Blank DVD's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayhem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Is there anything bigger then 4.7 gig. I'm talking like 9 gig.

I'm using DVD X by 123 studios to backup the DVD's I currently own and my parents own so they don't get ruined and have more than one copy but most of them have to go on 2 discs and costing 20 bucks for 5 blank DVD-RW's will get costly.

This place rules for PC stuff... MICRO CENTER I get all my stuff here. Fast shipping and check out there bin section for really great deals.

Here is the skinny on DVDs and DVD X Copy.
First, the size of a standard DVD is 4.7 gig. They do make a 9.2 but it is 2 sided 4.7 per side.

A store bought movie is duel layer. In layman's terms it is 2 DVDs built into 1, both on the same side. The common home DVD burner is a single layer burner.

DVD X Copy rips the 2 layers apart into 2 separate images so you can backup your DVD Movie with a home DVD recorder. The Glory of X Copy is you don't loose any video or audio quality and still retain the menu system spanned across 2 disks.

If your movie is under 120 minutes including extras you can put it on 1 disk.

Shameless plug.
I have 4.7 CD-R disks for $1.30 ea. These are a name brand 2 speed disk. Don't be fooled by cheep internet prices below $1.00 each. They are generic disks and are not compatible with all drives. I also have 4x-r, 1x -rw, 2.4 speed +r, and +rw.

PM Me if you need some.

FYI, It looks like X-Copy wont be available for much longer. If you can find a copy get it. You never know what the courts will decide. The going price is $99.00 but it can be found from $80-$90 If you can find it let me know. I have a hard time keeping it in stock. People are buying them up faster than I can get them in. We get $79.99

I saw it at the best buy near me.

So how much are the 2-sided DVD's?
Today I backed up The Tuxedo and it needed two discs. It would be sweet if it could go on one. I just bought a 5 back for 20 bucks when I need more ill contact you.

$4.00 a disk, WOW. 300 for a burner, 100 for X-copy. You could buy 25 movies and still be ahead of the game.

2 sided are available but I don't have a big demand for them. They are more than double the price of a single sided DVD.

Think about it. Where are you going to put a label? How are you going to set it down without the possibility of damage? The only reason I see to get them is the convenience of storage.

I have double DVD cases to take care of that issue. 4 for 1$

Last edited:
I see. How does the Movie Company's make them on one disc?

Do you think i got ripped of? 5 DVD-RW for 20.00

As stated in my first post they use duel layering technology to make the disks. This technology isn't affordable for the average home user.

You payed the High going retail price for them. Just remember you have a friend in the business next time.:wedgie:

Thanks alot you helped. Do you sell spindles of 50?

Why not rip your DVD's in to a Divx format? You can more times then not fit an entire DVD movie on one CD-R with DVD quality or close to it.

Most all new DVD players will play Divx CD's, and any computer with the latest Divx codec will also play them.

-Michael

WoodiE-

Lets say I have this dvd, How do I transfer it from the DVD into a Divx? Would it play in a playstation 2?

Divx is close but still not the same quality.

Don't you remember the X-Copy demo at Comdex where they were showing us the difference?

Thats right, you were chasing that Shemale down to get a photo.:alarm:

Originally posted by Mayhem
WoodiE-

Lets say I have this dvd, How do I transfer it from the DVD into a Divx? Would it play in a playstation 2?

I do believe it would play on a PS2, though i will check into that for you.

As far as converting your DVD's into a Divx file, there are many ways of doing this. Some ways take longer to do then others, just depends on how much time you want to put into the work and how well you want the movies to look. I myself have converted MANY DVD's to Divx most all fitting on a single CD-R and the average Joe couldn't tell the difference from it and the DVD.

http://www.divx-digest.com/index.html is a wonderful site to learn all about divx, its uses, and how to do it. www.divx.com also just released a program called Dr. Divx, I just downloaded the trial version today and will be tryin it out soon.

-Michael

Tell me how the Dr. is i think that transfering into divx would be worth it because CD-R's are so much cheaper. I will be waiting to here if you can play divx in ps2. Thanks!

I have tried and i could not get a divx to play in a ps2.

Look into DVD X-Copy Xpress , Its like xcopy for dummies, but it will fit a full dual layer dvd onto one disk! It takes out the menu, and only copies one format, full screen or wide (you choose). And any other extras on the disk. There are very little options but it does work.

I'm buying my DVD-Rs at Walmart right now. $22 for 10 Maxwell 2Xspeed. Not the best price, but I'm saving up for a spindle of 4Xspeed for my Pioneer 105. I got it for $275, its acually CenDyne or something but they use Pioneer drives and put them in their boxes.

Oh, also they do make labels for dual sided Discs, it sticks to the center part just around the hole, not very big but enough to put a title and what side it is. I can't remember who makes them, but I seen them at Walmart as well.

Last edited:
Back