Brushless Truggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Since the only time I have to run an R/C is either late at night or early in the morning, I decided I wanted something that I could run at any time and not piss off my neighbors or my community. After seeing Fasteddy's E-zilla rip it up at the West Coast Bash, and Robmob's awesome ST-R rip it up at the track, I figure why not have a combination of both. Something that is ready to run in 5 minutes, needs very little support equipment and also very fun to drive. I know the Hot Bodies LSP is not very popular here, but it is a cheap platform to get started. My goal is not to beat a nitro, just simply to have a fun project to do in my spare time and eventually have an end product that is both fun to drive and requires little maintenance.

So here we go. My Hot Bodies LSP roller that I got from Mr. T-Maxx. Yup I was the sucker that bought it. LOL

IMG_0998.jpg

I ran into a deal on a Bomb Proof Products (BPP) brushless chassis conversion and jumped on it. Not the lightest looking thing but it is stiff and strong.

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

BPP shock towers and what looks to be a diff plate and steering rack brace.

IMG_1006.jpg

New BPP center dogbones. These things are huge! I put a 1/8 scale buggy dogbone next to them for comparison.

IMG_1007.jpg

To throw all the weight around, I will be running a Feigao C-7XL (2382kv) brushless motor and Quark 125b controller.

IMG_1005.jpg

I plan on running dual 4000mah 4s lipo packs in parallel. They should give me some very long runtimes. Parts to convert the 14mm wheel hexes to 17mm have been ordered. I'm still deciding on a set of basher wheels/tires.

I'm going throw the BPP chassis into the ultrasonic cleaner at work this weekend to give it a good bath before I start any assembly.

Last edited:
Wow that looks awsome! If you can try to get a video of it running.

sweet project! all the magazines seem to hinting that brushless buggies and truggies are gonna be the next big thing. seems to be the vibe I'm gettin. Anyways, I'm not really a big fan of electric large scale stuff but brushless conversions are pretty flippin amazing. Crazy crazy torque. :thumbup:

I am very excited to get this thing together. The rest of the parts should come in the next week or so.

Nice! Great project. My brushless e-maxx rips and to put one into a truggy will just kick ass. I have got to see that beast run when you are finished.

olds97_lss said:
I love build threads... although, most builds start later in the fall?

BTW, that's one hell of a "conversion"!

I guess I'm starting this one early. Time to inject a little fun into my late nights when I come home from work and everyone is already asleep. It also helps me to unwind from a long work day.

I've been looking to find a good set of basher tires. Leaning toward either a set of Proline Masher 2K or Losi Zombi Maxxes. Are there better basher tires that are out nowadays? It's been a little while since I've shopped for MT tires.

And you told me to " Keep it Quiet " Wow..looks pretty awesome SD. I will defenitly keep a day to day up date on this thread.

By the way, I like the little collection of nitro engines you have there on your bench... seems sad that you won't be using one :(.

What are those? Thunder tiger, Omega/Picco, not sure, RB or trinity?

olds97_lss said:
By the way, I like the little collection of nitro engines you have there on your bench... seems sad that you won't be using one :(.

What are those? Thunder tiger, Omega/Picco, not sure, RB or trinity?

The first two were used at the West Coast Bash and removed from their buggies for cleaning, the other two have been sitting for a while. From left to right, RB WS7II, Novarossi P5-N, Picco/Omega sport .21, Associated MGT .21. If only my neighbors understood that a nitro RC makes the same amount of noise as their weedwacker/gas blower/lawnmower/circular saw on a Sunday afternoon they would get a lot more use.

I ordered my 2 4000mah 14.4volt 4P packs today and a lipo balancer from truerc.com. They are having a 7 day "buy two" sale and their cost for two is just a little more than what maxxamps is charging for a single pack. The truerc packs are 5mm wider than the maxxamps packs so I will need to trim the battery trays 2.5mm for them to fit.

WOW dom.I can't wait to see this all done..Makes me want to start a new project..I just need to get my hunting trip out of the way first.

robmob said:
After Reno, I picked-up a set of MT Badlands.

I also got some molded foams which I really like.

Rob how is the wear on the Badland tires in the street? Do they handle pretty well?

I have not gotten a chance to run them yet. Tie compound is harder than my bowties or crime fighters so I think they would wear well on the street.

Hopefully I will get a chance to run at the local park this weekend. There is a nice size parking lot as well as a BMX track that is under construction.

Dom, awesome project! It'll be interesting to see the results and how fast you end up selling it! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Monkey Wrench said:
Dom, awesome project! It'll be interesting to see the results and how fast you end up selling it! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Weren't you the sucker that bought my Savage? :second_place:

I kid because I care!

Here's a few progress pics. Test fitting of the bpp chassis and wheels and tires to see how they will look. Still waiting for my batteries to arrive and a new set of wheels for the street.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

The center diff/motor mount was originally designed for a 65t ferris wheel of a spur. If this smaller 51T spur works out, I will trim the mounts for a lower CG.

IMG_1030.jpg

Dom that is looking sick...i can't wait to see the finished product...
Maybe even buy it from you.When you finish it!LOL

Back