2.5 won't idle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok I just got my S-Maxx back Woooo Hoooo. It has been sitting since July 4th so I decided to go through it and clean everything. When I finish I took it out for a drive but it's not right. I have to have it at half throttle for it to start and as soon as I let off the throttle it dies. I was double checking the idle and noticed fuel was spraying into the air filter, I checked everything again but with no luck. I'm sitting here wonder wtf is wrong with this thing and thought of something. When I took the engine apart I might have put the piston in backwards...On one side it comes down lower than the other, I put the longer side towards the exhaust. Is that right?

It's a stock 2.5 with just under 2 gallons. I set everything to factory settings.

Last edited:
It sounds like you did everything right (returning the needles to factory settings). The piston, however, if it's in backwards, the engine may not complete a compression cycle (or pass thru bottom dead center), due to hitting the backplate.

I took apart a old engine, I put the piston in wrong :doh: I just fixed it hopefully it will run now. I haven't done anything that stupid in a while LOL

Heh, no worries; I put together an OS CV.12 without one of the teflon retainers on the side of the piston, and it wore a groove into the sleeve... The engine ran, with temps around 275 (extremely rich, at that).

It started up and idled perfect ! I was running it without the lid and rolled it on the road...bye bye spur gear LOL. At least it's runninig good