Best Buy rip off - optimization waste of money

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm sure some of you have heard about other Best Buy incidents where their "Geek Squad" guys have stolen pictures, songs, even iPods from their customers, plus all the other stuff Best Buy tries to pull over their customers, well here is another...

Would you pay $39.99 to improve your computer's processor speed by 200%? What about software updates that would take you two days to perform on your own? Or how about services that take an "incomplete" computer and make it more useful? Good deals, right? Just one problem: None of these claims - made by real Best Buy sales clerks about the company's Geek Squad optimization services - is true.

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/cons...-is-a-big-stupid-annoying-waste-of-money.html

Bunch of thieves! I've never liked that place any ways.

I'll be honest, after reading story after story about their Geek Squad and customer service tactics I've been shopping a lot less from Best Buy. They are normally my last place I look.

If they open the box and "optimize" the laptop, I would consider it a used unit.

Best Buy sucks.

Don't get me started with Best Buy :angry:

I will pay double the cost to buy elsewhere if needed,I will never set foot in a Best Buy store again.

The last thing I got in Best Buy was a car stereo and new speakers, only because I could get the installation immediately.
Not cheap, though. $40 for the stereo and $40 for each pair of speakers. $120 for the installation.

I don't know where I'll get my computer equipment from now that Circuit City is gone. They were always my main source.

I still buy some of my computer stuff at Best Buy. When I bought my netbook there and was asked if I wanted them to optimize it, I politely explained that I would rather get a root canal without anesthetic than have some overpaid, undereducated and unscrupulous tech do something for $80 that I can do in 5 minutes myself.

Yup another reason I have ALWAYS hated Best buy. They do the same poop with cell phones too. I told them to get bent.

I honestly look to the smaller PC stores if not Fry's.

Best Buy always seemed to take advantage of someone not PC Savvy. I have been told of some real rip offs.

Best way to do it is to try and research the problem first and places that can fix it. I hate Best Buy.

I agree for computers parts I always shop NewEgg.com, when I needed the parts right away (now) I would shop at CompUSA - sadly they closed just as Circuit City did.

I've purchased parts from newegg, but for major items I prefer a 'hands on' deal and walking out the door with the item.

Funny you say that Rolex, I remember NewEgg used to have an old advertisement that said something along the lines of "go to the overpriced retail stores to see and feel it, then shop at newegg to save on it" haha

LOL

That is what I do when I purchase electronics. Test drive them at the store and then buy from Amazon or Crutchfield where I get free shipping and don't pay tax.

I use newegg or zipzoomfly for computer parts when I need them.

i was in the marines with a guy that used to work at a store similar to best buy. He was let go because he would fix problems while the customer waited. He was told that he needed to start keeping more of them to reformat so they could charge for it and he refused. He said if he could fix it right then, then he would do it. The final straw was when a guy he was working with was getting ready to waylay a customer and he walked over and fixed the computer.