Circular Saw's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarant

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys I am looking for woodworkers here. I am going to get a circular saw soon and I would like to know what brands are good. I am looking for a 13 amp or higher and wormdrive. I will be cutting wood and possibley stone w/ the proper blades. and I have a Lowes, Sears, Ace/Hubberds localy I dont want to ask them cause you get the "Well this is the best saw on the planet and you should get it" crap.

Thanks

I currently own 2 DeWalt Circular saws. I love em.. Never gave me any problems..
Bosch is also a top-o-the line manufacturer for woodworking tools. Some of the best jigsaws out there..

Do you have a Woodcraft near by. They are pretty good, and will actually ask how you plan to use so you don't overbuy or buy junk. If your going to use it multipurpose (wood and stone) I would say probably something like a DeWalt. They make decent stuff, and it's not over priced. Stay away from a Black and Decker or Craftsman unless you plan to use it like once a year.

I've never had a dewalt circular saw but i got a dewalt sawsall and that thing is a friggin beast.. will cut anything.. they have good quality tools..

I have dewalt, It a good brand and can take alot of abuse, I picked up a craftsmans to or my co owner did and he seams to like it. If you have a sears near you. you can allways exchange it if there a problem.

the only brands of powertools i will buy are Bosch, DeWalt, and Porter Cable. out of the 3 i prefer Porter Cable.

Dewalt gets my vote, they make some of the better tools out there.

I vote milwakee. The thing takes a beating like no other.

DeWalt, Milwakee, Bosch, Porter Cable are the only power tools IMO.....I fully agree about the Crapman statement......they make the crappiest stuff out now....what happened to the quality that name used to represent????

Their hand tools are still great imo, but I can't ever remember having great power tools.

I had a circular saw from them years ago ( and I gave it to my roomate when I left NY)....he still uses the crap out of it for all kinds of stuff and it never dies....I must have gotten that thing when I was 14 and building a launch ramp...my dad gave it to me and I think he had it for 10 years before that......

ImBroken said:
I currently own 2 DeWalt Circular saws. I love em.. Never gave me any problems..
Bosch is also a top-o-the line manufacturer for woodworking tools. Some of the best jigsaws out there..

I agree...dewalt is # 1 in my house hold. Great tools.

I'll see if I can track this guy down, looks like he could help you out.

Last edited:
I see you are looking at the "wormdrives" which are the top of the line to start with. Also you are looking at the amps on one, which is a good idea. Sounds like you have almost decided anyway.
I would say Porter Cable or Millwaukee.
You always get what you pay for in my opinion. You can get a B&D or Craftsman circular saw for about $30. As we all know would be junk. Could buy the same brand and spend a few bucks....

Hate to dissapoint all you guys that like Dewalt.... They are a good power tool I know.
Bet none of you would buy Black and Decker, right?
I bought a Dewalt drill when they first came out. The guarantee was sent to "Black and Decker of America." So they had something to do with them. Don't know how and don't know if they still are.

Figure that statement is going to start some crap, so I did a little research. Here is their corporate web-site. http://www.bdk.com/
In October 2004, the Company acquired the Porter-Cable and Delta Tools Group (Tools Group) from Pentair, Inc. The Tools Group includes the Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss Air Power Company, Oldham Saw and FLEX businesses.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/profile.asp?Symbol=BDK

Last edited:
digger said:
Hate to dissapoint all you guys that like Dewalt.... They are a good power tool I know. Bet none of you would buy Black and Decker, right?

I knew Dewalt tools are made by Black and Decker. Still Dewalts work great..at least all of mine have. I also own Porter Cable. I started buying Dewalts because I wanted my tools to have the same color scheme..yellow...makes it easier to find at the end of the day. Porter Cables are great too. You really can't go wrong unless you buy an off the wall brand tool. All these major brands for the most part.... are good.

I used to be a big believer in Makita products, but they seem to have gone downhill somewhat. Bosch USED to be top line but they were bought out by another, cheaper company, for their US products at least,and ever since then they have lost some of their qulity.

I now only buy Porter Cable. My father in law makes custom furniture now since he is retired. For any powered hand tool he only buys Porter Cable. My brother in law owns a fastener store and of all the air guns he sells, he sells mostly Porter Cable. Sells a lot of Makita drills, too.

Delta and Craftsman, good beginner stuff and retailed everywhere, but not durable nor accurate. I have no experience with DeWalt, but Lowes and HD pushes them pretty hard.

BTW, go to Rockler's website if you are looking for any specialty wood working items including Porter Cable tools.

Revo Rancher said:
I used to be a big believer in Makita products, but they seem to have gone downhill somewhat.

I second that, they have gone downhill. A buddy and I took 2 cordless drills..same voltage..both had fresh batteries..both were NEW!! and held them together end to end. (In otherwords the chuckes teeth were meshed together.)
He gripped one and I gripped the other and we squeezed the triggers! The Dewalt spun the Makita backwards.

I would go dewalt or milwalkee... My parents own a construction company, and they always look for quality, because the guys on the jobs dont care about the tools... gotta be somethin tough!!!

I have all my tools from different companies. Drills from Miketa (I agree their stuff has gone donwhill but I have a 8yr old drill and it is just a powerful today as it was when it was new, it has been ran over and dropped from a few stories and it still works great) and I use Miter/chops saws from Dewalt(It is a Mitersaw but we use it for every thing and has never given use any bit of trouble). So most likley I will be getting a DeWalt. since my Table saw and mitersaw are both DeWalt.

Thanks guys

I love my dewalts...starting to pick up a few milwaukees and like them too. You should be fine with any major brand as long as its from their "industrial" line and not aimed at the average homeowner. I'm not sure if the "lesser brands" would even offer a 13amp+ worm drive.

Buying powertools is right up there with buying a new RC!!! Live Large

Back