Center diff with Big Block?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschleer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was wondering if anyone has run a center differential with a big block?

I am running a Picco 26 Max and tried a center diff before, but I bought it on ebay used and I don't think it was working right. It seemed to be front wheel drive and it sucked. I even tried 500K fluid!

Is the Big block power just too much torch for the center diff to work right?

The reason I ask is, I'm tring to compete in a truggy class. I make plenty of power, but I can't open it up without pulling a wheelie.. and I have to keep all fours down to compete!

Thanks guys,

I can't comment on the center diff from personal experience, but I have read many instances where guys used them to gain control with high power engines. What brand of oil were you using? It might make a difference.

What chassis are you running? The older/shorter one or the 3.3 chassis? I just put an LRP28S3 in my revo and it's the shorter chassis... 2nd gear wheelies are cool, but man is this thing tough to drive! The longer chassis will help with wheelies to some extent, but in general makes it easier to drive on rougher terrain.

I used the Traxxas center diff/rear brake upgrades on my original 3.3 and later converted it to run the Picco .26 Maxx with no problems.

I can't comment on the center diff from personal experience, but I have read many instances where guys used them to gain control with high power engines. What brand of oil were you using? It might make a difference.

What chassis are you running? The older/shorter one or the 3.3 chassis? I just put an LRP28S3 in my revo and it's the shorter chassis... 2nd gear wheelies are cool, but man is this thing tough to drive! The longer chassis will help with wheelies to some extent, but in general makes it easier to drive on rougher terrain.

I'm running the extended chassis and I was using Traxxas 500k fluid.

I used the Traxxas center diff/rear brake upgrades on my original 3.3 and later converted it to run the Picco .26 Maxx with no problems.

Did you change the diff fluid? If so, what did you use?

Did you also have the rear brake kit? If not, you would only have front brakes. Odd that 500K wasn't thick enough to give you decent power on the rear tires as well.

Did you also have the rear brake kit? If not, you would only have front brakes. Odd that 500K wasn't thick enough to give you decent power on the rear tires as well.

Yes, I did have the rear brake. I thought the same thing about the 500k fluid, that's why I think the trans that I bought on Ebay was junk. It said it was pulled from a new platinum revo. I thought maybe the power of the picco was just too much and was making it diff out too much! So I thought I would ask around to see if anyone had success with this combo.

I never changed from the stock 500k oil. It sounds like there is something wrong inside of the transmission.

Get some ofna "diff lock" fluid. I don't know right off hand what weight it is though. If something was wrong with your diff you would be able to see it with the diff opened up.

i know a couple guys with bb revos that run silly puddy in the center diff they all say 500k dont cut it!

Try using some 1000k wt in the Center diff.

What were the weights in the front and rear diffs? You would want heavier in the front than the rear. That would allow more power to transfer back

I han with a center diff, and even a wore up .20 it would unload and make the truck act like a front wheel drive only, had factory 100k oil in it,
when i opened it up, it was less the half filled, switched to 500k and filled it up, everything works good now

A buddy of mine has a 3.3 with a CD it works great with even the stock fluid, which is only 100K. Very controllable on loose track, It drove right where I pointed it! No wheelies at all! not even on accident! After driving it myself, It seemed to diff a little too much for my liking. If it where my truck, I would either mix 100K and 500K half and half(and get ruffly 300K) or go with straight 500K.

With my picco, 500k was like front wheel drive, maybe I will try 1000K some day!