Can this dead LiPo battery be salvaged?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a newbie as well and I've done my homework on batteries, but I don't obsess about them. I take the normal precautions like keeping them in a safe place at proper temperature ranges, etc. So far, the Spektrum smart batteries and related equipment are working as advertised for me, and they make things simpler. Hell, I just ran one completely down (which is what started this thread) and resurrected it, so who am I to complain?

While there is no immediate danger in leaving a battery fully charged, be aware that it will cause the battery to degrade faster:
https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

1714446899163.png

*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***

Never charge a battery at a cool temp like 72°F and let it sit in extreme heat above 113°F+ as this will cause the voltage to spike, then the pack will begin to swell and may risk bursting into flames! An example of this is charging the battery inside the house and then placing it in the trunk of your car in the middle of summer and driving for an hour in traffic only to discover the pack has been damaged when you arrive at your destination :(

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-410-charging-at-high-and-low-temperatures

For what it's worth from some rando on the internet.

Get me a saucer of milk, but I don't mess around with them when they go wonky. Although, it's unlikely to actually catch fire, I would still chuck the battery. It's cheap compared to any damage it could cause and explaining to my insurance company how I improperly used a battery charger to "revive" the battery.

It's part of the hobby, batteries go bad.

I'm a newbie as well and I've done my homework on batteries, but I don't obsess about them. I take the normal precautions like keeping them in a safe place at proper temperature ranges, etc. So far, the Spektrum smart batteries and related equipment are working as advertised for me, and they make things simpler. Hell, I just ran one completely down (which is what started this thread) and resurrected it, so who am I to complain?
Again, there could be hidden problems with your battery that your charger will likely not show you. Just because you got it back to taking a charge doesn't at all mean you are in the clear. If your battery has been damaged due to over discharging (very often this is the case when you over discharge a lipo), the resistance inside the pack could be through the roof. If so, your battery could struggle to deliver the amperage your motor is demanding. It could struggle to take a charge. This will cause the battery to heat up and possibly burst into flames. There is a very slim chance of this even with healthy packs. But with damage, and I guarantee you your pack is not as good as it was before this happened, that chance goes up exponentually. As it heats up, that chance goes up even more.

There was a guy here who spent almost 2 years testing various lipo batteries. He did the same thing you did - over discharged a lipo. He was bringing it back up when it vented and filled his basement with toxic gasses. I was on the phone with him when it happened. Over the course of that two years, he over discharged about a half dozen lipo batteries, so he came close to venting a few of them. Had he not been Johnny on the spot when the one did go, things could have been a lot worse than just filling his basement with toxic gasses.

Get a charger that reads IR.

I like to "hotbox" LIPO batteries on a NIMH for maybe around 10 minutes, then put it back on a LIPO charger. If it still doesn't detect it do it a few more times. And if it STILL doesn't, cut the end off and properly dispose it.:thumbs-up::thumbs-up::thumbs-up:

Back