My current savage history of upgrades... (photo intensive)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, every since I got rid of my last savage, I had regretted it. Sure it had it's shortfalls (center axle cups wear, diffs explode, shocks explode...), but they are all things that can be overcome and upgraded to last longer.

I got another savage (think I posted about it then) and I'm really glad I have it. Even though I think of it as my "beater" truck, it really isn't. I like it just as much as my heavily mod'd aftershock.

I recently installed a new engine in it along with a 3-speed and a MGT tank. Just thought I'd put up a few pics (shown at the end).

Here it is when I first got it:
2008-1018-SavageExtANDAftershock02.jpg

2008-1018-SavageExtendedSTSD30M.jpg

Shortly thereafter, got rid of the STS (never ran right for the whole 1 gallon that was run through it).

Installed an XTM24.7 engine:
2008-1030-SavageXTM24.7-top.jpg

Promptly damaged the engine during or shortly after break-in:
2008-1101-SavageXTM24.7BustedFin-Break-in.jpg

Made roll bar to protect engine:
2008-1108-SavageRollBarRightRearTop01.jpg

Then both my diffs took a dump (truck was used). So, bought XL diffs and some alloy diff cases so I could shim properly to make a solid diff setup that should last a good long while. Just an FYI, the XL diff cups won't fit through hot racing alloy cases. You have to use older 21/25 diff cups to the wheels:
2008-1108-AlloyDiffCase01.jpg

Ditched the stock tank in favor of a solid 125cc OFNA tank:
2008-1207-SavageTankSide.jpg

Ran it that way through the winter. Then when the first summer bash came around, I realized I wanted more speed and power than the XTM had to offer. Sure it was pretty quick and would throw an occasional wheelie, but I wanted more.

In comes the LRP28S3, new larger MGT fuel tank (as we all know, the LRP is thirsty!) and 3-speed trans:
2009-0418-LRP28S3-MGTTank3Speed01.jpg

Installed:
2009-0418-SavageLRP28MGTTankLeft.jpg

The tank mounts are just 1/4 steel round bar:
2009-0418-SavageLRP28MGTTankOnlyBottom.jpg

2009-0418-SavageLRP28MGTTankOnlyFront.jpg

Could still use some dressing up though.

The finished product:
2009-0418-SavageLRP28MGTTankLeft02.jpg

2009-0418-SavageLRP28MGTTankTop01.jpg

2009-0418-SavageLRP28MGTTankTop02.jpg

Hopefully will get some vids of it in the near future. As it is, I broke it in today and it was one of the hardest break-ins I can remember. No more skin on the inside of my fingers. At the end of the day, it was worth it. When I bend my fingers to pick something up and they sting, the pain reminds me of the wheelies I was pulling at the end of my day. ;)

Last edited:
Heck that think looks pretty clean.....I love my LRP engine....it is an animal. Be prepared to get stronger center drive shafts though. Mine snapped two stockers and a MPI CVD in the rear......love that torque. I may have to steal that roll cage idea....I like it.

Very nice. I heard the LRP is hell to break in. Can't wait to see some videos.

Look nice olds! Did you run a hpi polished pipe on that STS engine? They hate those pipes.

Look nice olds! Did you run a hpi polished pipe on that STS engine? They hate those pipes.

I ran a couple. Ran hot regardless which pipe I ran and had very little power. The break-in pipe I think was an HPI pipe. I tried a more restrictive pipe that I'm running now with the LRP as well.

Little more progress.

New tank, Losi8T Clunk Tank:
2009-0918-SavageLosi8TTankFront.jpg

2009-0918-SavageLosi8TTankRear.jpg

2009-0918-SavageLosi8TTankTop.jpg

I have it tilting forward because the pickup is in the front... I didn't realize that when I bought it. Would have proffered it to be in the rear of the tank. Seems to run ok except for the very last little bit you can tell it leans out a little when accelerating hard. I think it's 150cc or maybe a bit larger now that I took out the internal baffle that limits the size. The 125cc just was too small to run the LRP. Now I get better run times.

17mm RPM revolver rims with XL 17mm hubs:
2009-0918-SavageLosi8TTankSide.jpg

17mm Revo wheels/tires:
2009-1123-Savage17mmWheels.jpg

Got a set of the different ones from the latest maxx on the way in the mail.

Redid the front bumper bracing:
2009-1223-SavageFrontBumper01.jpg

2009-1223-SavageFrontBumper02.jpg

2009-1223-SavageFrontBumper04.jpg

I'm running a different header/pipe combo with the LRP as I was having a hard time getting it to tune right. I think it's a HB savage pipe and I know it's a duratrax warhead header. Tuned much better.

Tried running it on my winter setup yesterday. I changed my gearing down from 15/49 to 14/52 due to the XTM24.7 engine I'm running for winter use. That engine didn't run so well with that pipe, but I shelled out my 3 speed anyway... misplaced screw. Will be trying the warhead heater with a Losi HT pipe once I get the trans fixed.

Winter setup:
2009-1223-SavageWinterSetupExhaust.jpg

2009-1223-SavageWinterSetupTop.jpg

Put a pipe hanger in there to help support the pipe in general so it doesn't flop around on me:
2009-1223-SavagePipeHanger.jpg

Made for a very solid pipe setup now. No real movement at all. Should help the gaskets last longer.

Last edited:
Looks like you are ready for some winter running brother! Mine is ready to go too. I had to...um...well sorry I didn't have to don anything since 50 is the coldest it ever gets here. My old Savy has been a solid block of ice before though....love snow.

I saw the pictures of the missing screw that sucks....I had that happen with a carb on a 1:1 scale car.....ended up IN the cylinder and jamming a exhaust valve.
I had though about the steel HR tranny gear that is made for the 3-speed. I will see how the plastic holds up and it shells I will go metal. Waiting sucks though don't it?

HR? Hot racing?

All the gears in the trans are metal except that one. I'm guessing that's 1st gear. It's the largest spur in the trans.

savage

nice truck lrp 28 great motor i have a savage .25 and have no book can you please tell me the part number for the main gear. thanks for ye time gslst2

Your gear ratio is off for the XTM .24. It's a torquey low rpm engine. It will run great with 16/49. Hell I even seen one 24.7 powered Savvy run 18/49 and pull wheelies with ease at 220F in the middle of a Florida summer!!
The LRP, works well with the 16/49 or 47 as well. It just revs a whole lot damn higher than the .24.
Stick with the 2-speeds, easy, cheap and just as fast.

You have done a lot to that thing. I like your pipe hanger. I have had a lot of problems with the header on my LST cracking out due to vibration and to much flexing I think that some sort of pipe hanger would solve that problem on that truck as well. How did you make it?

Yes it will, the stock pipe hanger on the LST will crack a header all day long. Swap it out for a spring steel one.

For the hanger in the orange tube on the savage, I just used a heavy piece of piano wire. This helps the gaskets last longer since the pipe doesn't move around as much.

On my aftershock though, I use a spring mount that I tweaked to fit along with an aftershock header and re-enforced silicone tubing as a coupler. I have never cracked a header on that rig. It's seen it's fair share of 10+ feet of vertical air:
2007-1230-ASPipeMount02.jpg

2008-0920-ExhaustSide.jpg

Back