Best way to kill your nitro?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theblaze1987

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What is the best way to kill your nitro engine? On killer rc .com they sell a cool rc kill switch that goes between the fuel supply line and can kill your engine remotely or can be set to kill your nitro during battery loss to prevent run aways, but from what I gather cutting off fuel and letting your engine go lean till shut down isn't the most desirable way to kill your engine but is it really that bad for it because I kind of like the set up of this kill switch. Any input would help! Thanks. Blaze.

It's a GREAT switch set up, and does no harm. A lot of guys shut them off by pinching the fuel line. Same effect. Plugging the exhaust to shut them off floods the cylinder making them tough to restart.

sav9b.jpg

On this photo, note the red spring loaded button just in front of the fuel tank. Press it and it applies a brake to the flywheel.
sav9.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I am new to this rc stuff and am days away from buying my first rc truck and I'm going with the revo. But your set up looks awesome! What is it exactly? Looks like Alot of customization? I like the idea of your hardline fuel lines and line the relocated air filter. I just love seeing good customization in general and yours looks very nice. Can you tell me more about that break to the flywheel setup is that custome made or a kit? Thanks sorry I am so new tithe sport.

---------- Post added at 1:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:52 PM ----------

Is that valve between your exhaust and the hose to preserve the fuel tank ( sorry I don't know the correct terms) one of these? http://rbmods.net/rbshop/index.php?target=products&product_id=151. That and a fuel filter were going to be two of the first things I bought for my revo how well to those valves work?

It's a savage that has never made it's way outside... :)
If your talking about the chrome thing going to his fuel tank from teh exhaust, it's purpose is to cool the air from the exhaust that pressurizes the tank to avoid heating up the fuel any more than necessary. Again though... since his has never been near a gallon of fuel, it's mostly there because it's shiny. Rolex likes shiny. ;)

1) The flywheel kill switch is the best option.
2) Pinching the fuel line/shutting off the fuel is the next best.
3) Plugging the exhaust is a last resort option.

I usually do #1 or #2, but #2 is only due to me letting it run out of fuel at idle. I try not to have it running too fast when it runs out of gas as that is harder on it that letting it run dry at idle. When I'm finishing up for a day, that's what I do to empty the tank/lines of fuel. Once I see the tank is empty, but the lines have fuel, I let it idle out the rest with a few gently blips of the throttle so the pipe doesn't load up.

Last edited:
LMFAO!!^^^

I was going to say, he thinks that kill switch works, but it has to be driven to confirm that.

I do the run out method by simply putting the vehicle upside down and idling/blipping the engine dry. It's not going to hurt it if it rolls over a couple hundred times while running lean.

When did they go on sale

---------- Post added at 5:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:31 PM ----------

It's a GREAT switch set up, and does no harm. A lot of guys shut them off by pinching the fuel line. Same effect. Plugging the exhaust to shut them off floods the cylinder making them tough to restart.

sav9b.jpg

On this photo, note the red spring loaded button just in front of the fuel tank. Press it and it applies a brake to the flywheel.
sav9.jpg

has it been ran in yet or is it sitting on a shelf:p:

Does the line cooler work though, is it like a definate for any rc'er? I'm new

Can anyone answer my question, does the fuel cooler actually work??

---------- Post added at 6:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:15 PM ----------

What is that blue box that he has after the fuel filter in the above pics?

Exhaust cooler. It's finned and it's alloy, so it acts just like the heat sink on the head.
The blue thing is the electric coil that engages the fuel cutoff from the radio. That unit is available through Killer RC. They also have a newer version that will shut down at low voltage if you run LiPos.
I just don't remember where I got the flywheel brake but I had to do some adapting to make it fit the FLM side frame.

There are 2 exhaust cooler in the return line. One on each side.

009FS.jpg

The line cooler works great to look cool. Does it have any functional gains....I seriously doubt it. The fly wheel stop for the Savage has been out for years in Japan....at least four. I am unsure in the states. To shut mine down I sometimes do a combo of plugging the exhaust and pinching the fuel line to keep the engine from loading up and being hard to start. For most my RCs I keep a wooden dowel rod in the box and press on the fly wheel to kill it. The kill switch is a cool idea I would like it more as the ultimate fail safe though.

Cool thanks for the info and thanks for the ideas and pic rolex.

The absolute best way to kill your engine is to give it to rolex. Cuz once he gets it, it'll never EVER run again.

Haha I knew someone was going to make a joke out of "how to KILL your engine"

Sorry for bringing up and old thread but I was wondering about this. I understand how pinching the line "COULD" be bad being as it does lean the engine out meaning less lube, I also see how plugging the exhaust "Could" make the engine hard to start. I just don't understand how pinching the line is better if it actually leans the engine out.

Back