Battery safety question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been procrastinating over what multimeter to buy, guess I'll just pick one up this weekend.

Fluke is the only meter I trust but they are pricey. Buy once, cry once. Ah the life of a technician

Yes, they are pricey. But, they are top of the line. Question is, what is the best one for this application.

The cheaper end of the spectrum would be more than sufficient for RC use unless you plan to get deep into reading frequencies, graphing, or anything high voltage. Make sure it's DC voltage range is high enough. If memory serves, the fluke 88.

He's not wrong, but it may not find your 10th or 12th problem. Heck, a 194 tail lamp bulb and some speaker wire will find your particular problem

The cheap ones typically don't last. I was wrong about the model, they have changed numbers I think. The 110 and 117 are good options reasonably priced

He's not wrong, but it may not find your 10th or 12th problem

The cheap ones typically don't last. I was wrong about the model, they have changed numbers I think. The 110 and 117 are good options reasonably priced
You sound like me, smart ass

I'm still holding back substantially too

This one has seen 20 years of hard use and still kicking. Retired to home use now, and has a 'minor' defect on the lcd screen but still goin.

20240517_204059.jpg

And after going back and re-reading your original question, yes, I believe that to be a safe method of disposal.

Last edited:
I've seen balance wires come loose from pack. also poor crimping on the crimped end even a break in wire
check every were to find any of these. If not then dead cell. a simple digital battery buzzer will tell you what cell is bad/about 10$

Bought a cheap one because all the nicer one were locked up. Their loss. What do I need to be checking? My balance wire is red/5 blue/black.

Found a video, imagine that. Using the tabs on the balance connector the readings are:
20 total

Last edited:
Did you try wiggling the wires a bit while you test for voltage? Also, if possible, read positive from the back side of the connecter.

If it's not a problem at the balance plug, then I'd trash it. You could open the pack up and further inspect the wire reading 0 but I wouldn't. Maybe while it's sitting in my fire pit
:)

Yes, same readings from the wires directly.

Back