big block revo build ???'s

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adeezy9183

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys, I am planning to put an axial .28 spec 1s motor in my revo in the future and was wondering what all i should upgrade if anything. I heard that the 3.3 drivetrain is strong enough to handle the power of the .28 but i wanted more than 1 persons opinion. I know that i need a big block conversion kit. I already have the aluminum axles, but the the diffs and driveshafts are stock with 100w diff fluid. thoughts??????????

Diffs should be ok for a while. If you don't have a reverse trans, then it should be ok too. If you do have reverse, get rid of it and put in a FOC to make it stronger.

You have aluminum axles or steel? I wouldn't think aluminum would hold up that well with MT's...

I know of only 1 BB conversion that will drop that engine in and that's new era's leaner mount. You will need a new pipe and header as well. You will have to make the decision to go with a side pipe or rear pipe. I went with side when I had mine as a BB pipe takes up more room than a stock sized pipe.

I ran stock plastic axles on mine when I ran a BB, but I ran a XTM24.7. Wheelied all over. I didn't gear it that tall though as I didn't have anywhere to run that fast. I ended up switching back to my 18TM though as the BB just added too much power for what I did with it.

hey guys, I am planning to put an axial .28 spec 1s motor in my revo in the future and was wondering what all i should upgrade if anything. I heard that the 3.3 drivetrain is strong enough to handle the power of the .28 but i wanted more than 1 persons opinion. I know that i need a big block conversion kit. I already have the aluminum axles, but the the diffs and driveshafts are stock with 100w diff fluid. thoughts??????????

Imo it's not worth using a bb. Too many awesome mid blocks or even small blocks available.

;)Two things attract me to a big block conversion.
1. The big block engines are more powerful & more reliable & easier to tune.
2. They always build a double or triple jump in our track that challenges the truggies a bit and so of course its a real risk with the Revo.If your running the same tires you should be able to put the power down when you need it and drive easy to conserve fuel with the extra torque from the big block.

I am getting ready to finally build one but the bigest problem I have found is with the Traxxas engine mount you can not get to the idle screw once the engine is mounted because the big blocks are set up with the throttle on the other side so when you spin the carb 180 it puts the idle screw at a location that is not accessable. Is the a solution for this? I am not saying a big block conversion is worth it but its just one of those things ya need to do once.

It might depend on how you have the carb sitting. I ran the NE mount and it put the engine at an aweful angle, but I'm pretty sure I was still able to adjust the idle. Not easily, but it was doable. The traxxas mount should have made that angle less annoying since it lets the engine sit more upright.

Back