for those of you with 1/8th scale diffs...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k5floyd

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so i built a max with a .28 picco flm extended chassis and 1/8th scale hybrid bulks/diffs a while back. when the build was almost complete i tried to get a set of custom drive shafts from rc alloys but they never returned my emails. i could never figure out the center front driveshaft problem and was never able to use the 1/8 diffs/bulk. instead i used modified rrp gears and aluminum cups(not sure of brand). i never got to bash on it hard and only went through a gal of fuel before it sat in my closet for some time. the other day after some searching i discovered rc alloys is no longer in business.

now my question is did all of you with 1/8 diffs get rc alloys shafts before they stopped making them/went out of business or do some of you have diff drive shaft set ups?

any help getting these diffs/bulks into my maxx would be ggrrreeeeeeaaaaaattllyy appreciated. thanks.

well bummer looks like I'm going to have to ditch the 1/8 diffs and hybrid bulks, sell my other tmaxx, buy a savage, swap the picco into the savage and 4.6 into the maxx. lol.

I would not ditch them. They are a good product. I would call Fastlane Machine and see if they can recommend a good set of driveshafts. I thought their chassis kit came with a longer rear shaft...??

the chassis kit did come with a rear shaft and it fits. my problem is with the front shaft. i was never able to find a front driveshaft/outdrive/brake combination that worked.

nobody else with 1/8th scale diffs?

I have the hybrids....I use a MIP 2.5 Revo CVD for the center front and my kit came with a rear....who makes your extended chassis? My rear shaft is 110mm long. Not sure if that helps or not. You can contact FLM and see how long their extended shaft is and it might fit.
These two "Might" fit...they first one you know will be real good quality....the second.....maybe and the third not a bad bet. Keep in mind you would need savage drive cups since the ball-end of the dog bone is larger than most.
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/HPI-Savage-Ultra-Heavy-Duty-Rear-Center-Dogbone-113mm-/400040698303

http://www.gpmracing-parts.com/shop...1014lsav1014vl-gpm-tsav1037dl-p-90011421.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HBS61210

Last edited:
i have flms extended chassis, it came with a rear shaft and it fits. i have a mip 2.5 tmaxx front shaft and its a bit too long. i tried matching a few different out drives and brakes on the trans so i could try driveshafts made for other cars but never found a combo that worked. do you know if your mip 2.5 revo front shaft is shorter than the tmaxx version or maybe the total length of it??

well i looked up mips front center shaft for the revo and according to towerhobbies site the shaft is the same length as the one i have for the tmaxx. ughh

Mine fit perfect....My chassis was an ANCNC so not sure what to tell you...Front was a pain I wnet through several combo before I got it right. I got lucky with the MIP dogbone cup from the CVDs and the Revo shaft.....how long is the cup you are using?

I forgot to ask....which version gearbox are you using?

Last edited:
back when i first tried to make these diffs work i had to grind the end of the pinion shaft down and after looking at it for a while it looks like i can grind the pinion shaft down more and MAYBE it will work.

which cup are you asking about? the one on the pinion?

and I'm using a 2.5 tranny. already bought a 3.3 tranny and tried that but the output shaft are larger diameter and stick out further on both ends. plus the tabs on the bottom of the case where the screws go in is a lot thicker and does not fit in the chassis.

frickenjoey i want to see pics of yer truck. what motor are you running??

Running a LRP .28 Spec 3 in mine.....Lessen has a bad ass Maxx too....his is a bit more refined than mine but they prolly run about the same. For your front shaft you could always buy the MIP C-Spline and grind it down to fit it needed.
IMG_7055.jpg

IMG_7056.jpg

IMG_7051.jpg

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_7054.jpg

IMG_7134.jpg

IMG_7130.jpg

Last edited:
Lessen has a bad ass Maxx too....his is a bit more refined than mine but they prolly run about the same.

I swear I'm gonna get that baby running this spring. I PROMISE! Vids too for sure. :) Mine has an RB .28

back when i first tried to make these diffs work i had to grind the end of the pinion shaft down and after looking at it for a while it looks like i can grind the pinion shaft down more and MAYBE it will work.

It's been a long time since I build my Maxx up but I recall having the same issue but with the rear dogbone. Hence why I went with the RCA custom order. However, those dogbones are tough as sh%$ and were tearing up my oudrives. I had a friend of mine who is a machinist make a set of hardened outdrives. I have a few custom pieces on my Maxx. I can't wait for spring!

I swear I'm gonna get that baby running this spring. I PROMISE! Vids too for sure. :) Mine has an RB .28

do you have any pics of yours as well?

I have seen some pictures of it and it is pretty sweet....Lessen take more time putting his stuff together. Like a few YEARS Lessen:D..... lol

ahh i knew you had a build thread somewhere, just couldnt find it.

after looking at your build again i remembered that your maxx was the inspiration for my bb flm maxx

couple questions about your build....

what brand cvds are you using?

where did you get that brake set up from?

how do you like that rb motor? or have you not even run the truck yet?

you are using a fioroni clutch, how do you like it? reason i ask is i am using a werks adjustable 4 shoe clutch. havnt gotten to mess with it tho because my picco .28 has less than a gallon run through it.

and lastly, i noticed your spur/slipper set up. back in the day, 8ish years ago, i had issues with with that slipper design even with rrp steel spur and 12 pegs in my pro 15 maxx. and i only ran the pro 15 motor and a os .15 cvrx in it. anyway just wondering how that slipper set up is holding up? i am using a rcs spur with my bb flm maxx. when i did run the truck i had the spur/slipper locked down. i never got to bash it, just street and parking lot runs, so i never messed with it either. i am not really sure how the slipper should be set with rcs spur due to the fact that it does not have any friction material. i dont really like the fact that it does not have any friction material or the fact that the teeth on it are so narrow, so i am curious about other spur/slipper set ups. know anything about strobe slipper/spurs from UE?

I have never used the one from UE...they are great stuff but also the most expensive out there too. I use a Savage X double sided spur gear on a 3.3 tranny with a modded top shaft to hold Duratrax Warhead rear slipper plates. I have a project in the works to puts a modded Savage top shaft so I can run a full X slipper set up. So far what I have works great though.

I've not yet run this truck so a few of your questions I cannot yet answer.
My CVDs are MIP.The brake discs are Crazy Nut Racing but the brake disc hex is custom made. The spur is also custom made. I've used the RCS spur and it has a tendency to eat up CBs unless they are hardened well. IMO the narrowness of that gear is a major design flaw. My custom spurs are almost as wide as the CB and they also have all of the holes for the slipper pegs so it canbe used with stock parts. I'm itching to get this thing started as there are parts that need to be tested. I'm very curious about my spurs.