Carbon Fiber Body???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you do paint it..if you did it'd be on the outside and you'd have to put some kinda clear coat over it. All Iknow is $10 is super cheap for that much CF and If I had a buggy I'd pick it up just cuz it looks cool.

Cool factor for sure, I would not paint it either cause the fiber would be the look on its own, mayby a few decals and that is it. I just wonder how well they work, cause I have busted a lexan body after a few jumps with real big air.

For only $10 I'd wonder if it's really carbon fiber. They say it is, but they list it as a ProLine body. And I don't remember ProLine ever making a true carbon fiber body.
And I would wonder about crash resistance. Ever seen how CF cars just shatter when they wreck? Granted, you won't be going as fast as an F1 or IRL car. But I would think that one good clip and that thing will explode....

$10 is the starting bid and if it does not go to high I will try for it just to try something new and see how it works.

Let us know how it is if you win and if its the real thing.

If it shatters it could cut fuel lines and wires so i would be careful!

Candyman said:
For only $10 I'd wonder if it's really carbon fiber. They say it is, but they list it as a ProLine body. And I don't remember ProLine ever making a true carbon fiber body.
And I would wonder about crash resistance. Ever seen how CF cars just shatter when they wreck? Granted, you won't be going as fast as an F1 or IRL car. But I would think that one good clip and that thing will explode....

Pro-Line does not make a carbon fiber body or if they do, it's not in my catlog or online. It could very well be a Kyosho Crowd Pleazer from Pro-Line done up with carbon fiber. The description of it is very weak and I never bid on those types of auctions, but that's just me.

he has 4 different carbon fiber pieces for sale. i would get it for my buggy and try it out. the guy has over 400 positive feedbacks.. 6 days left.. see how high it goes.

later

Carbo fiber splinters more than just shatters doesn't it? Because its woven.

Looks sweet though. If I had a buggy, Id bid. SOmeone give me a buggy and ill buy it and tell ya how it works for me, sound good? Any takers??? lol

The add says use a dremel to cut or trim the body to fit. I thought I read somewhere that the dust created from cutting CF is extremely toxic. Don't know how true that is.

It does seem awefully cheap for real CF. Crap CF for my Ducat costs a mint. That much CF in that shape would run a couple hundred bucks.

I don't see any advantage to running such a body. Its not lighter than a lexan body, it doesn't flex... and it'd be a pain to cut....

ApriliaRacer said:
The add says use a dremel to cut or trim the body to fit. I thought I read somewhere that the dust created from cutting CF is extremely toxic. Don't know how true that is.

o so now u tell me thats toxic.. lol. wish i knew that before. i seen this vinyl carbon fiber sticker on eBay... $3.99 a foot and u can buy it in a roll. i think i might carbon fiber my body.. lol.

later

Thats probably Carbon Fiber Vinyl, (If it is) its not really Carbon fiber, just cf look printed on a roll of vinyl. You should have asked me, I got a shitload of it. I just had a dude do a 1:1 with some cf tribal graphix on it. Looks very sweet

i didnt buy the carbon fiber vinyl yet. u got a PM.

later

The secret to cutting carbon fiber is to hold it under running water while you cut, that way all the crap goes right down the drain and not al over the place.

And it goes for $79.00. More than I was willing to pay.

Still seems like a waste of money. It's got the "wow, that's neat" factor to it....but it'd never stand up to what a lexan body can, and at a lot less weight at a fraction of the cost.

If it is made from true Carbon Fiber sheets, It will be basically bulletproof on an R/C. My shop is located right next door to a guy that produces carbon Fiber parts for the Military. Believe me, I've tried to get him to make me some parts for my R/C, but the 12"x12" CF sheets he uses are $90 a piece, his cost... lol
The aftermarket CF parts we buy for our R/C's are not true CF. The're usually made from a thin fiberglass and layered with ultra thin sheets of CF. Thats why they tell you to seal the ends if you trim them at all, so as not to let it seperate. True CF after being sent through an autoclave (pressurized oven) comes out like a type of plastic. It is solid all the way through, & wont fray around the edges.
All this info was given to me by the owner himself, after showing some interest in the molding process. Truley impressive stuff...

Wow, I didn't know that. That's some really expensive stuff. Is the real CF still pretty lightweight?