Chip's DNA SSS Shafty

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip cross

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I had been wanting to build a shafty rig for sometime now, I just couldn't find a chassis that I really like to build the truck with. When I saw Don's DNA SSS chassis in Omaha,Ne at the 2.2 Indoor championship I was hooked on the chassis and I had to build one up.

I put some of the very best parts I could into this build and the good thing is every part came from RCCRAWLER.COM Vendors. The parts list looks something like this.

DNA SSS Chassis
DNA Dig with steel internals
DNA 2.2 Thrasher bead locks
DNA Motor plate
Axial AX-10 axles fully loaded with everything
Axial HD ring and pinions
Axial CVD
Axial slipper clutch
RCP stainless lockers
RCP stainless rear axle shafts
RCP axles C's
RCP rear lockouts
Vanquish High steer knuckles
Holmes Hobbies Handwound 45 T motor
Castle Creations Mamba Max
Castle Creations BEC
JR 8711 steering servo
JR 650 dig servo
DX3R
SR3500 RX
Losi Comp Claws
BTA for the AX-10 axles
Proline 1972 Chevy

010-9.gif

012-5.gif

011-7.gif

013-3.gif

017-3.gif

Last edited:
looks good. Dons taking the torsion stuff over the edge in my opinion lol, this and the mantis on a berg are just sick looking. nice rig chip.

looks good. Dons taking the torsion stuff over the edge in my opinion lol, this and the mantis on a berg are just sick looking. nice rig chip.

My first Comp rig back in 04' was a Torsion style rig. I really like how they handle, it is nice to see DNA building Torsion style chassis.

yeah, imo its stuff like this chassis that keeps the shafties some what exciting lol.

Holy low COG Batman!

but whats that silly thing in the middle? oh, never mind, its the trans and motor...

This thing should side hill like crazy Chip, need some video of this thing in action when you get her all buttoned up...

That's an awesome lookin' crawler Chip ! It should be able to do what the Losi Crawler from 3:34 to 3:38 in this vid !:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh wow that looks goood. Just looked the build thread on RCC and those chassis look *sick*. Talk about an original design... Never thought of using leaf springs made of plastic...

My only worry is how well those plastic leafs hold up when you get well crossed up with a big torque motor and grippy tyres.

Even so I got an ache in my wallet already, mind if I asked where you bought the chassis and skid from (I know they are DNA)?

That thing reminds me of the old nikko rebound.... or whatever it was called, when you could flip it, then keep on going......

250mph!!!!!!!!

scale speed

you mean turn the camera on its side? Look at the sky.

Yeah, pretty much I guess.....I didn't even notice, oh well, it's all good !:p:

That thing reminds me of the old nikko rebound.... or whatever it was called, when you could flip it, then keep on going......

That was good one !:hehe:

Last edited:
Ohh wow that looks goood. Just looked the build thread on RCC and those chassis look *sick*. Talk about an original design... Never thought of using leaf springs made of plastic...

My only worry is how well those plastic leafs hold up when you get well crossed up with a big torque motor and grippy tyres.

Even so I got an ache in my wallet already, mind if I asked where you bought the chassis and skid from (I know they are DNA)?

Don has been running a Cobalt 7t on 3s with no problems at all. The Delrin is tuff as heck.

That is the whole point to make gates up side down or right side up it I can't flip it without touching it. Duhherrrr !!! ;)