I need a 4WD electric off road car.... Any Ideas?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhatman

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey, I am interested in buying a 4wd electric off road car. I want a car with a lot of speed and built to last. I would like it to maybe be able to do backflips. I am willing to spend money and upgrade motor and stuff to get it a lot of speed. Does anyone have any good ideas? I am looking for a 4wd stadium truck, or 4wd Buggy. Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

The only 4wd electric stadium struck/ buggy I can think of at this time would be a Losi xxx buggy or an HPI MT. The MT is discontinued but are still easy to find on ebay. The Losi is more of a racer but is a very tough buggy. Tamiya makes the wild dagger ( dual motors )but it's a little bigger than a stadium truck.

hey, first i eliminate the HPI MT becuase that is nitro. I have an RC10GT right now, but I can not afford to keep it fueled. I then Looked at the tamiya wild dagger, and that looks good, but there is way to many gears

tamiya_58231_1.jpg

look at that.

I then looked at the xxx buggy, and that looks good.
I am wondering though, how good are buggys for bashing/going in grass? Do they run well in grass? and if anyone else knows any other cars, please help. Thanks a lot.
-Pat (redhatman)

MRC/Academy makes a sweet 4wd buggy called the SB Pro, lots of carbon fiber, and one heck of a racer.
http://www.modelrectifier.com/products/rcCarsBoats/product.asp?ID=1828&Subcategory=RC Vehicles
They also have the SB Sport, no carbon fiber, but still a good performer.
http://www.modelrectifier.com/products/rcCarsBoats/product.asp?ID=1370&Subcategory=RC Vehicles
Or you can get the sport as an RTR.
http://www.modelrectifier.com/products/rcCarsBoats/product.asp?ID=1795&Subcategory=RC Vehicles
Xtreme did a write up on the SB a few months ago, and they were very impressed, so this may be an option for you.

Last edited:
hey, About buggies... Do these run in grass very well (like prob 2-3 inch tall)? Or are buggies mainly onroad/dirt tracks? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

If you put enough power in it (brushless) a buggy will fly through the grass. You could also build a 4x4 Stampede with Rustler size tires.

do brushless motors have more torque, or more speed or both than brush motors? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

A good buggie is the BJ4 by JC Concepts and the Losi XXX 4wd they are both the best out there.

I was wondering how well a 2wd buggy like the evader bx pro, would handle off road like 2-3 inch grass? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

A race buggy like the xxx4 will not work well in grass. Buggy tires (at least on the xxx4) are narrow for sharp handling on hardpack tracks, plus they are real low. Maybe look into an emaxx, or wait for the new e-zilla to come out.

E-maxx is probably more like what you're lookin for.....if you think nitro is expensive to run wait till you get into electric stuff then....

I have an electric rustler not 4 wheel dr but it flys through grass. It has an upgraded esc and a modified motor. I also have Stampede Tires on it for more clearance and also running T-Maxx shocks on the rear. It a fun and reliable little truck :)

Plaidfish said:
E-maxx is probably more like what you're lookin for.....if you think nitro is expensive to run wait till you get into electric stuff then....

How true this is! I left nitro for electric thinking it would be cheaper LOL boy was I wrong. Good batteries $50 and up per pack good esc and motor about $150.00 Then went brushless $240.00. That's not including a truck/car to start with. Don't forget the peak charger another $100. Then after you spend all that money you hit a small puddle of water and fry your esc or brushless system. You can get all of this a lot cheaper but unless it's your first rc you won't be satisfied until you have the needed upgrades.....I know I wasn't.

but the thing is, is that I already have a $40 peak charger, 2 1500 mah batteries, 2 3000 mah batteries, So all I have to buy is an rtr kit. What would you guys suggest as far as electric stadium trucks? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

You can't go wrong with either the losi or associated trucks. They will be fun until you run it about 15-20 times then motor performance will start to drop off due to comutator wear. Then you can upgrade to a good 15-17 turn motor which will be even more fun, but will start to drop off after 10-15 runs. After you buy a few $50 motors you will have to buy a com lathe or go to a brushless motor. Check ebay, there are tons of good deals there. You can find low mile trucks with a bunch of extras and upgrades for less than a new rtr.

if i were to get a brushless, how do I tell how much power they have? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

If your going to mostly bash I would say put a novak 5800 ss brushless in a Rustler. The novak has more than enough power and speed for any 1/10 scale rc. The rustler is not a great racer but it is a very durable truck and cost less than most others.

As everyone else that runs electric will tell you good quality batteries or key! Sanyo cells of 3000 or higher is what I like to use.

Last edited:
TC3? Mine ran great with a rush 19T

Back