Am I wrong? Or has the aftermarket part selection dwindled to nothing but junk or like maybe 2 stupidly overpriced alternatives?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicJames

RCTalk Racer
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Seems like everything I have ordered recently is nothing even close to the quality of items that I was receiving maybe 6 months back. And the only options that have good word of mouth are just ridiculously over priced! I know it's an expensive hobby but it's getting hard to swallow anymore. I mean we're paying more for motors then we would pay for name brand tools using comparable if not the same motors for less?
Not too mention lipos! I replaced my actual car battery that came with a 5 year warranty. For half of what it would cost me to power my XMaxx. Dang near half of the cost of the R.C. itself. With a fraction of the lifespan If I'm lucky and it doesn't burst into flames or randomly just die for no reason. Just bought the Hobbywing Max 5 G2 just to have cogging so bad it's not even drivable. Only to hear that "maybe" if I purchase the PC programmer or Bluetooth link for another $65 or more it "may" solve my issue. Since that's the only way to update the $225 dollar piece of plastic that encases $20 dollars worth of electronics from RadioShack. Or if I purchased the sensored motor as well. It would likely solve it.... Yeah ok sure right after I get done burning all this annoying left over cash from my money tree.

It's been a hard bash this week!

Sincerely, Karen Flownagg

How long have you been in the hobby? You sure that you know where to look? :)

Some things have become cheaper and more readily available. Most stuff. Big brands did raise their prices, though.
The market for your car battery is thousands of times bigger, while the production process is simpler and cheaper than for an RC lipo.
You can buy e.g. CNHL batteries really cheap and they're just fine.

Hobbywing poop the bed with their latest series of ESCs, that's true.

Seems like everything I have ordered recently is nothing even close to the quality of items that I was receiving maybe 6 months back. And the only options that have good word of mouth are just ridiculously over priced! I know it's an expensive hobby but it's getting hard to swallow anymore. I mean we're paying more for motors then we would pay for name brand tools using comparable if not the same motors for less?
Not too mention lipos! I replaced my actual car battery that came with a 5 year warranty. For half of what it would cost me to power my XMaxx. Dang near half of the cost of the R.C. itself. With a fraction of the lifespan If I'm lucky and it doesn't burst into flames or randomly just die for no reason. Just bought the Hobbywing Max 5 G2 just to have cogging so bad it's not even drivable. Only to hear that "maybe" if I purchase the PC programmer or Bluetooth link for another $65 or more it "may" solve my issue. Since that's the only way to update the $225 dollar piece of plastic that encases $20 dollars worth of electronics from RadioShack. Or if I purchased the sensored motor as well. It would likely solve it.... Yeah ok sure right after I get done burning all this annoying left over cash from my money tree.

Everything I’m buying is affordable. Everything has been of good quality. All fairness, most are stock replacement parts.

Everything in life is getting expensive including RC stuff.
However, I really have noticed a drastic increase. Not to keep me away
from RC at least. .

Phew, so glad I made the right choice of the like maybe two alternatives presented to me in this hobby. 😁

In all seriousness, what motor are you running with the EZRun Max5 G2 speed control? There has only been one instance (for me) where I had a very bad cogging issue between two different brands of ESC & motor. It was really weird to have it happen as I've only read about it such things taking place elsewhere. Fortunately, it was a simple changing of the ESC, and I was back in action.

For me, it only made sense to get the EZRun G2 ESC/motor combos simply because of the proprietary sensor cable Hobbywing includes on the G2 speed controls. I pondered the thought of just running an ultra low budget motor and tucking away the G2's sensor cable, but I have spare (older sensorless) EZRun WP-SC8 ESCs for that. If buying a G2 ESC, might as well use it to it's full potential... my final answer.

I'm pretty much done downsizing/replacing my RC collection. I don't have to worry so much anymore about friends/family coming over to play with my toys, so I don't look for the lowest $$$ options. I like to think that being in the hobby for awhile, a person tends to make more well informed, better quality purchases for their needs. But, just when you think you're doing great, a curveball is thrown your way. Lots of curveballs out there.

Good luck, and I hope you get things worked out.

I personally haven't had any quality issues show up with after market parts. Cost seems to be keeping pace with everything else, which kind of sucks but is to be expected with the economy in the crapper. Good thing about my crawlers is they don't need repairs often. If I want to upgrade something that's on me.

Never had a issue with hop-ups ( I always purchased parts from well-known companies that stud behind their products.)

What you didn't get a 20% raise? I'm with you.

Gas is back to $6/gal, PGE (Gas/Electric bill) is $500, dinner at the Diner is $73 and a trip for two to Carl's Jr. will set you back about $40.

Somehow $100 has become disposable.