Boost bottle - myth or reality?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroaddict

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
okay - so I go to my LHS last night to chat about - and pick up some rpm ball ends. talking to him about diff things to try on my new rc10gt. he suggests a boost bottle. i asked him if he had ever seen one work, and he said no. so he gave it to me for free.

I tried to hook it up last night, but the nipple that inserts into the carb is too big, so i need to get one with smaller threads. in the mean time - has anyone else used one in a race environment, and actually seen a difference?

I understand how they work, and it seems to make sense, but i have never met anyone who used one before. Thanks for the input.

He's a stupid question, what is a boost bottle?

a boost bottle is a small nitrous looking bottle that mounts to the car, and has a fuel line going into the carb.

When a nitro mill decellerates quickly, some fuel puddles in the carb and combustion chamber. then, when u get on the gas again, the engine will bog down for a second or two, before this fuel clears out. you feel this, when u squeeze the go trigger and the car takes a second before the rpm's really climb. The boost bottle is supposed to allow the fuel to gather inside it, instead of the carb, thus allowing the engine to accelerate much quicker. In theory anyway.

This is not that usefull in bashing, but if u race it give an edge in acceleration out of the turns.

There is some skepticism as to whether or not this item actually works.

thanks for explaining how it works. I asked a similar question in the buggy forum, but all nitro dave could tell me is that it help smooth out the throttle. I wonder if the fuel can even get in the bottle. I've seen them mounted on the side where the neck of the carb enters the crankcase. You would think gravity cause the fuel to bypass the nipple hence making the bottle do nothing. update us when you find out if it works at all.

-Rob

I have one on one of my Ts, it is only there because it was there when I got the T. I have tried running that T with and without it on the same day during the same conditions and noticed no difference one way or the other. If you ask me its just eye candy and one more place to get an air leak.

Originally posted by NCNitro
If you ask me its just eye candy and one more place to get an air leak.
That's my vote too. Save your money for something that you can break and needs to be replaced.

el pirata - have u ever used one? i am curious of everyones opinion - my thought was the same - that it would have no effect. but the LHS just gave it to me.

I put one on my t-maxx when I first bought it but I took it off after seeing no noticable difference in the way it performed. I think I still have it back in my tool box or somewhere lost in my house.

I have heard that a nitro mill is to small for it to have any noticeable differences in acceleration. I do not run one, but my friend runs one on his quad and it seems to make a difference in his performance.

I always thought that the boost bottle was supposed to tap into the crank case, usually in the back plate area. There's no way that fuel is going to enter a closed envirnment through a fuel line in a negative pressure area like the carb (as opposed to a positive pressure area like the crank case). Just try pinching the fuel line and hitting the primer button on the tank, doesn't move much at all. Like I said, I've always thought that it tapped into the crank case. This would in effect lower the PSI in the crank case, but more fuel/air mix could be stuffed in there too. This should increase power.

But then again, I don't have an instruction sheet and have never run one. My vote is with NCNitro and Pirata.

Last edited:
While I've never used a "Boost Bottle" I've been told there is NO to very little difference when using them. I've heard and read this from MANY places, thus my reason why I've never used one.

-Michael

I've ran a boost bottle on my O.S. hyper cvx for my RS4 3. But it's not like the MIP types. One of the owners of a LHS I went to sold me a bottle by GP I think (I can't remember the manufacturer). Anyways, per his instructions, I tapped a hole on one end to make the bottle inline to my exhaust side of the fuel line. Did it help? There was was more top end, but very little difference. I installed it on my Savage with the 21BB. And I couldn't find any improvement.

There is another guy who bashes with us on the weekends and had it on his RS4 2 (the mip type). And he swears that it works, it's only a one shot deal though. Since you have to wait and go back to idle in order for the bottle to refill. I also heard that it would be better to run the boost bottle through the crankcase rather than the carb.

I took out the boost bottle from my O.S. and tried running. It would cut out at times or not perform as well as with it. Now I don't bother putitng it on my new engines.

If you install it in-line with the fuel line, it becomes a fuel filter without the filter.

More run time in a flip I guess.

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
If you install it in-line with the fuel line, it becomes a fuel filter without the filter.

More run time in a flip I guess.
Now that's not a bad idea.... hmmmm????

well i tried it - and huess what - it doesn't work. not at all. not even a lil bit. another reason why i am glad it was free. lol. but now we have a first hand account. thank you guys.

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
. but now we have a first hand account.

Please refer to post #5

I think YOU just killed a kitten, LOL :hehe:

We actually now have at least two first hand accounts. They do nothing!