles, ect....

I use After-Run Oil for the engine but what about everything else?

Thanks,
Mike

I see you're new here. Welcome to RCNT. If you've wandered around in the Savage forum, you'll know that I only dust mine lightly from time to time.

Thanks Rolex... I've heard a lot about you here on this forum.....All good things that is.

New to the Forum and sort of new to Nitro RC.

So far I spent $400 on a Brand New Savage X 4.6 RTR Monster Truck and close to another $400 on accessories including:

1) Temp Gun
2) Fail Safe
3) Nitro Starter Kit (Glow Plug Igniter w/ charger, 4-way wrench (2), screwdrivers (2), fuel bottle 300cc.
4) 7.2V 2300Mah battery for Roto Starter
5) 6v 1500Mah battery for Receiver
6) Fuel Filter (3)
7) OS #8 Glow Plugs (5)
8) Extra set of Air Filter
9) After Run Oil
10) 12 AA 2600Mah NiMh battery w/ charger
11) Fuel Tank Guard
12) 3-Piece Stainless Steel skid plate (Front/Center/Rear)
13) Built a stand for my Savage
14) Air Filter Oil
15) HPI Wheelie Bar
16) Exhaust Deflector
17) Bottle of Loctite
18) HPI Battery Level Indicator for receiver
19) 20% Blue Thunder Sport Fuel (1 gallon)
20) Misc....

Thanks Rolex... I've heard a lot about you here on this forum.....All good things that is.
It must have been someone else.
It looks like you're off to a good start with yours, but I would suggest you lose the Blue Thunder. If you get used to running it, then change to another fuel like Traxxas Top Fuel or O'donnel's you will notice the difference in power and speed on the first tank after a little tweaking.

yea i agree with the old man, i used the smurf juice when i started because thats about all the lhs had. i switched to white lightning and never looked back!

looks like your headed in the right direction, as far as cleaning if its not really dirty, an air compressor will do wonders! just blow all the dust and leaves and junk off. if its really bad you can take the electronics out and spray it with simple green or something and spray it off, just make sure to relube all the bearings (wd-40 should do fine)

I've also heard of people mixing simple green and denatured alcohol together for a cleaner. just spray it on and let it sit, then hit it with the air chuck and all the crap comes right off.. simple green smells good to!

Ya i juswt ake some wd 40 for the lubing parts.. and simple green spray it on and then get the airchuck and alll the crap comes off.. Works great!

+1 on the simple green and denatured alcohol for the really bad muddy days. aside from that, just an old paint brush (to get the dirt loose) and a few blasts fom the air compressor.

Oh Crap, I think taking a shower with mine was a mistake then huh?

Oh Crap, I think taking a shower with mine was a mistake then huh?

Showers are not a problem. It's those long lingering bubble baths that allows water to get into the electronics.

By the way, when it's clean, spray it with a 50/50 mix of Armoral and water. It will look brand new, and dust won't stick to it the way it sticks to WD.

Showers are not a problem. It's those long lingering bubble baths that allows water to get into the electronics.

By the way, when it's clean, spray it with a 50/50 mix of Armoral and water. It will look brand new, and dust won't stick to it the way it sticks to WD.

This man knows about dust, it's the only enemy his Savage has! :hehe:

BTW, I use brake cleaner and compressed air. I might give the armoral/water mix a try.

This man knows about dust, it's the only enemy his Savage has! :hehe:

Heh, heh...
For those really tough spots with dried crusted mud on them, use and old toothbrush to scrub it off.
When you're done, make sure you put it back in your brother's holder before he misses it.

Hey instead of starting a thread, i got a question.. hOW DO U ALL clean ur tires? Just water and soap?

Back