Brushless conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
This is what I have for the Savage build. I've ordered a brushless motor mount, and I already have what's in the pic. I need to know what I'll be able to run as far as Lipo batteries. It's a 125 Amp speed control. It now has a full sized heat sink and double fan cooling.

ESC.jpg

ESC_fans.jpg

Last edited:
Its a 2-6s lipo capable esc, which personally I wouldnt run anything less than 4s on a big rig like that, Id go 6s though. Depending on how you have it setup to where you mount your pack/s, you might wanna just run one big one or two 3s packs in series...

Id run two of these in series....

Great price on them at about 50 each. I guess it's about time to upgrade to a new charger, also.

EDIT:
I thought you meant 2 6s. I only need one?

Last edited:
You're right on. Here are the specs for that ESC.

Quark 125B Monster Pro

Features: Monster Pro 125 Ni-MH 5-18 cell Lithium 2-6 cell
125amps (@Full throttle, 25deg C 300amps (@10 Seconds)
38KHz 0.00036ohms Realistic ABS (Proportional) Adjustable
Automatic/Adjustable 110 - 120 deg C Yes/Adjustable Automatic Fail-Safe
On/Off Single Button/4 Colored LED 5V/5A
(Input 8.4V,Peak 8A) 70 x 34 x 19 mm 78 grams (w/o wires)
3 New Reverse Options 4 Torques Selections 5 Braking Selections
9 Drag Brake Selections Can Handle 18 Ni-MH / 6 Li-Po Cells
Super-Low 0.00036ohms Quark's Zero-Cogging Effect

Price $279.95

Last edited:
I'll probably go with the 6s rather than 2 3s. Any advantage of one setup over another? Size and balance location might make a difference.

No real performance advantage imo other than weight placement......If you have not run a rig brushless on 6s yet, make sure you are alone, because you will poop your pants!

LMAO. 6s it will be, then. :dancingpoop:

The only thing I run on Lipos are my helis. Never used it for ground power.

If I run the stock nitro 2 speed trans, does anyone know what pinion would work best, tooth wise? It's a 5mm shaft.

You might want to check what the Savage Flux runs stock and tune from there.

Wait... What am I talking about? It's just going to sit on the shelf.

Flux, of course.
Hey, nothing makes it to the shelf till it's COMPLETELY ready to be looked at. :D

Fixed it.

I would run 5s or 6s to keep the amp draw down. Are you looking for speed or efficiency? If you gear the truck for 40mph you'll get a good compromise. Might be a good idea to convert the truck to single speed. You won't need the low gear to pop a wheelie.

Okay, you need wheelie bars. What about the truck?

If you have not run a rig brushless on 6s yet, make sure you are alone, because you will poop your pants!

I can't even imagine. My all billet Pede (granted it's lighter than the Savage) on cheapo 3S putting out half what the ESC is rated at has retarded amounts of power on tap everywhere, I'll never own another nitro rig.

Rolex, can't wait to see some footage of it running (hint, hint :D). Should be a beast.

My big bore shocks showed up today. I should have the brushless motor mount in the next day or two.
Since this one is electric, I can run it on the property without disturbing anyone.
I'll also need a better duster. :D

I assume you got the RC-monster heatsink and fans in your first post. That is a good start but you will also want to run an external BEC as the Quark will still run hot on 4-6S even with the HS and fans. Also, start with conservative gearing as that ESC also does not like repeated 100+ amp spikes. I had mine catch on fire. :angry:

I knew the 'ol clam diver would chime in eventually. So he is a shoe in for electric guru again this year right? No fires please that would suck...As Dr. Frankenstein's monster said "Fire Bad!" If you think about it 100 amps is alot of juice pumping though that ESC too. Hmmm.. makes me wonder if an external BEC would be a good idea on mine too.

Back