brushless esc/motor sugestion for rc18t

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retarded pilot

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
santa MAY be bringing me a ft rc18t :bling:

i want to put a brushless combo in it & want to know what others who have done this would sugest, one side of me wants the fastest i can get. but the realist in me knows sometimes there is such a thing as tooo much

i want the sweet spot where my speed wants are covered, but yet still have a fun car i can actually drive

what would YOU do if you had it to do over again?

thanks

i have the mamba and tekin there both good for the $ i havent had a problem with either of them..

motor wise, your best bet for power and speed is the 6800KV.. are you planing to go lipo?

I have the Mamba 8000 in my RC18T and it really is just about too fast. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the 6800. What I love about the Mamba set-up is the USB link that allows you to set the parameters of the Mamba using your PC, rather than having to deal with the beeps and lights. If you go with a Mamba set-up, I highly recommend the USB link! Zandor turned me onto it and it sure made life easier with that thing!

I forget which mamba I have ( I think the 6800 ) it wasn't the top one but one down.....it's PLENTY fast.....close to 50 MPH....w/o lipo packs you loose a lot of bottom end...w/ BL setups though so it just turns into a high speed Monster truck.....I found if you like it to really drive like an MT with torque I have better results from the Spy/orion baja combo and you can use regular batts instead of lipo......I may just have mine set up wrong but this is what I see in my setup......BL is supposed to be super torque according to some and just RPMs according to others (anyone have the truth on that?) I never bothered to look it up.......and hell yeah get teh USB link....NO WAY could I do the blips and beeping crap programming

I have the 6800 mamba in my RC18MT, its very very fast, but not too fast, I like it.

I have the Tekin 6800 and its just right. I'm glad Strech talked me out of the 8000 for the same price. The Tekin has track-side programing.

You will need to upgrade the difs, CVDs and steering.

I have the Tekin 6800 as well. I am so far very happy with it. I haven't actually run anything other than a few straight runs... still working on the steering upgrade....... I like the fact that the ESC circuit board is sealed and the solder posts are really nice as well. Good luck with your decision.

Tom

I have a 6800 mamba with a 6 cell pack. I peronally am happy with this set up. I get a nice top speed and enough low end to keep me happy. I will be going to an 8000 mamba and possibly lipo in maybe a month or 2.

If I could do it over again I'd do the same, buy the 6800 first.
The Mamba and Tekin motors are the same so it will not matter which manufacturer you choose.
I have all of the mambas except for the 4200 and they all work great, 8000, 6800, 5400. It just depends on what you want to do. The 6800 is one of my favorites because of it's combination of torque and top end. The 8000 has less torgue and more top end or so they say. Frankly I either run out of room or loose control because of conditions with bot of them. The 5400 is also very good for track racing and easier to control.
Many are moving over to the Aon 4900 because of its torque or the Wraith 7000 which is more powerful than all of the above.
I did buy the Wraith and it is definately more powerful than the Mambas.

*** I forgot to mention the esc. The Mamba esc's are great but even better with the Castle Link. You can program it with your tx or through the software you install on your computer which gives you an almost infinate number of combinations. Although I do not own one the Tekin esc's are smoother from reports and the Quarks are supposed to be even better yet. Both the Tekin and the Quark are more linear but do not have the ability to be computer programed.

It doesn't matter as much as to which one of the motors you buy as much as it will matter as to which batteries you use.

Last edited:
Back