A little lesson to be learnt to me and maybe help others

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel J

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
I bought this old HPI savage from a LCH shop for a £100. All was well until I stripped the plastic spur gear, no biggie, I replaced it with a steel spur gear. Mesh was perfect, but yet a few runs in the metal spur completely stripped yet again. So I bought another thinking this time, I’m going to triple check the engine is tight, the mesh is perfect and slipper is set correctly. Few runs in, I start noticing massive ware on this new spur gear. At that point I was clueless, mesh hadn’t moved, engine was tight etc etc. I was working on the car the other day and just had this urge to wiggle the engine back and forth, sure enough there was play so I checked every bolt holding on the engine, they were tight. I wiggle it again this time taking a side on view of the car, spotted it! The whole chassis plate was wiggling back and forth with the engine causing the mesh to move quite a significant amount under decent pressure. There was two bolts in question that nearly made me loose my sanity.
IMG_2212.jpeg

They were not present, causing the whole plate to move up and down. I tried to screw in some screws but to my dismay the previous owner stripped the screws, so I had to tap in some massive screws with a bit of man strength. Moral of the story: if your buying a second hand nitro car go over every single nut and bolt to prevent spending many quid on a simple fix.

I usually chop up second hand buys..

AKA (TRATs Chop Shop) 😎

I consider any used rig a project that needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
To me, that's the fun part of the hobby. Plus I learn a lot more in a short time of the rig I'm working on.

I thought the fun was in draining the lipo's...

My health plays a major roll as to why I enjoy wrenching on RCs more than I do driving them.

For most, I have more fun working on them. It's the only thing that calms my nerves For me Nitro is the only thing that keeps me interested which is sort of annoying in some ways :)

For most, I have more fun working on them. It's the only thing that calms my nerves anymore.
10000% agree. Nitro is the only thing that keeps me into it, which is sort of annoying in some aspects