Advice for first time race.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymaxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I finally have the courage (and skills I hope) to enter an official race. To make matters worse, it's on a track that I've never put so much as one lap on, and it's one of those two day events,
(qualifying all day Sat, and racing on Sun). I plan on spending all day Friday putting as many laps as I can in to get use to the track.
The track that I normally run on is short and technical. The track I will race on is much larger, bigger doubles/triples, more washboards. Oh yeah, there will be more people on it than I'm normally accustomed to as well. My goal is to simply finish. What I need from the experts is a checklist. I'm bringing everything I have, tools/parts, etc., but would like to hear from the folks who have done this before. Appreciate all the help.

I know nothing about racing, but maybe you need a good luck as well :). Hope you get the answers you need.

GOOD LUCK! :winnar:

Originally posted by militarymaxx
I finally have the courage (and skills I hope) to enter an official race. To make matters worse, it's on a track that I've never put so much as one lap on, and it's one of those two day events,
(qualifying all day Sat, and racing on Sun). I plan on spending all day Friday putting as many laps as I can in to get use to the track.
The track that I normally run on is short and technical. The track I will race on is much larger, bigger doubles/triples, more washboards. Oh yeah, there will be more people on it than I'm normally accustomed to as well. My goal is to simply finish. What I need from the experts is a checklist. I'm bringing everything I have, tools/parts, etc., but would like to hear from the folks who have done this before. Appreciate all the help.

Okay here we go (I may miss something but it should be a good start):

1. Trickle all glow chargers over night (I have three glow starters 2 rechargeable and 1 with powered by NiCD bring a spare battery) to make sure they have enough juice.

2. Trickle charge starter box for 8-12 hrs depending on your gel cell type.

3. Charge or replace Tx & Rx batteries (bring spare set if you are using Nicds)

4. Rebuild all diffs if you have not done so in awhile

5. Rebuild shocks (rebuild kits are cheap)

6. Get extra oil for shocks (if your shock bleeds out you can quick fix it). Also get a couple different weights in case you need to change it up for the track.

7. Check turnbuckle ends as well as tie rods for wear and replace if the tie-rod is bent

8. Visually inspect spur and clutchbell for damage (Repair as needed)

9. Visually check clutch shoes (Repair as needed)

10. Check manifold and pipe for good snug fit (You do not want them to come apart in the A-main and ruin all your hard work for a 2 minute fix)

11. Clean Air filters (bring one spare if you have one)

12. Check to make sure carb is tight...you do not want fuel spraying all over the place

13. Visually inspect the entire car for cracks and/or other damage (Repair as you deem necessary)

14. Loc-tite every DAMN thing you can with Red loc-tite (color of the actually compound is blue) and let cure for 10-15 minutes (Replace stripped screws as necessary)

15. Inspect tires for wear and call ahead at the local track to see what tires they are using. Bring all the tires you have for your buggy and if you find that your buggy hooks up well with a different tire than is mentioned stick with your tire. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

16. Bring at least two extra glow plugs of the brand you prefer (I use OS #8 but as I said that is my preference).

17. Check all screws and washers for a tight fit but make sure there is NO binding in the suspension. The suspension arms should go the full range without ANY binding. Adjust to make sure there is no binding in the suspension.

18. Before qualifying loc-tite all the screws which have come loose during pratice. Also check all screws to make sure nothing has backed out during your pratice.

19. Have your fuel guy pratice fueling up your ride and also have him keep a set of pliers in his pocket in case something needs to be snapped back on.

20. When praticing watch the faster guys and study their line. You will find the guys at the head of the pack usually take the same line. After watching the line and brake points get out on the track and follow the faster guys....there is no need to pass you are trying to get a fast line around the track. Remember you are racing the clock not that guy in front of you.

21. Tune your HSN at the beginning of the day and once you get a good tune do not over tune it trying to exact the last one percent of performance out of your engine. If you have a nice stream of smoke and good power you should spend that time praticing on the track.

22. Make sure to have fun as that is what everyone should be doing.

23. Slower is sometimes faster. Stay in the middle of the track and roll the corners. Nobody ever caught a pipe when rolling down the middle of the track.

24. Have fun! Good luck and I hope this list helps!

zoeybadm - great tips, Thanks for everything. Expecially the reminder to have fun. I almost lost sight of why I got into this hobby to begin with. I'm the new guy with the economy RB. I'm not supposed to win. But wouldn't it be great to beat just a few of the big money guys? I added everything you posted to my already growing list of things to do. Got my upgraded torque rods coming tomorrow and need to buy a few extra crystals. With all the help I get in here, I have a good game plan.

zoeybadm - great tips, Thanks for everything. Expecially the reminder to have fun. I almost lost sight of why I got into this hobby to begin with. I'm the new guy with the economy RB. I'm not supposed to win. But wouldn't it be great to beat just a few of the big money guys? I added everything you posted to my already growing list of things to do. Got my upgraded torque rods coming tomorrow and need to buy a few extra crystals. With all the help I get in here, I have a good game plan.

No problem.

Hey do not worry about what car you are driving or for that matter what anyone else is driving. If the car can get around the track and not die you can win the race. I have learned that in Nitro A-mains are more about survivial than fast lap times. I have seen fully sponsored guys break in the first 5 minutes of a 30 minute main. Nobody is immune to stuff breaking. Driving in the middle of the track is most likely the best thing you can do. It will feel slow but check out your lap times and most likely they will be faster because you spent less time correcting for when you hit the pipe or when you tried to clear the big triple. There is no shame in doubling a triple...sometimes it is faster. You can win races in nitro and never take a triple.

When I started racing it took a long time to get used to driving with a full a-main. So I made a pact with myself. My goal was to finish a race without crashing which meant driving slower no matter how many dudes blew past me. You will discover, until you get into the upper eschelons of racing, that most guys who are hammering to the next turn will eventually make a mistake (maybe not that turn but eventually catch a pipe or something which puts them on their lid). Oh yes and staying right behind a guy is so great because he will start to freak out and eventually make a mistake.

You can beat plenty of the big money guys. Do not worry only a select few can tell the difference between a nice Pro Kit and the top of the line titanium this and that bling bling race piece. Just completing the final race will get you really far. You will be surprised how many guys will break even in the Expert Nitro class.

As I said before good luck and have fun!

I only have the one crystal set (FM chan. 75) and have been told to probably get a few other sets. I have no problem spending the money, I just don't know which other FM crystal sets to get. Should I get uncommon channels, and if so, which ones ? Are their certain FM channels that work better than others ? Or does it matter at all ?

I only have the one crystal set (FM chan. 75) and have been told to probably get a few other sets. I have no problem spending the money, I just don't know which other FM crystal sets to get. Should I get uncommon channels, and if so, which ones ? Are their certain FM channels that work better than others ? Or does it matter at all ?

I run on 75 FM too. Good question about the crystals. I have found that channel 90 seems to be not that frequently used. I would get two sets and that is it. Pick a low channel and high like 90 and you should be fine. Channels being common change from track to track. If worse comes to worse ask a person who seems friendly if you could borrow a set of crystals. I have been surprised at how friendly people can be about lending you a set of crystals.

K, will do. Along with the one I already have I will add at least one more set, maybe two. I'll split the difference. Go high with 90 like you said, and maybe a low one. That way, I have the bottom, middle and top covered. Until I can upgrade to a synthesized system, I must bow to the crystal gods. The channel I run on will be decided when I turn in my entry, I think. There is a place for 3 frequencies to be written in. I wonder if it's first come first serve?

Dude. Everyone has gave you some good advice. All I have to say is -In A Redneck Voice- "Give 'em hell boy!" I wanna see your results posted later.

K, will do. Along with the one I already have I will add at least one more set, maybe two. I'll split the difference. Go high with 90 like you said, and maybe a low one. That way, I have the bottom, middle and top covered. Until I can upgrade to a synthesized system, I must bow to the crystal gods. The channel I run on will be decided when I turn in my entry, I think. There is a place for 3 frequencies to be written in. I wonder if it's first come first serve?

Usually unless the other guy has no other crystals to switch too. As long as everyone is friendly something will be worked out.

I would just go out there and have fun.

Remember you are racing the clock not that guy in front of you.

Some one elaborate please. I have never been to a race yet. I always thought who ever crossed the finish line first wins. THis is news to me.

--NooP

From what I've gathered from watching a few races, you are on a 5 minute clock for qualifying purposes. Everyone is required to run all the laps but the one who finishes those laps in the shortest time is the top qualifier. Qualifying positions would then make up the mains. A, B, C, etc. depending on the number of entries. The mains can be 30 minutes to 1 hour long and I think you are still trying to complete as many laps as you can in the alloted time. Someone correct me please if I'm wrong on this.

Last edited:
From what I've gathered from watching a few races, you are on a 5 minute clock for qualifying purposes. Everyone is required to run all the laps but the one who finishes those laps in the shortest time is the top qualifier. Qualifying positions would then make up the mains. A, B, C, etc. depending on the number of entries. The mains can be 30 minutes to 1 hour long and I think you are still trying to complete as many laps as you can in the alloted time. Someone correct me please if I'm wrong on this.

Correct in qualifying you are racing the clock. In the A-main you are still racing the clock ini many respects. If you complete the most laps in the alotted time you will win the race. Trying to beat the guy in front of you can lead to you racing a different line and making mistakes you would not have if you had followed your own line. The tip I mention above is a mental guide. You should think of the race as an event in which you want to drive as clean as possible and completing the most laps. If you do that everytime you will win races.

whoever finishes the most laps in the 5 minutes is the TQ.. lots of good info.. make sure you charge your glow ignitor.. bump box.. i use a synthesized radio.. and i usually run local on channel 66.. but when i go to races.. seems the only channel not being used is 61.. always good to have a extra channel.. fighting for practice time with other guys who have your channel sux.. but thats part of racing..

Good luck.. and let us know how things go..

By the way.. make sure you got enough fuel.. :) you will have alot of time in between your heats.. that you should be able to go over your car and clean it. and have it ready for the next race.. also gotta get in the habit of making sure you turn your radio off after your race..

good luck.. and let us know how you do.. you will love the atmosphere of a big race..

make sure you walk around.. look at other cars.. and other drivers.. see what they are doing.. ask questions.. learn as much as you can..

The race I decided to make my first one is the ROAR Virginia Classic. No pressure, right ? I have been attending the races on a regular basis, but as a spectator. So I have been watching the preferred lines as well as checking out other folks buggies/setups.
I was going to get two additional crystal sets, but at nearly $25 a set, I am only going with one extra. Between the two freqs, I will work something out. Practice time will be all day Friday. Going early and staying all day. I know what you mean about getting practice time the day of racing, you're right, it's very difficult. I have my checklists and am bringing just about everything I can think of. Heck, I'm even bringing my dremel. I will most definately post my results, no matter how bad. I figure you guys took the time to help me with my questions, the least I can do is tell you what happened.

i always take my dremel.. you should also get you an extra extension cord.. or get you a pretty long one..

Give them hell!

Oh yes and if someone is a f$%k then you can use what some people call "Operation Teabag." I have only had to use it once and to this day the guy has never been nicer....

please elaborate on operation teabag!!! hehe

well i dont know if teabag has many meaning but at school it means you stick your "junk" on there face while you are lifting weights but i dont see how you could do it at the track, So it must mean something else.

Back