best steering servo for some what cheap

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE BOSS

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I definately need to upgrade my steering servo, so whats a good servo, i want fast response, quick turning, and sharper turning. there is a guy in my city selling a hpi sf-2 for like 25 bucks is this a good price or even a good servo i know it is the stock one but its still better than whats in mine right now.

I've had my eyes on an Ace RC servo. Its fast and torquey, I believe somewhere in the $100 range. I don't think you'll find any good steering servo for anything under.

i was thinking of maybe getting a hpi sf-5 servo for my savage x its got alot of torque and power, but is it quick.

yah but I'm not tacing just bashing and having fun, lets put it this way it would be a night and day difference between the sf-2 and the sf-5 right, but the sf-5 will drain my battery alot wont it?

The SF-2 is a plastic gear servo. Unless you are using it for throttle/brakes, do not use it for your steering. Plastic servos will strip easily if used for steering. That's why you need a metal gear servo like the SF-5. The SF-5 is fine, but I don't recommend it because of the speed. But I guess it'll be fine for what you want.

ok so that hitec is better than the sf-5, is it quicker, I'm only running a stock savage with stock wheels i may upgrade later but i dont know yet. so i just want a servo strong and good enough to turn my wheels quickly fast and sharp.

The hitec is 2/3's as strong and .02sec faster.

SF-5 specs:
Torque: 314 oz/in 8.9kg/cm
Speed: .20 sec/60 degree (6.0V)

At tower, it says metal geared and the gear kit you can find for it is as metal as a lot of others I've seen. The output gear is aluminum, one other gear is brass and the primary gear to the motor is plastic.

Guessing the torque rating is also at 6V.

hitec 5645 specs:

Speed: 0.18 sec/60° at 6.0V
Torque: 164.2 oz-in at 6V

Personally though, I like the Hitec 985MG. 172oz @ .13sec and is sealed on the case and output shaft with o-rings. That's what I run on my savage and aftershock for t/b. I used to run one on my revo for steering and it would slap the wheels with authority.

I have the hitech 5645 mg and the stock bellcrank was to loose. The bellcrank I got that fits has a weak flange where the screw goes in from the steering linkage and keeps loosening up. Any recomedations on a better setup. By the way the servo does work really good

If you want a good servo that is fairly fast and has good torque, then go with a Hobbico CS-170 for $89.99 from Tower Hobbies. it is faster and has more torque then the other servos listed in here.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRN6&P=ML
SPECS: Speed: at 4.8V = .19 sec @ 6V = .15 sec
Torque: 4.8V = 250 oz-in (18 kg/cm)
6V = 333 oz-in (23.97 kg-cm)
Length: 1.59" (40.6mm)
Width: .79" (20.3mm)
Height: 1.5" (38.1mm)
Weight: 2.18oz (61.8g)
Lead Length: 10" (254mm)

You guys may not like this but ill point you to ebay and a seller named cheap servo guy.2 bud's of mine bought steering servos for thier XL's for like 38 bucks shipped and have said it was the best upgrade they made,well that was before one installed a twin engine setup,lol

If you want a good servo that is fairly fast and has good torque, then go with a Hobbico CS-170 for $89.99 from Tower Hobbies. it is faster and has more torque then the other servos listed in here.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRN6&P=ML
SPECS: Speed: at 4.8V = .19 sec @ 6V = .15 sec
Torque: 4.8V = 250 oz-in (18 kg/cm)
6V = 333 oz-in (23.97 kg-cm)
Length: 1.59" (40.6mm)
Width: .79" (20.3mm)
Height: 1.5" (38.1mm)
Weight: 2.18oz (61.8g)
Lead Length: 10" (254mm)
X2!
Best option for the money, it will last for years.

x3! the cs170 is a great servo for pretty cheap. The ebay ones such as towerpro and towardpro are powerful and super cheap but have the reputation of burning up fast under normal to high amounts of abuse.

I have the hitech 5645 mg and the stock bellcrank was to loose. The bellcrank I got that fits has a weak flange where the screw goes in from the steering linkage and keeps loosening up. Any recomedations on a better setup. By the way the servo does work really good

Is this a savage? Are you talking about the bolt that connects the steering link to the servo horn itself? Or the screw that holds the servo horn onto the servo?

Yes its a savage 25. the splines on the bell crank didnt match up so got a universal bellcrank and the screw that holds the bellcrank to the steering linkage keeps on coming loose. I didnt have this problem with the stock set up

x3! the cs170 is a great servo for pretty cheap. The ebay ones such as towerpro and towardpro are powerful and super cheap but have the reputation of burning up fast under normal to high amounts of abuse.

Sweet! That's what I'm going to use, I found a good deal on used one :D

Yes its a savage 25. the splines on the bell crank didnt match up so got a universal bellcrank and the screw that holds the bellcrank to the steering linkage keeps on coming loose. I didnt have this problem with the stock set up

Usually you can fit a nut under the horn and run a 3mm bolt through the tie-rod and horn, then thread the nut on to secure it. That's what I have on my savage at the moment:
2009-0809-SavageSteeringServoLinkage.jpg

Also whole new steering racks go cheap on E-Bay, 6 bucks or so. Ditch the wood screws and use fine thread metric hardware, locknuts are always an excellent idea.

Thanks, I used a 3mm bolt and locknut and it works great. I created another problem. I stripped the head of the screw on the servo shaft. Anybody know what size it is. It is the hitech 5645. It is a machine screw smaller than 3mm