Best Servo for the $$$

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walleye

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm needing a new steering servo for my Maxx. The old Traxxas just can't get it done. I'm thinking a high torque for the big wheels. The knowledge base here is amazing. Thanks

How much you want to spend is going to determine what is suggested.

Under $50...
either the jr 650 or the hitec 645mg

Beyond that is what you want to spend.

IMO the 645MG is the best for the money. Perfect balance of torq, speed and runtime. I have one in all 3 of my RC's

I'm very happy with my jr650's. I use 2 in my LST, and they throw the tires lock to lock on carpet without any problems. Slightly faster than the Hitec's, and about 10$ more.

I did alot of research recently on steering servos because I had smoked 5 steering servos in my 1/8th buggy (8lb car + 40mph bashing on rough terrain and big jumps don't mix). I wore out a JR Z590, two JRZ270's (should have never tried them, plastic gears), a Hitec 645, and a Blue Bird 660MG.

After doing research I found that the most important thing you can do is get a coreless servo. They last alot longer (the 5 I smoked previously were all cored servos), and are more accurate than the multi pole motors.

When servo shopping look for (in order of importance):
1.) Coreless motor (longer lasting, more accurate)
2.) High Torque (150+ oz, for the huge tires, and heavy weight)
3.) Digital (faster refresh, better centering, more torque generated earlier in servo travel)
4.) Quick Reaction (.15 or faster for getting your inputs to the vehicle quicker)

Note: reaction listed last, not because it isn't important, but usually when you find a servo that hits 1-3, they pretty much all have fast reaction times. Coreless being the most important, because it will take more abuse than a higher torque servo that has a multi pole motor.

Here is a link to the list I made of all quality high torque servos:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=423660&postcount=9

Last edited:
I bought a High torq "TowPro digital" on ebay for $11 (someone told me they were good for the $$) and man I'm actually really impressed with it. Turns my 40's sitting flat and there plenty fast. I figured for $11 it was worth a shot, and ends up its pretty kick ass.

It really is nice to see this thread and all the useful information contained here. I am very new to nitro and today had the exact same problem :arrr: . I decided instead of buying the exact replacement to find some forums and read up on the subject. It stinks when you have something like that happen and it ruins your day. Since I became immediately hooked I have a rule that I follow: always have a backup truck :preachin: . I’m going to use some of the advice here. Haven’t decided on exactly which one yet but I figure I’m going for one of the more expensive ones (hoping that it performs better). Thanks.

Thanks kx250ryder, do you need a digi-reciever or anything else with those? Larger battery pack?

No special equipment is needed. The "digital" portion of a digital servo is only how it processes the incoming signal. It still takes the same input signal just like any other servo would.

Digital servos do have a slightly higher current draw than analog servos do. I would make sure you run a 6 volt receiver pack and not a 4 cell 4.8 volt AA holder no matter what kind of servo you use to make sure you are getting max torque and speed, as well as good runtimes.

The reason digital servos have a higher current draw is that they are checking their position roughly 10 times as often as an analog servo would (for Hitec its 30 times a second analog vs. 300 times a second digital). Since they are checking more often, that means that they respond to your changes sooner, and are able to hold their position better, and generate peak torque closer to center of servo travel.

Another thing is, digital servos don't work in dual steering servo application. The fight each other to reach dead center, and in the process burn out.

Back