Anybody upgraded their LST2 engine??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeresmith25

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Was wondering if anyone had upgraded their engine with the LST2 427. I was thinking about upgrading but wasn't sure what engine would work with it.

Also if I did upgrade the engine what else should I think about upgrading??

i have a lst 2 that came with the 427 lots of power and runs cool

Ya mine came with the 427 also. What I am wanting to know is whether the LST2 can be upgraded from the 427 to like a .32 or even a .46 like the Genesis.

There isn't any gearing available that could take advantage of the torque of the .46. It tops out around 20K. But a .32 like Surefire or Axial will fit no probs. I myself am running a ported sh .28 in mine.

So if I went with a higher engine I would have to upgrade the gearing also?

Has anyone ran the old LST wheels and tires on their LST2 yet?

Hey guys,

I put that 14mm hex adapter on my LST2 so I could run the old LST wheels and tires but haven't got to brake it in yet! Does anyone know if the acceleration etc is affected. Now I know the 420 dish wheels and tires are lower profile but it seems the old rims don't have much clearance around the steering knuckles, shouldn't be a problem though.

RB tm928? is this a fast mill? I was thinking of upgrading my lst2 powerplant too. surefire .32 , RB .28 or collari.32? any suggestions for someone who mainly bashes & wants massive torque and good top end speed for racing?

EB mods Novarossi 528XRP. Is a great engine.

neobart said:
EB mods Novarossi 528XRP. Is a great engine.
Yeah if you have $400!!!!!!.My Nova ran great till the carb crapped out..

Ok I have decided that I am willing to spend about $600 on a new engine/upgrades for my truck. Here is my list that I need help deciding from.....

Novarossi N528XRS - Costs a bit but I have heard nothing but good things about it
COLLARI .32 Quite a bit cheaper but will it give me the power I am wanting...3.5HP
SureFire .32 - Cheaper than Collari and 3.6HP
Axial 32 Spec 1s - Little less than the Novarossi

Right now I am leaning more toward either the Nova or the Axial.

Also what is a good pipe and header upgrade for either the Nova or the Axial?

Save yourself a lot of trouble and expense, get a STS .28. Better than any of the engines you want except the Novarossi, but you can have almost 3 STS .28's for one Novarossi.

STS has enough power to keep a smile on your face.

Dennis

BigGrump said:
Save yourself a lot of trouble and expense, get a STS .28. Better than any of the engines you want except the Novarossi, but you can have almost 3 STS .28's for one Novarossi.

STS has enough power to keep a smile on your face.

Dennis

Yeah if you can get it tuned right..

Another great engine is the LRP z.28R spec2 or spec 3 if you can find it.

Was wondering if anyone had upgraded their engine with the LST2 427. I was thinking about upgrading but wasn't sure what engine would work with it.

Hello, jeresmith. I just put a dynamite 28 in my losi and feel it's a worthy upgrade from the 26 class mills. The trick for me is to get the most out of these extra ponnies as possible. I'm doing this by going with taller pinion gears for the clutch bell. This will likely lead to having to mod the engine mount position abit but well worth it. I have to thank neobart for that refference.....Thanks neobart!

http://www.1320.4t.com/custom2.html

Another great engine is the LRP z.28R spec2 or spec 3 if you can find it.
Yes.. I agree on that one, neo. I'm still hoping for my double-trouble order for two LRP z28r's come in...Yea baby...I hear the dynamite 28 platnium is an equal rival to the z28r. Will have to see about that one savagecre, won't we?...........lol

Last edited:
Yeah if you can get it tuned right..
STS engines and their prices are hard to ignore. They can really deliver outstanding proformance. One thing to consider though, Their warranty is unbelievablly limited, and figure in an STS pipe to get the most out of your engine. Ya can't blame them for making there own best pipe. And it is. The RB 28's, 30 rev.2's need special attention in the break-in process. Plan on 1 to 1 1/2 gallons for break-in w/ heat cycling, heat guns, cool @ BDC, leave the shims alone, and make sure you have sealed the mill first, before you start. These little screamers need patients to get settled, but it pays you back in dream HP.

Last edited:
I have two STS engines. A D21T MKI and a D21T MKII. Both are great engines so far. The MKI Has almost 3 gallons through it, and has just loosened up. Yep, only 2 litres ago it still had some pinch left, but now it's all compression. It's a screamer. The MKII is about a gallon into break in, and showing promise. STS has had some QC problems lately. One of my MKI's had a cracked sleeve(exchanged for a MKII at STS without problems). A guy I know on another forum has had two STS engines. One D21T MKI and a D30 rev.2. The D30 had he main bearing fail after 2 gallons, detonating the entire engine. A ball just simply cracked. His D21T had the crank fail after 3 gallons.

They're great engines I just hope they have the QC in check, otherwise I'm gonna have a hard time recommending them.

actually the mach 427 cooling head fits on the .26, if you polish the crank shaft, you get tons of power, and the head gives better cooling and runs just as strong as the 427, if you are willing to go buy a 427 and go through break in get the engine but, polishing and upgrading the head works just as well as getting a new motor

but if you are planningto upgrade the engine in your truck invest in something better
#1 LRP Z.28 Spec 3 ( get titanium nitride spur gears )
#2 Ofna PICCO .28 (get titanium nitride spur gears )
#3 AXIAL .28 Spec 1S or RR (get titanium nitride spur gears )
#4 MACH 427 (everything is compatible, it is a direct bolt in)

well i put the os .30 in mine and the thing is a wheelie machine loads of top end power and good torque on the bottom besides its one good engine my freind has 10+ jugs threw his and its still a rocket but there is alot to choose from but its OS .30 for me good luck jetman

STS.30, the hardest pulling engine out there, next to a Nova, Picco P-3 comes in right under it, but the fuel economy is a bit of a drag. Don't be put off when it comes to tuning the STS, just throw a Nova or Axial carb on it and kiss the tuning problems good bye.

On a side note, I'm totally getting a LST2 now.

Back