actually change of mind! I WANT A HELLFIRE!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pissant

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok i am going to be racing truggy this year. I want a hellfire, the servos will be upgraded! what else needs to be improved?:ponder2:

I'd upgrade the whole radio while you're at it. Maybe some better racing tires too...

I really want a Hellfire too, but I just picked up a Savage X for some bashing instead.

i want one of them to ( who doesn't). at the hobby shop i go to there is one under the counter behind the glass. from what alot of people tell me you should upgrade the pipe and air filter before your first run. which is probably ovious.

yeah id do what ac said and put a nwe pipe and filter on like u said.. basic things pretty much considering its really a beast as it is..

To ungrade a Hellfire I would upgrade the following. Air filter,servos,receiver/radio system.After it would be replacing the alloy upper deck with a graphite one,changing tires depending on the surface and maybe a tuned pipe for better performance,again after serious testing not to waste money.

Out of the box beside the radio/servo/air filter the Hellfire is race worthy.

Check out truggyracers.com. There are currently NO CF upper decks worth a darn. The one available, was already broken by an owner of a Hellfire who said he took a normal table top at the track. No bashing or x-treme stuff.

I just got my Hellfire (wife bought it for me!). From reading that board, there doesn't seem to be anything that is necessary. Well, maybe some spare arms. But seems most of the people over there are real happy with it.

I'm planning on changing the radio gear to DSM, nubz tires, spare arms, and a couple hi-torque/speed servos. Other than that I'm just going to run it.

MonsterCowpower said:
To ungrade a Hellfire I would upgrade the following. Air filter,servos,receiver/radio system.After it would be replacing the alloy upper deck with a graphite one,changing tires depending on the surface and maybe a tuned pipe for better performance,again after serious testing not to waste money.

Out of the box beside the radio/servo/air filter the Hellfire is race worthy.

pissant said:
ok i am going to be racing truggy this year. I want a hellfire, the servos will be upgraded! what else needs to be improved?:ponder2:

The best upgrade for the Hellfire, is to walk past it and pick up a Mugen or Kyosho truggy.

The Hellfire works best sitting on the shelf at the LHS.

Seriously.

From what I can tell by actually looking at the hellfire, I was a little dissapointed to be honest with you. I guess I expected more from HPI on a ground up design. Now don't get me wrong, the Hellfire is a decent rig, but I think to be a true racer it would need to be upgraded. It has potential. Other than the other things listed here as a possible upgrade, I would also get rid of the 1/10th scale swaybars and put in 1/8th scale bars. The truck is 1/8th scale, I do not know why HPI put in 1/10th bars. They look flimsy and do not appear that they would hold up in a wreck. Of course I could be wrong. Just my opioion. Congrats on the new rig.

Tom

Southern said:
The best upgrade for the Hellfire, is to walk past it and pick up a Mugen or Kyosho truggy.

The Hellfire works best sitting on the shelf at the LHS.

Seriously.

okay this statement is made w/ NO supporting evidence so I'll bite....what makes you say that???
I can see why you'd prefer the mugen truck that has shorter arms and uses a patch type design w/ hub extenders creating a wonderfully weak spot for tehm to flex and chew your outdrives and CVDs on....or the Kyosho rig that hasen't really seen much track time yet....please enlighten us as to why we should pass up the hellfire, (developed by one of the largest companies and noted for their durability in the RC world) for the other 2 trucks you mentioned(that are getting asses handed to them by an OFNA I might add).....

BTW I intentionally sounded a lil pissy (which I'm really not) to point out you should back up your claims / opinions / threats or whatever w/ a lil fact or something of a shred of evidence.....those types of posts belong on other forums that like superchargers and smarttechs....

Plaidfish said:
okay this statement is made w/ NO supporting evidence so I'll bite....what makes you say that???
I can see why you'd prefer the mugen truck that has shorter arms and uses a patch type design w/ hub extenders creating a wonderfully weak spot for tehm to flex and chew your outdrives and CVDs on....or the Kyosho rig that hasen't really seen much track time yet....please enlighten us as to why we should pass up the hellfire, (developed by one of the largest companies and noted for their durability in the RC world) for the other 2 trucks you mentioned(that are getting asses handed to them by an OFNA I might add).....

BTW I intentionally sounded a lil pissy (which I'm really not) to point out you should back up your claims / opinions / threats or whatever w/ a lil fact or something of a shred of evidence.....those types of posts belong on other forums that like superchargers and smarttechs....

You're right - that wasn't fair. I think it lost the slight humor slant I intended.

On truggyracers, some folks have reported a lot of dissatisfaction with the Hellfire. Several had numerous broken parts. In fact, the first reports about the problems got so bad, they deleted the entire Hellfire section, because of all the venomous feelings about the design and problems. They ended up restoring the Hellfire section, but deleted all the previous postings, in the hopes of starting with a little better attitude. (I think HPI expressing interest in advertising there, may have had something to do with deleting so much of that negative content.) Broken rear hingepin mounts, bent chassis, lots of broken shock towers, broken arms, broken shocks, BAD tires, steering servos breaking almost immediately, etc. This thing is not ready for prime-time. I don't even think the design is sound.

That's the primary basis for my comments. I do think the Mugen would still be a much better truggy. It has proven to be very successful and has not had the problems you mention. As for the Kyosho truggy, it's due out in April. If he can wait, I would wait for that one.

It's too long to wait, but there is a new Mugen truggy coming out before the end of the year. This one has the extended arms, rather than the extended hubs. I don't like extended hubs, thus the reason I don't have a Mugen truggy (I do have the Prospec buggy, though). Following that, will be their new buggy - also before the end of the year. (These are straight from the horse's mouth.)

I'm not a fan of the CRT, but I think that one is even better than the Hellfire.

Perhaps the Hellfire kit that is due out sometime, may be better, but that's an unknown at this time. The RTR is way overpriced, in my estimation. The steering servo is garbage and the radio is low-end. It's a poor level of electronics. Now, if that setup came in an RTR kit that cost $350, that would be a different story - but in a $600 kit? No WAY.

Everyone has their favorites and individual preference is completely valid. HPI is not necessarily my favorite line of products. I think their best product is the Savage. After that, I don't care for any of their other models. If others like their other designs, that's fine. Just not for me.

I also hate it when someone gives a black-and-white answer, without any foundation for their bold statement. I failed to convey the humor behind mine and shouldn't have left it without explaination.

Best of luck in whichever model you choose, I just don't like the Hellfire.

S.

Southern said:
On truggyracers, some folks have reported a lot of dissatisfaction with the Hellfire. Several had numerous broken parts. In fact, the first reports about the problems got so bad, they deleted the entire Hellfire section, because of all the venomous feelings about the design and problems. They ended up restoring the Hellfire section, but deleted all the previous postings, in the hopes of starting with a little better attitude. (I think HPI expressing interest in advertising there, may have had something to do with deleting so much of that negative content.) Broken rear hingepin mounts, bent chassis, lots of broken shock towers, broken arms, broken shocks, BAD tires, steering servos breaking almost immediately, etc. This thing is not ready for prime-time. I don't even think the design is sound.

ya know, i was wondering what happened on that site. I remember going there when the hellfire just came out and reading a bunch of posts saying how bad the design was, poor craftmanship, shotty builds, etc. For the life of me I can't remember who the poster was, maybe crsmp5, but that person basically ripped HPI a new one. called their design engineers a bunch of morons among other things. after reading that post i cancelled my order and decided to sit out the truggy race this year and wait for the bugs to get worked out.

now what really burns me about the whole thing is, how bad they ripped the hellfire apart, but quickly changed their tune cause HPI wanted to maybe advertise there?? thats BS. guess thats why this place is my home away from home.

deathblow said:
needs more speed bigger motor
You need to go away w/ this immature crap..

Southern:
I was just playing devile advocate.....I appreciate the info on the hellfire...I'm going to wait ou tthe truggy thing this year I think...I was really looking forward to the hellfire myself...I had a feeling it was going to be better than it is, but just looking at it took the wind out of my sails.....

Plaidfish said:
Southern:
I was just playing devile advocate.....I appreciate the info on the hellfire...I'm going to wait ou tthe truggy thing this year I think...I was really looking forward to the hellfire myself...I had a feeling it was going to be better than it is, but just looking at it took the wind out of my sails.....

It has taken longer than I thought, for some of the manufacturers to bring out their models. I have an LSP-R for now, but am hoping to get the Kyosho, if it turns out to be a good one. I would also like to get the new Mugen, when it's out. I passed on the current MSR, because of the extended hubs. The truggy has been doing well, but I just don't like an extended hub design, so I'll wait on that one.

Oh - I almost forgot. I think X-Ray is supposed to have their truggy out this year. That may be an interesting truck. If it's as good as their buggies, that would probably be a great option, too.

Best.

S.

If it's anything like the Xb8 then I'd say that's for me....I ran the hell out of mine and just now findiing out how much I've worn through stuff on it....took just over 10 gallons to kill the uni shafts and outdrives, but I never even thought to rotate them when I did rebuilds....so next time they'll last even longer.....I made a mutant maxx this past year and my track got shut down by wilma til this weekend.....I'm just going to race that this season.....

Hellfire

I've had a good close up look at the Hellfire and it's not a bad truggy at all.
We've got some good choices in the RTR truggy game and HPI haven't disapointed with their entry into this class.
On the UK Forums I've read about some engine bearing failure issues but most UK racers replace the standard engine with an OS .30 to give the Hellfire better torque ad top end
One comment on the Hellfire from a reputable UK racer was that he felt the Hellfire's suspension arms are a little thin compared to what TTR offer in their RTR. It's only a question of time before RPM release decent suspension arms.

I never bought a Hellfire for the main reason it's an RTR, the same reason I never opted for the TTR ST-1
The entire RTR concept may suit some but in my opinion the "RTR" releases leave a lot to be desired in the quality of electronics and engines as well as initial fluid (shocks/diff oil) choices.

I saw one run last week... It was nice to look at, but wasn't very durable at all. Granted, the guy driving it wasn't that great. He broke 2 shocks, 2 arms, bent both shock towers, tweaked the chassis, bent a hinge pin block... he did that while trying to keep up with me and my revo. I think he only ran 2 tanks through the thing. We were at a BMX park, but he never got more than 5 feet of air under it.

i love mine~!!!!!

well i have had my hf for 3 weeks now and i friggin love it!!!! mind you i have only ever had a nitro mt so 1/8 scale is real cool now!!...
I dont know how that guy broke it cause i have cartwheeled cased hard and flipped somersaults like it was my job at my first and second crack at jumping this thing!!!
now i have no problems and i really am getting the hang of how the truck works in the air...
it is really durable mind you i did the necessary mods at first right out the box ie : servo change out and swap sf2 now in the t and b slot and the hitec 5645mg now in the steering ... shimmed the axles and checked all the screws and parts for fitment and slop ... after a 3 hour teardown and rebuild i am truly a happy camper!!!!
sounds like the above driver who broke his should have a tank not a rc car :loser: :ponder2:
i agree the shocks may be a potential problem with the plastic caps but the shafts are thick and coated so brittle i doubt it!! just need a longer screw thru the bottom to fully engage the backside of the a arm
hellfire = great potential to me
thank you
bryan

carlo71 said:
sounds like the above driver who broke his should have a tank not a rc car :loser: :ponder2:

Yeah... he wasn't that great of a driver...

The goofy thing is, I watched him take it out of his truck. I went over, ooh'd and aah'd over it. At that point in time, nothing was broken, bent or mangled. 5 minutes later (I lost interest and went on bashing my revo), I hear him fire it up, make a few straight high speed passes and the next thing I know, he's trying to follow my revo (which is pretty much stock, RPM arms, al shock ends). We cat and mouse for a bit, then he punches it and I loose him in the straight, he hits a small jump, wrecks, I pass him... This went on for about 10 minutes, (him wrecking, me passing...). None of the wrecks were all that spectacular (not a lot of air or speed). He didn't have much control in the air (user error). Then I notice it not driving well at all. Walk over, lower arm busted, shock busted, shock tower bent... He spent the next hour fixing it, then he really messed it up trying something stupid.

I think he was just used to treating his savage badly and expected it to hold up as well as his savage.

not for bashing

yeah i agree it is not for bashing well at least serious jump into a wall bashing but it is durable for my needs i have a mt and it will break without the aluminum arms and spindles and c cups i have on it so with a few mods i think this truck has potential for a basher and racer which is the true purpose of the truck racing .....
:2cents:

1st meeting of our season yesterday and this year we have a Truggie class.

The 1st time i'd seen a HF on a track and I have to say that I was impressed with its performance.

In Handling it was almost as good as a buggy, acceleration was almost as good as a buggy and top end wasn't far off either. Its lap times were comparable with a reasonably well driven buggy. Infact it would have qualified for the top end of the C final.

Then it broke on a flat 4 wheel landing.......