1/10 Scale electronics question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
IDK if your familiar with ACE from NYC (or Draven 3907 as hes called on youtube) but he has one of the fastest rustlers around. I've been doing a less extreme version of what he is doing but I have a question.....He states in one o fhis videos he can do speed runs with the stock velenion system on 76/35 gearing. I current am trying to run that same gearing and even bought a Castle 3800kv 4-pole motor to help push the lower gear ratio. Mine cogs alot. Now I did buy my 4 pole Castle used off of ebay but it wourks great when I'm running 76/28 gearing.....So can any one take a stab at why the Ace guy claims hes running 76/35 gear on the stock motor yet I can't on a Castle 4-pole?

Last edited:
Is he possibly running a sensored motor? that is probably where the cogging is coming from.

only thing I can think of is your not running the same exact set up

is the stock velinion system brushless? I dont think it is and I am running almost the exact same set up except my car is lighter because I dont have the weight in those nose like he does. That and I'm running a castle sidewinder sct and he is running the stock velinion system.....other than that are Rustys are really similar.

Should a castle 3800kv 4pole be able to push an unweighted rustler on 76/35 gearing?

The stock velineon is Brushless if thats what you meant, I have run a Castle 5700 kv and the stock Velineon 3500 kv, I think the biggest gearing I went was 76/30 even at that both were a cog machine due to it not being sensored and the gearing being so high.

Another thing to think about is the battery you are running. My Savage XS cogged like crazy until I tossed in another battery. I went through 4 packs before I could find one that it did not cogg on. Might need a higher C rated battery.

Sorry guys what I meant to say is... "is the stock velinion system sensored?" I dont think it is and Draven claims to be running in one of his vids 76/35 on teh stock velinion system. I have 40C batts so thats not it. The battery doesn't even get warm, the ESC gets warm and on 76/31 gears the motor gets up to about 140-150F but only after 2/3 of a 3S 5000mah pack. If I changed from 48P gear to mod1's but kept the same gear ratio as the 76/35 set up would that change anything in terms of cogging?

If you look in the video he is running a Mamba 1/8 scale motor and only getting 86 mph so there is your answer. btw fastest I had my rusty going on blacktop w/ the 5700 kv motor and 3cell was 74mph before it took flight:)

[ame="http://youtu.be/_zc9ckyRLFg"]http://youtu.be/_zc9ckyRLFg[/ame]

Last edited:
Back