2 cycle oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use a marine grade oil....

I just buy two of the Echo (or Husqvarna, which is what Lowes carries) 50:1 bottles and mix them both in with a gallon of gas. The final ratio comes out right around 24:1. (two 2.6 bottles of oil = 5.2 ounces, so 128/5.2 = 24.6)

IMO their is only one, I used it in my RTR 5B, SS 5B, and my Yamaha Banshee and never had any problems at all.

whatever you get, make sure its synthetic. the stuff you run in your weed wacker wont cut it. it will work, but the fade in performance is very slow tank after tank so you wont realize how much it sucks. the cheep stuff just wont protect your ring and bearings like you want. the BEST stuff is whatever they have at the motor cycle/atv shop. i have used klotz and now use caster927 race blend. if you use a really good oil you can lean out your fuel mix. I'm running 38:1 with good resoults. but i also change rings about every 5 gallons, not from failure, but to keep it at peak performance

whatever you get, make sure its synthetic. the stuff you run in your weed wacker wont cut it. it will work, but the fade in performance is very slow tank after tank so you wont realize how much it sucks. the cheep stuff just wont protect your ring and bearings like you want. the BEST stuff is whatever they have at the motor cycle/atv shop. i have used klotz and now use caster927 race blend. if you use a really good oil you can lean out your fuel mix. I'm running 38:1 with good resoults. but i also change rings about every 5 gallons, not from failure, but to keep it at peak performance

Echo engines (weed whackers) are essentially the same as RC engines. They are made by the Kioritz Corporation which also makes Zenoah engines, which is why I trust Echo oil.

Echo engines (weed whackers) are essentially the same as RC engines. They are made by the Kioritz Corporation which also makes Zenoah engines, which is why I trust Echo oil.
thats cool. you can use whatever anybody wonts its oil and i dont think any of us are winning any races..BUT.. why not use the best. it only cost $6. and that will last many gallons. those oils may work great in your weed wacker and your rc. but echo mills have governers on them. they max out at 10,000 rpm's. we scream at close to 18k. and we put more stress on our mills then i would ever put my weed wacker thru. what works and whats best are 2 diffrent things. but echo oil probly works fine. its not synthetic, but it works..

I run Klotz benol, in my dirtbike, i love it, smells like cherry, its a racing castor oil, its kinda expensive though, 15 bucks a quart.

thats cool. you can use whatever anybody wonts its oil and i dont think any of us are winning any races..BUT.. why not use the best. it only cost $6. and that will last many gallons. those oils may work great in your weed wacker and your rc. but echo mills have governers on them. they max out at 10,000 rpm's. we scream at close to 18k. and we put more stress on our mills then i would ever put my weed wacker thru. what works and whats best are 2 diffrent things. but echo oil probly works fine. its not synthetic, but it works..

How much oil do you get for 6 bucks? I may have to try and find some of it.

I figured Echo was good until you pointed that out. I'll definitely be buying synthetic in the future.

I just use a marine grade oil....

while this may work, be very carefull. marine grade is designed around motor that are water cooled. it will break down faster at higher heat.

I just buy two of the Echo (or Husqvarna, which is what Lowes carries) 50:1 bottles and mix them both in with a gallon of gas. The final ratio comes out right around 24:1. (two 2.6 bottles of oil = 5.2 ounces, so 128/5.2 = 24.6)

this to is only designed for motors that hit max of 9000 or 10000 rpm, and is suseptable to the same deterioration.

both of these type of oils work, but dont offer the best protection. especially on the poorly applied cy cylinder plating.

hell I've heard of people running Corn Oil and Vegitable oil, strained fried chick oil even.
just because it does work, doenst mean it works properly, or even well. personally i have ran 4 or 5 cy motors and countless other types of these high performance motors over the years. i have yet to have a cylinder plating issue or lean sieze a motor. but i digress that this is due to useing good 2stroke oil, and being able to tune them well. as to get Good Performance, and yet maintain longevity. i had 9 gallons thru a CY 28.5 that was DDM Race Ported. rebuilt it with a new ring and new bearings, and sold it. the motor is still running solid after another 7 gallons from what the new owner tells me.

the only failure i did have was on the original RP Head i got. a piece of the exhuast port let go on the 2nd tanks. it was determined to be a hairline fracture in the exhaust port that allow the piece to break off. likly due to the 17000 plus rpms the motor was pushing. heh.

while Kioitz may own echo and Zenoah, saying the motors are the same is like saying a pinto is the same as a lamborgehini becuz its a car.
lawn equipment, leaf blowers, chain saws, ect, are just NOT DESIGNED to run at 17000 plus rpm period. where as the the Now Specificaly made RC Motors are. IF they were "Basically the same" they would of never created the RC version. while marketing is alive and well, you dont usually see a new specifically designed item made, to be sold to a customer that dont know they need it unless you work in the Pharmacutical Industry.

their are RC versions of these motors for a reason. the old Kawasaki F7 motors *(typical old weedeater motor but made by a quality company like kawasaki) only made max around 10 or 11000 rpm. and if they were modified to kick out more power, like 13000 to 14000 rpm they would last all of one or two tanks of fuel, or self destruct due to them not being designed to run at those rpms. the new lawngarden equipment is very much the same cuz it works well for the inteded use.
just take a current weedeater motor, and port it to run around 14000 rpm and see how long it lasts. now that would be a good test.

thus now we are lucky enough to have motors designed for high rpm applications, and they should be ran with the proper type of oil to be durable, lasting, and live up to what is expected of them.

i WOULD NOT MIX at a thinner ratio than 40:1. regardless of oil and manufacturers claims. i only ran the 40:1 in my Bergonzoni Boss/Tech motor which was recommended to run at 50:1 due to the Extremely tight tolerances of the motor. Boss/Techs tolerances were SO TIGHT< that they actually made 3 different size pistons for their ONE 23cc cylinder. after being plated, each one was slightly different, and got an accordingly sized piston to maintain their tolerance specs> NOW THATS purpose built. the motor would also turn 20,000 rpm repeatably, requiring only a ring change after 10 ltrs of fuel (these were race specific motors).

I've ran AmsOil Professional Saber 100;1 oil mixed at 25:1 and 32:1 and 40:1. great oil worked well, left the motors rather clean, which is great, less residue build up. its smokeless which is great for those PC idiots ,errr people, no smoke they dont think about it as much. but its also basically smell less to me. so i moved to klotz STP at 25:1 to 32:1 again nice oil, its a synth blend and has a nice race track smell, but my motor was much more dirty than i like after only a few gallons. way to much residue burnt on for my likeing.

so i have moved on to Maxima Castor 927. Great oil. things are nice and clean so far upon inspection, has a GREAT Smell, and is designed for High Heat High Stress situations. and its 6.75 for 16 oz, enough for 3 gallons of fuel at 25:1, 4 gallons at 32:1 and 5 gallons at 40:1.

there are other good oils too, Yamalube, blue marble, royal purple are all excellent oils. mix at 25:1 to 32:1, put a good tune on, and enjoy longevity of your motors performance, and the assurance ifyou have issues, your oil did not let you down.

Last edited:
I stand corrected.

My problem now is that I've got a gallon of 25:1 Husqvarna gas that won't run in anything but my Baja. So should it be ok to run it for just this gallon and then switch to synthetic? :ponder2: If not I think my neighbor might be able to find a use for it since he's got about 20 2-stroke engines (lawn service).

I stand corrected.

My problem now is that I've got a gallon of 25:1 Husqvarna gas that won't run in anything but my Baja. So should it be ok to run it for just this gallon and then switch to synthetic? :ponder2: If not I think my neighbor might be able to find a use for it since he's got about 20 2-stroke engines (lawn service).
hey cup. i would give it to my neighbor. it takes awhile for me to go thru a gallon.. as far as where to get it. my atv shop was out of klotz($15) so the owner gave me the castor927 wich is as he stated "just as good as klotz." alot of the mx racers use it. my shop sells it for $7 and thes guys have it for $9. just swing into your local atv shop and get whatever good stuff they have as long as its synthetic. those guys mostly only carry good stuff anyway. and for better punch try leaning out your mix. its safe to run 32:1.. i think my 38:1 is pushing it but so is running 33%nitro, right?
http://www.mountainmotorsports.biz/...0_0_0_0/maxima-lubricantscastor-927-oil-.aspx

Last edited:
you ll likely be ok. its not like running less quality oil will ruin the motor in a tank or 3, just that at HIGH Rpms, and the higher heat these motors make, you alot safer with a quality Synth blend like the Klotz, or Castor927 from Maxima.

yup youll want to go with the castol 927

ok i just bought a bottle of honda HP2 100% synthetic the bottle said 32:1 premix ratio. the guy at my LHS said he runs a 25:1. my question is hpi wants you to run 25:1 well what will happen if i run 20:1 is the extra oil gonna hurt the engine i know i`m gonna lose performance but is it gonna hurt anything.

boat guys run a rich as 12:1. 25:1 is the normal on these motors, but 32:1 should be just fine. i would follow the oil bottle directions to mix it at the 32:1 ratio.

i dont go any less than 32:1 myself. but know others that do and have good luck with it.

no, but you foul out more plugs and flood easier running too rich if your talking about needle settings rich.
if you mean too much oil, no, but I've heard from some it robs performance but others say it adds cuz the ratio is leaner due to less gas in the mix, but the more oils protects it. personally i m at 25:1 to 32:1

no, but you foul out more plugs and flood easier running too rich if your talking about needle settings rich.
if you mean too much oil, no, but I've heard from some it robs performance but others say it adds cuz the ratio is leaner due to less gas in the mix, but the more oils protects it. personally i m at 25:1 to 32:1

thanks that`s all i needed to know. i`m great with nitros but i`m new to the gas stuff.:thumbup:

Back