3.3 Engine + .15 Transmission.. ??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeken88

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought a 3.3 engine and noticed that it does'nt match up with my 72 tooth spur gear or the 3.3 spur gear. Due to teeth dont match up with the 72 and the original is too far away to grip. What should I do? Can I just buy another clutch gear for the 3.3 engine to make it match up with the 72? I dont know what to do :\

You should just have to loosen the bolts for the motor mount going through the chasis and that should let it slide over.

I put a 24 tooth clutch bell on the 3.3 so it has enough clearance at the carb mouth for the airfliter on mine but 22 tooth will clear enough too..

x-15taillightassy392.gif

It wont go over anymore. Even if I had the 24t clutch bell it still wouldnt touch the spur gear. I just need another spur gear that will match my clutch bell. Anyone know where I could find one that will fit the 3.3 engine?

Attachments

• 07-09-09_1555.jpg
    07-09-09_1555.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 07-09-09_1556.jpg
    07-09-09_1556.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Its your chasis, it looks like you would need the grey transmission (3.3) you can find them for around $50 on ebay I'm not 100 percent on that but retty sure thats what it is

I think your right, unless I can find a clutch bell like the old .15 engine has that would match the teeth to the 72t. I've been looking but can't find any :\

Ok I see your problem......You need to go back to the original spurgear and slipperclutch or a hardened steel aftermarket setup.....With 24/72 my T Maxx has plenty of overall power and hits a top speed close to 50....If you would of linked those two gears up with the internal gears in the trans you would of been so low on the ratio you wouldnt have any pull in the bottom end and would of ran loaded up.....like gibbons said you can also convert over to the grey trans but id get the complete one with spurgear,slipper,brake rotor and centershafts for $65....Good Luck

Last edited:
you need a spur gear for the tmaxx 2.5, the one you have on it is for a tmaxx 3.3

the 72 spur gear is the factory for 2.5, the largest for the 3.3 is only in the upper 50's.

wait so the black .15 trans will work with the 3.3?? the guy at my local hobby shop said the 3.3 puts out too much power for the .15 trans so i got the 2.5r.

wait so the black .15 trans will work with the 3.3?? the guy at my local hobby shop said the 3.3 puts out too much power for the .15 trans so i got the 2.5r.

I'd be pissed! It's all in your trigger finger and slipper clutch. People have been putting big blocks in old Maxx's for years.

Yeah money hungry with a twist of badly mis-informed and a touch of alzheimers...My .15 Pro trans has been holding up real nicely to the 3.3...I had to ditch the stock hard compounders even though they made sweet burnout and drifting treads for the softer/bigger 4908 type and this thing is a blast to drive in any terrain plus now I have to get a new wheely bar for it...I did however upgrade to the wider 4908 a-arms with knuckles ,driveshafts and modded to fit 4908 centershafts to handle the power...the stock gen1 centershafts lasted 30 seconds before popping at the joint

You should of seen the look on my LHS's guys face when I showed him my 4909 version Twin engined 3.3 Maxx a few weeks back..he looked like it was the first ever twin engined vehicle hes ever seen and hes been in the same location over 25 years;-lol

x-15taillightassy420.gif

Last edited:
I just bought a 3.3 engine and noticed that it does'nt match up with my 72 tooth spur gear or the 3.3 spur gear. Due to teeth dont match up with the 72 and the original is too far away to grip. What should I do? Can I just buy another clutch gear for the 3.3 engine to make it match up with the 72? I dont know what to do :\

All I had to do is buy a 20t clutch bell to match up with the 72t spur gear teeth.

i would maybe look into a new trans and upgrade to a 2.5 trans