Baja 5T starting problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novak

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My baja 5T is almost new - I only ran it a couple of times - always had trouble to start it up though.
Last time was the worst, after 100 times pulling that stupid cord, I gave up - in between I checked everything possible to check (Ithink).

Is it possible the fuel I am using is too old ?
- it stayed outside under stairs for maybe 1 or 2 months in one of these red plastic cans. When I started the Baja 2 weeks ago, there was left over fuel and it started (after amybe 10 times).
But 2 days ago when it did not start - not even a bit - I put fuel from that can (of course it is mixed with oil using the recommended HPI ratio).
:angry::angry::angry::angry:

After pulling that much, chances are that the engine is flooded. Remove the spark plug, flip the truck over, and pull the cord several times. After that, let the truck sit without the spark plug for 20 minutes. Reinstall the plug and it should fire.

Are you using the choke? :D

Yes. The choke is always used when cold starting the Baja. When it's hot you don't need it.

Pump the primer bulb until you see fuel in the return line (yellow) and turn the choke lever so it is facing down (closed). Pull the cord sharply until you hear it fire then turn the choke to the horizontal (open) position. Pull the cord until it starts.

My Baja always starts within 3 pulls.

same with me....
make sure you use the choke until it almost starts then open the choke.

do u have a killswitch installed?if radio rx or tx is off even if u pull 1k times u wont be able to start that.always use the choke from a coldstart.then dont forget to open it .if not it will shut off after 3minutes of running.

do u have a killswitch installed?if radio rx or tx is off even if u pull 1k times u wont be able to start that.always use the choke from a coldstart.then dont forget to open it .if not it will shut off after 3minutes of running.

It won't start with the choke closed. If it did, it certainly would not run for 3 minutes.

With the choke closed, you should hear the engine pop within 3 pulls. Once you do, you open the choke and it should start in 3-4 pulls.

If you continue to pull with the choke closed after the pop, it will flood the engine.

oh ok mine run for a couple of minutes hehe.then it shut off it was a long walk thats all i can remember.

What is a killswitch ?
My Baja 5T is new right from the box.
thanks.:)

i was actually talkin about the pico killswitch.where u can turn your engine off with your remote.it also shuts your engine off if u go out of range,if your receiver battery is low.which prevents runaways.its the one of the 1st thing that is a must have for your baja.
since u dont have a modified pico killswitch.try changing the sparkplug.and make sure your that u shut your choke off after a couple of pulls.

Last edited:
i was actually talkin about the pico killswitch.where u can turn your engine off with your remote.it also shuts your engine off if u go out of range,if your receiver battery is low.which prevents runaways.its the one of the 1st thing that is a must have for your baja.
since u dont have a modified pico killswitch.try changing the sparkplug.and make sure your that u shut your choke off after a couple of pulls.

Thanks.
Any good website to find sparkplugs for Baja ?
Is it "normal" that the sparkplug is already done after maybe 1.5 hours of running time altogether and maybe 10 times starting up the beast ?

its possible to foul up a plug that soon.improper tuning can coz this too.

I usually leave my choke on during starting until it starts running a bit rough then turn off the choke. It runs smoothly after that.

Is there a link to the kill switch?

Hi, i got a problem with start my Baja 5T. when try tp pull the little rope it goes very very hard, like it's blocking somewhere... the pull starter is cleaned but angine moving very hard, i can't start engine :( anyone knows why this is happening ? please help me ;(

Hi, i got a problem with start my Baja 5T. when try tp pull the little rope it goes very very hard, like it's blocking somewhere... the pull starter is cleaned but angine moving very hard, i can't start engine :( anyone knows why this is happening ? please help me ;(

Does the spark plug have the right spacing?

can you manually turn the engine over. if not it might be seized up