brushless ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbaker65

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
I have an issue an I'm trying to figure out what component is bad.
First off ,I built a brushless street ride an wrecked it ,it slid into a tire of a parked car ,after that it died.
Everything fires up , fan comes on on the ESC,everything functions but no throttle response.
So I want to try an determine on whats bad ,the ESC or the motor.
? is ,how do I test motor with out an ESC with 3 wires?

I'm fine with replacing anyone as they both are cheap ,I don't want to buy a ESC if thats not the issue!
An I hate to have to take the motor off if its not the problem!

Unlikely you have a motor problem. You'd just about have to fold it to break it. Spin the pinion by hand just to make sure it turns freely. It might have jammed a bearing on sudden impact. If that's not the case you need to check ALL your wires and connections to the Rx.
You can also plug an extra servo into the throttle channel on the Rx to eliminate another problem.
I'd actually recommend isolating the Rx from the entire system and plugging into a battery pack and external servos for testing.
If everything is working as it should your next step would be the ESC.

Unlikely you have a motor problem. You'd just about have to fold it to break it. Spin the pinion by hand just to make sure it turns freely. It might have jammed a bearing on sudden impact. If that's not the case you need to check ALL your wires and connections to the Rx.
You can also plug an extra servo into the throttle channel on the Rx to eliminate another problem.
I'd actually recommend isolating the Rx from the entire system and plugging into a battery pack and external servos for testing.
If everything is working as it should your next step would be the ESC.
Thnx for the reply!
I eliminated the receiver because I actually run it in other stuff ,so I know it works.
The motor does hum & slightly moves when I juice up the car ,an when I touch
the pinion ,it has a slight vibration.
I didn't even notice that until I disconnected the fan on the ESC ,then I was able
to here the humming.
The motor spins,its not locked up.

Hmmm....odd. Brushless motors are like AC motors in that they create an alternating magnetic field that the armature spins it. If it hums it's getting current but something isn't right. With throttle applied, what happens if you turn the pinion?
I'm starting to lean towards a damaged ESC but I wouldn't know how you could test that unless you had another brushless motor to connect it to. If you do, you won't have to remove any of the components, just pull the 3 wires from one and plug it into the other.

Hmmm....odd. Brushless motors are like AC motors in that they create an alternating magnetic field that the armature spins it. If it hums it's getting current but something isn't right. With throttle applied, what happens if you turn the pinion?
I'm starting to lean towards a damaged ESC but I wouldn't know how you could test that unless you had another brushless motor to connect it to. If you do, you won't have to remove any of the components, just pull the 3 wires from one and plug it into the other.

Ok,thnx!
I may just buy both,I can always use other asa backup or spare.
They are cheap at hobby wing!

Back