Break in question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preludetospeed

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought a new motor for my nitro rustler and i know of a really long flat field that i could break it in ok because i dont know of a good road. I was just wondering if this would make a difference. The grass is pretty short. Just thought i would ask since it would save me a lot of time trying to find a place.. Thanks

Even if the grass is short, it has to work really hard to get through it, especially at the slower break-in speeds.
It needs to run without overheating, and also needs the air cooling it off.
The break-in determines the whole life of the engine, so take the time and do it right. It will pay off in the end. Good luck with it.

Use the heat cycle method (do a search here) this way the terrain is not as much an issue as tempreature and cooling the head properly. This method is my favorite and has proven itself to add life to the engine.

heres what i, all of my friends, and all of my buddies at the track/LHS use

3 tanks idle
4th tank slow running, burpin the throttle to get it rollin
5th tank, speed it up just a tad, and lean the HSN about 1/4-1/2 turn
6th tank, more speed, heavier throttle, lean out according to temps.

one of my buddies, who works for tower in the engine replacement section of the buiness, he runs the $550 OS v spec speed tuned engine, he used this same exact method. I'm sure he would go some other route if this method didnt work.

well good luck

3 tanks idle
4th tank slow running, burpin the throttle to get it rollin
5th tank, speed it up just a tad, and lean the HSN about 1/4-1/2 turn
6th tank, more speed, heavier throttle, lean out according to temps.

I wouldn't do this method. I would tend to also recommend the heat cycle method that Talon was talking about.

Its about the formation of the cylinder and piston.....a seating if you will.....by idling an engine really rich you are countering that process....thus bringing undo wear to the engine.

It requires heat and cooling in a cycle to get the "seating" right.

Sure you can use the idle in the box method but your engine WILL NOT last as long or be as strong as when using the heat cycle method...

My 2 cents, do a search here as MANY others will back up this line of thinking.

I have done the heat cycle they recommend and the pinch is so tight i have to hold my truck down to keep from jerking it all over the place when trying to start.. I also recommend heat cycle!

I did it, on the street, with the traxxas method. It worked great.... I want to be running it right now but i have to work to pay for all the parts i break. I did the 5 tank break in and then i ran about 4-5 tanks after that. The only problem i had was that it burned up the big gear that attaches to the motor.

I was also wondering if i could run it a little rich just to make sure that it stays cool? I know that i wont have as much proformance but its still about 3 times what normal electrics are (and i said normal I'm sure their are very fast electrics.) but just anted to know if it would hurt anything to run a little rich.

Back