just another post to bitch in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaidfish

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Man I love Hardcore Racing stuff but I got to say I'm a little disappointed w/ the mutant maxx.....get this....I upgraded mine to 1/8 scale diffs and have had nothing but trouble with this kit since....I tried everything from lighter diff fluid to every clutch / shoe / spring / Clutch Bell combination I could get (which was pretty much all of them).....and the I'm still burning Clutch shoes up....JEN HCR was great and gave me contact info for the tech team at HCR and the only thing they said was to run 1/10th scale diffs in the kit....I did and now instead of clutches.....I am ruining a good set of diff gears.....the reason for running the 10th scale diffs was the 1/8 scale diffs use silicone oil which robs HP (agreed) but that is the reason the clutches are slipping and getting eaten up.....It seems if the Center spur were designed to accomodate more than a 55t gear this would not be an issue.....I love the way this truck handles because of the longer wheelbase but this is absurd to not be able to gear a MT any lower than a 55t Spur.......anyone else have an opinion on this...love to hear it.......I still like the HCR products as a whole...I'm just baffled by this lack of R&D for this product......can anyone else see this as being an issue when you run a .27 engine w/ those T-maxx diffs.....BTW HCR said they have no problem w/ those diffs......I dunno I'm just bummed right now cause I have mucho dollars in this thing and it won't run right until I down grade the parts on it........just my :2cents:

1 more thing I'm currently running 55t spur w/ 12t CB...Kyosho bearings and 2/4/1 oils

You've got to be kidding, I was thinking of buying the aluminum machined chassis for my TC3.

--I'm gonna move this one to the HCR forum so Jen can give you a hand----

RCDad the TC3 stuff is probably great, never tried it so I can't speak from experience....everything else I've got from them was dead nuts kick ass....

Candyman I guess you didn't read the thread and see that I had already gone through HCR...I was more or less just venting some frustration on a product that IMO had very little R&D....I even spoke w/ Damon @ HCR....he was just not into hearing that someone tried the things he says to do and they don't work...I actually felt like he was tired of speaking w/ me because I tried everything he said to do already...as soon as my conversation w/ him went into the realm of having to modify their design he seemed to not even want to discuss it.......I don't feel this belonged in the HCR thread because I was looking for an open opinion on what I was dealing with rather than a Manufacturer's thread.....thank you for shutting my intention down....

and Jen when you read this I really did appreciate your help and the fact that I could speak w/ someone at HCR about my problem....I still feel this product needed more R&D.....it's almost there in terms of being totally bad ass and I'm going to modify mine to be just that.....I tried talking to damon about modifying the design and he seemed very aggitated, that's cool I understand you guys deal w/ many idiots on a daily basis....I just felt like I was being treated more towards the idiot category rather than an intelligent person, automatic defense or whatever well...I think I've said my peace......I still love HCR stuff. I plan on getting another .21 setup still....

Last edited:
Plaid, I know you're looking for input from other members who might help. Don't worry, they all have access to the thread and can pitch in if they know anything. I just thought Jen might like to see it again to see if there's anything else she can think of.

and a thought from me, who has never used this kind of setup. But what if you lighten up your diff fluid in the 1/8 scale diffs. Won't that free up the driveline a bit and let the engine work a bit better? I'm guessing the attraction to 1/8 scale diffs is their durability. Can you free them up a bit more?

And I'll move this one back to the Maxx forum and we'll see what comes of it....

thanks for the move candyman, Yeah I tried using grease today and it's still not performing like it should.....I fried yet another set of clutches.....I'm pretty sure the kit just needs to be able to get a larger Spur gear on it.....I think a 55t is really more of a low buggy gear rather than a good truck gear......that's the largest gear you can get for this kit....I broke out the calipers and I'm laying out a new Upper deck design in ACADD to get C-N-C'd....Luckily I know 2 shops were friends work and can get the work done for materials cost as long as I do the CADD work......sorry if I sounded like a richard in the last post....I just got back in from another fruitless day of wrenching on this thiing and was a little pissy..........not my usual character......anyway anyone else have opinions on this thread?????

I guess if I'm following the logic of this one, the gear ratio in the 1/8 scale diffs is lower than the 1/10, right? Therefore your final drive ratio is lower. I guess it would make sense then to be able to go up a fair number of teeth on the spur. Can you go a few teeth lower on the clutchbell?

not unless I want to run the smaller CB bearings in an 11t CB....my research has come up with this as a result:
1/10th T-maxx diffs are 2.8/1 ratio
1/8th Kyosho 7.5 diffs are 3.3/1 ratio
the 1/8th scale diffs are a lower gear....
HCR says the Diff Fluid robs so much HP from the motor that it will burn the clutches....IF I read into that I'm to understand that a Fantom .27 w/ a 12t CB is being robbed of low end torque on a lower gearing causing the engine to run higher RPMs and the the clutch to slip???? the simple fact that they are saying I can't use 1/8 diffs is suspect to lack of R&D......how many people get a custom style upgrade capable of carrying engines w/ more HP and not upgrade the drivetrain to accomodate this.....I did exactly what they said to do and I'm still fiddlesticked.....I don't know how they can help at this point......I just have to expect to shred some part on this beast every time I run it......BTW the only time this is really a problem is when I run it on the track w/ any kind of tire used for clay......RPM standard size wheels w/ mulchers; bowties or the sportmaxx tires...I have all 3 setups and they are all leading me to believe it's an overgeared traction issue...ie OVERGEARED in too high of a gear....I was basically told that the HCR guys run these w/ stock diffs and they do wheelies w/ 46t spurs.....WOW...I can get that too....but every 2 to 3 tanks I'm replacing something......I think I've really exhausted every option of bolt on parts there are......and I'm very frustrated w/ the scolding I got for running 1/8scale diffs......I was on the fence between the JT Havoc kit and this one.....I chose this based on all the other HCR stuff I've run and it all kicked ass......this just happens to be a product to be sceptical of.....not knocking the whole product line just this one.....what really burns me is this thing is ridiculous when it runs......I kill buggies w/ the big engine in it......

Plaid, have you ever though about getting some custom gears made? You could get a smaller spur and bigger pinion made. Just make sure you calculate the gear ratios properly.

I think you're best bet is to keep searchin for a clutch that doesn't burn up so fast.

Exactly what types have you used?

I'm currently using the Fiorini turbo sliding clutch on my maxx with the carbon shoes and holy cow it hooks up good.

.21Rc10GT said:
I'm currently using the Fiorini turbo sliding clutch on my maxx with the carbon shoes and holy cow it hooks up good.

That's exactly what I run. I have 2 OFNA .26's in a T-Maxx, 52T spur, 18T CB and stock ratio in the diffs

Lessen said:
I think you're best bet is to keep searchin for a clutch that doesn't burn up so fast.

Exactly what types have you used?

I've tried everything from Mugen, Kyosho and currently trying the OFNA 4-shoe wheel w/ 1.0 springs and Mugen 3 shoe clutches cut down so I can use 4 of them on my flywheel......and what's happening now since apparently I can't get anymore Kyosho CB bearings (last weekend I was told they are no longer available from Kyosho after I fried my last set) so I'm trying Racers Edge Bearings........

Plaid, have you ever though about getting some custom gears made? You could get a smaller spur and bigger pinion made. Just make sure you calculate the gear ratios properly.

I am currently having to get a custom upper chasis cut (or I can run the risk of modding my current one and really screwing myself) just so I can fit the larger gear....I have a deal w/ an accquaintance running a new C-n-C machine.....if I do the CADD work for him I can get it cut for cost.....as far as the gear.....I'm just going to have a plate that uses the OFNA truggy Spur for bolting into the 4 holes on the Kyosho spur gears...but since the HCR stuff uses Storm diffs it'll be an adapter for it....UH that don't sound clear but if you are familiar w/ all those parts it makes sense....

as for the Fioroni Clutch I have been told by everyone at my LHS they aren't as strong...I should figure out why this is happening to the centrifical style clutch before dumping more money into it......they say these setups should work but aren't........I'm finding out that customizing beyond the manufacturer's is expensive.....just in clutches and springs I've spent over 150 bucks in the last 2 months......I guess I should try the fioroni set....oh well I am actually staying up late right now trying to get all the measurements of this upper deck but I'm being distracted by the BUtterfly Effect....weird movie....

Wow. I don't have anything much to add to this conversation in a problem solving way as I'm a relative newbie to this game, but let me say I'm seriously impressed by A: the amount of research you've done into your problem Plaidfish and B: your commitment to finding a solution and C: putting your case across while still defending HCR's products which you say on the whole are great and I for one believe you.

This is a great thread to watch and I'm looking forward to seeing if you come up with an answer. Good luck, you deserve it and it does sound like an awesome truck you have. Any chance of seeing some pics, especially of the detail areas you've got problems with to help my understand your point? Thanks.

I didn't notice anywhere if your running a 1/10 clutch/spur or a 1/8 clutch/spur. I know RC-Solutions makes a nice 1/8 spur and recommends running OFNA 1/8 cb's with it.

When I had a 21 maxx, I was running into the same problem with frying clutches an diffs. I upgraded the diffs with maximizer cups and that's all the farther I ever went with it. Then the clutches were still a problem. So, I upgraded the spur/cb combo with an RCS spur and the OFNA bell. I used a savage 3-shoe flywheel and shoes and then the clutch worked better than any 1/10 clutch I ever tried.

the Mutant kit uses GS Storm SUT center diff/Spur gear the largest I can use currently is 55t...but the Upper Chassis doesn't allow a larger gear to be used cause it will rub the upper chassis plate on the side of the gear (perpendicular to the teeth)....the whole setup is currently Trophy Class 1/8 diffs, Sportwerks CB, OFNA 4-shoe FW w/ mugen shoes (from a 3 shoe kit) cut down so I can use 4 on this FW and Racers Edge Bearings (anyone else hear of the Kyosho Bearings not being available any more?)....I just need to get a new deck made cause I can't really mod this one....the servos are too close to the Spur gear already and I won't get enough space to grind out a place for the larger spur gear....from What I've seen Every truggy kit runs around 62 to 66t Spur gears......people please chime in with som truggy spur/CB numbers so I know what to shoot for.....

Gawd I wish error401 and I finished our project. We have just the clutch for this application where RAW ASS HORSEPOWER is involved. Bulletproof baby. Error are you seeing this. Lets do it!

Also, and not to be meant as a knock in any way, but welcome to the world of modding and high performance. I am in no way saying you are new to that but as you know stuff happens is custimization and there are other variables at hand besides HCR equipment. I know people personally that have got the Mutant nailed and it worked like a charm. I do no know what they did butI can sure try to find out.

Last edited:
please do....I'm getting a new upper chassis cut so I can put a 65t spur on it.....I was just pissed that a company could release a "MODIFIED MONSTER TRUCK" kit and say you can't upgrade the diffs....oh yeah I want to run poopy maxx diffs w/ a .27...oh that will last a long time for sure.....can you find out if your friend was running stock diffs or 1/8 scale diffs and if the 1/8 scale what clutch setup did he use???
what was your project? PM w/ details and I might be able to help get it going....have access to CnC shops and a full fabrication shop as well...

I GOT MY PARTS JUST NOW..........I still need to drill all the holes for mounting but the plates are cut.......I'm gonna have one BAD ASS MONSTER TRUCK this weekend......I hope LOL

Good luck man!!! You should post pics of it when you get it all done :cheers:

Back