Any other bevel gear options for MP-6?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjr4848

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have an MP-6 Sports. The original IF61 part number for the diff. bevel gears (one pair 13T small 43T large - aluminum gears) is $10 a set on Kyosho web site but will take 8+weeks! Cost for whole car is $20 then.
I can order IF21 and IF20 which is the steel gears for all mp-6's but that would set me back $104 for front and rear. (if21 $15 each/IF20 $37 each)

Are these type of gears exclusive to the MP-6? Any "aftermarket" bevels to be found. THe mp-7 series still uses the IF21 but the big gear has changed.

Not much help on E-bay this time that I can see.

I can be cheap and wait 2 months and just order 4 complete sets for $40, keep them shimmed properly and probably be set for life (unless track time is much more abusive than jumping off plywood ramps on concrete parking lots at home all these years of bashing:LoL: )

Or spend $104 on something that has limited stock and also be set for life in a week or so rather than 8+weeks. I know they are steel gears rather than aluminum but it seems pretty steep to me. I feel like I could care better for the aluminum originals than I have for the last several years.

I'm afraid of what I will put myself through (nothing to drive the rest of the summer! - it already sat all last year and I just found out we have a small local track that I am missing out on so I am excited to get things running) to save some $$$ so I want some advice and see if there are options I don't know about.
Thanks!

I shimmed the front gears even though they are a little worn. I shimmed the rear tightly to try and get some gear mesh temporarily. I'll know tonight after work if I was successful at all. It feels alright but the rear may strip right out in a day.

So am I crazy to replace them with the original aluminum gears? They have lasted this long under bad conditions (abuse and neglect) and at this point I don't see spending big money on a more powerful engine so maybe I don't need the nice steel gears. I am hoping this fix will last long enough babying it until I can get the gears from Japan.

Still want some opinions from more experienced people and any other options I could consider. Thanks again

It may be wise to upgrade to a newer buggy. The money spent on steel gears will help get you in the door with a newer used rig that already has steel gears. Once something else breaks on the MP6 you'll end up in the same boat trying to find parts for a buggy that has been out of production for quite some time.

Last edited:
Actually that brings up a gripe I have about this buggy. I bought it because I thought Kyosho had a long time history and long support. I worked with a guy that had a little 1/10 scale Kyosho nitro buggy that was very old and he could still get parts for it. I drove a friends Mp-6 sports and was hooked, the mp-7s would not be in the store for 6-8 months and the price would go up, not much better stuff unless you are a racer, etc. so I thought I was getting a "deal."
It seems like Kyosho is in such a hurry to be the best that they leave everything else old behind.
So if I ever consider getting another buggy are there any brands that are better in this respect to long time part support and still have decent quality? I'll stubbornly hold on to it becuase it isn't worth anything

The first thing I would check is your LHS and see what they carry.

I don't know what your budget is but bang for the buck the Ofna Hyper 7 is a very tough buggy and parts availability online is very good. Also, parts cost is inexpensive compared to other buggies. Used clean rollers can be found in the 100-150 range.

The only other buggy that I have owned long term is a Mugen MBX5 Prospec. Parts availability is very good, they keep upgrading their line so you can upgrade to the latest parts as you break them. My gripe about Mugen is that their parts are expensive to replace. It is one of the high end brands so that is to be expected.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences with other brands.

Thanks sweetdiesel. I'd be curious to continue brand comparisions here. A few years ago Kyosho went direct and eliminated LHS so maybe that is why thier part support is lacking. I CAN get the original gears but they have to be made in Japan.
Kyosho seems expensive at times too compared to the others. I've sensed over the years that OFNA has made a pretty good name for themselves and am glad to hear you are happy with them. They would probably be at the top of my list if there is a time to start over.

The MP6 bevels (in the diff, not the actual ring/pinion) share with the GS Storm. Same exact gears, just different brand name.

BJR I have an MP6 with the International add-on kit I am restoring.

Bmainhobbies in VA has been pretty helpful and they have the best prices I've seen on Kyosho. Update your wheels to the 17mm with the wheels hubs and nuts from the MP7.5 if you haven't already done so. They have them at Bmain for dirt cheap. They got me a new body for 32.00 bucks. 45 on Kyosho's site.

Sometimes the guys at Kyosho will help you if they are in the right mood. They looked up the part number for the MP7.5 Kanai fuel tank splash guard for me and were real helpful.

Thanks for the tips everyone :breakdown

Back