Shootout: OS .21,Picco .26,Platinum 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Chaos

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
:boxing: Well screw the magazines with no balls. I have one of each engine now so if your interested I will give you my opinion over the next few weeks on all of them.They will all be mounted in Revo 3.3,s at the same time.Stay tuned!Anyone have a dyno and willing to donate some dyno time?

Just a guess... but the platinum 3.3 is going to fall short on power compared to the other two. The picco and OS are a tough call though. OS's 18TM ran neck and neck with the 3.3, it will be hard to say how much it really puts down being larger. I'd have to guess a decent more amount of torque at the very least.

It will be much appreciated. There is just not enough info out there about Revo mills.
Dyno pulls would be nice. The 3.3 tuned perfectly was blistering fast, it was just too finicky.

Yes, I was happy with the performance of the 3.3 also.The 3.3 just seemed finicky to keep tuned.Also having some reliability issues.I have not run but a few laps after break in on the OS,I hope to get in some track time on Saturday for Sundays racing.I ran about 40 laps or so with the Picco a few weeks ago. It only took a few laps to dial it in and I didn't have to touch it after that.I have the orings replaced now so I hope to put some laps on that also.The 3.3 is in Texas getting repairs.When I get it back I will have the third truck ready for it.I am going to gear them all the same and have everything set up as close to the same as possible to do some comparrison testing.I also just picked up the telemetry kit with lap timer so I should be able to provide some fairly accurate results.

OK just got the 3.3 back from Traxxas,Rear bearing failer.Its rebuilt and ready for another break in.Great customer service from Traxxas A+++.Previous experience suggests it screams on top but lacks some low end punch.

I have put 2 race weekends on the OS .21TM. A cracked fuel line leaned it out and got it hot the first week 270F,this week I had the hs needle too fat and the ls needle to lean.Would not shift into second but hey it held up and I did win the heat race.Its taken a licken and keeps on ticking.Its got some good low end punch but feels a little flat on top.

I was running the Picco .26 Max tonight and it has some balls. The power curve seams a little peaky/spikey but it puts the triples at your finger tip.I cracked a fuel line today and got it a little hot 278F.

I need more time to ring em out but as of now I would say this:

3.3 - for $115.00 its a great engine.It likes to run hot,is a little finicky to keep tuned,but screams on the top end will win races.

OS .21 TM - solid mill.Easy to tune,good power band,$280.00 is a little salty.If it outlasts the others though its worth it.

Picco .26 Max - Sweet looking engine,plenty of power,tunes well,have some complaints,carb/throttle barrel sticks,limited gear selection because of less adjustment with the mount,need to run a special mount.$200.00 is a nice price point.This engine is still tight!Would be illegal to race at many tracks(not mine though) and its thirsty,you need a big tank.

To close too call yet.

Have you ever run a OS18TM?

Just curious.

No never have.The LHS has a few 18,s left but I herd they were discontinued and replaced with the 21 so I picked up the 21.

The fast guys seem to run the OS.18TZ I think it is.One guy I was talking with races every week at the hut and he is one of if not the fasted drivers Brian Webb?. He beat Mark Corrderro? (Traxxas North East Driver).He is running the .18 TZ and so is Mark I beleive.A few others are running the .21 Big Block OS V Spec.

This is the first OS I have owned.

Ok. I was just curious. The TZ and TM aren't too far apart power wise. I believe the TM has a little less peak HP than the 3.3, but in general a better power band and easier to tune. If the 21 is basically the 18TM, just larger... it has to be a heck of an engine. Hopefully it treats you as well as my 18TM has over the past couple of years.

I think for a basher, the larger engines are fun, but when I ran a BB revo (XTM 24.7) I just got tired of dealing with all the power... wheelies did get boring. If I geared it fast, it was far to fast for anywhere I have to run... and it would still pull wheelies all day long.

I would have to guess, those little screamer 18's are a tough item to beat for racing.

I thought my 21TM was lacking on top too, but in all fairness it needs more time on it.
God I hope it frees up some more RPMs. If it does not free up more, my Savage Nemesis racer buddy is going to outrun me on the straights. CAN'T have that.
I'm dropping to the LC4 plug with the Byron's 30 next run. Sometimes a cooler plug helps top end.

Well I broke in the 3.3 I got back from Traxxas today.I had all three trucks out for a few laps at the track.The 3.3 screems.Its got as much HP as any of them I bet. The OS seems to have good HP with better torque than the 3.3.It does not rev like the Traxxas 3.3 but it seems it does not have to.The Picco seems to have gobs of torque but lacks top end.

I need more time to evaluate all but if you asked me today what one I was going to race Sunday I would say I would feel good about racing any one of them but the OS is the race motor this Sunday.

Have you ever run a OS18TM?

Just curious.

I did today,wow I was impressed.Its a screamer like the 3.3 .Oh you know it was a OS 18TZ but yes it was fun to drive.

I need more time to evaluate all but if you asked me today what one I was going to race Sunday I would say ...

Well the OS .21TM is on its way back to get serviced.Its just seemed not quite right from the start but I am still learning so I thought it was just me.I had the owner of the LHS tuning it with me and we just could not get it right.He suggested lets send it back and see what they have to say.I will keep you posted.

The 3.3 I got back from Traxxas rebuilt rips!Great service,they stand behind their product!This is the best 3.3 I have had most have been finicky and short lived.(partly my fault).

I put a few tanks through the Picco today at the track.I changed to a 16/38 gear and I think it would like the 16/36 combo even better.Traxxas single chamber resonatot and light red clutch springs in the M2C 3 shoe .I am running it on ther rich side to be safe but this combo is very easy to drive and puts down consistant laps with good times.I am really growing found of this engine now the bugs are worked out.It holds a tune well and runs 225 deg. all day.

Last edited:
You think the Picco could maybe push a 17T or 18T CB?
It's official, the BB engines were outrunning my O.S. on top end this weekend. It really ticked me off. A 280 dollar engine should not get outran so easily. I think I need to just go buy a 17T and see what happens with it.
I had it screaming for one heat race. It was running good, blowing smoke..... then I temped it after the heat. 318F! Oh well.

Yea it seems when the OS is running great its just too hot and I worry about the longevity.It is stated right in the TM manual if you run it hot you will end up with a worthless pice of metal or something like that.@ $270.00 give or take I can buy 3 3.3/s (new on ebay)and run it on the edge knowing I have two more to spare.

With the Picco you can run more conservitive and still have the power.The Picco runs more of the track in second gear.The shifts are seamless with the close ratio set and tire spin is reduced in second gear coupled with the ealier clutch engagement and taller gear it stays in the power band most of the time.

I am real tempted to slap on a BB kit and drop in a V spec or something like that.Overkill on power yes but reliability would be way better I bet.The one owner of the LHS is running a .21 GO engine in his truggy all season so far that sells for $200.00 or so and it will outrun the .21TM.

To be continued...

You think the Picco could maybe push a 17T or 18T CB?

Yes I was thinking a 17 but you are limited to what combo will work because of spur gear / bell mesh adjustment limitations with the mount.I am pretty sure a 16/36 will work.

The 17 may be what the .21TM needs.It should run cooler and add some top end speed.

Also remenber tire diameter effects gearing and the standard ratio gear set would keep 1st gear the same ratio as the close set but stretch out 2nd a little wich might be what we are looking for(straight away speed)

Last edited:
Got the OS back today with a fresh rebuild.Great customer support!I hope I can keep it alive longer this time.

Looks like the 3.3 is on its way out.I need to tear it down and look it over but something is amiss I believe.I can not keep these things alive.

The Picco is running good.Its a solid,fast dependable engine.Since I dropped in the M2C 3 shoe with red(light .95 ) springs and a 16 bell with the single chamber pipe I love it.I wish I could find a bump start backplate for it though.

If you asked me today what one is my favorite I would say the Picco.Now I want a Red Dot .26 Max :D

Well I ended up at the track on race day Sunday morning with 3 Revo's with 3 engines and all had problems.In a last ditch effort to race I pulled out a new never run 3.3 from my box and proceeded to instal.I ran 2 tanks through it in the field where we park.I ran 2 tanks through it in practice on the track.I leaned both needles 1 hour from breakin settings and lined up for the Sportsman Truggy heat #1 and won the heat.Between 6 heats,3 truggy and 3 Monster Truck I won 2,and finished 2nd - 4th in the rest.Finished 2nd in the Sportsman Truggy A and started the MT A as TQ.I got run over buy two guys at the same time and ripped a pivot ball out of the front A arm but managed a quick repair and got back in to finish 5th.The engine ran flawlessly.
I don't know how long it will last but none of my others lasted anyway.

These 3.3's rip for a small block.The OWB froze up on the Picco and I think it screwed up the crank or bearing.I have not broke in the OS TM.21 since the rebuild.

The saga continues!

Hey Scrogg what up with you?

Last edited:
Not too much bud. i won another local club race with my O.S. I just keep pushing it in the 250-270 range and it seems fine. I'm a little over 2 gallons on it now. it still to this day has not even fouled a plug. It stays right with the 18TZ's and pretty much all the other trucks. The 15T CB just seems to be the ticket on my rig.
I weighed the truck the other day and was shocked! 9 lbs. 7 oz. with fuel in it! I had no idea I had gotten it that light.
Also I ran my first buggy race. 6th place out of 12 buggies, I was pretty happy. i had to make a few track side repairs and still beat half the guys! These are all guys running high end buggies too, I was just running my Ofna 9.5 buggy with a 3 port Picco on it.
I hurt a lot of guys feelings who spent more on their engine than I did on my whole buggy!lol

I never drove a buggy or truggy.I was told by an old buggy racing that a buggy is to a monster truck as a pick up truck to a Corvette.Its seems like a finess style of driving would work for the buggy?

I have been having some crazy bad luck with engines the past few weeks.Air cleaner popped off a 3.3 and ground up that motor(only had one weekend of racing on it),block cracked on a 3.3 and the cylinder head popped up about a 1/2",the crank shaft in the Picco developed major play(I think the owb siezed),and this is all after loosing one to a glow plug wire breaking off and dropping into the cylinder on a 3.3 and a fuel line crack that leaned a 3.3 out and got to hot(compression loss).I not touching the rebuilt OS until this black cloud blows over.I don't need another paper wieght!

Good to hear you are running well.That Picco buggy looks cool!

Dang you are having some luck there!
DEFINITELY find a friend with a buggy willing to let you test drive it.
They are so nimble and outright quick it is unreal. The pickup truck to the corvette is a good way of putting it.

Well the 2008 hut season is over and none,zero,notta, of the motors survived the grueling two seasons.For season 2 I raced thr Revo in Sportsman Truggy also so with practice,heats,and mains They all seen a lot of fuel.Team Chaos placed 2nd in MT and 5th in Sportsman Truggy for season #2 08.

Now that my tuning skills have improved I did learn a few things about the engines.

Traxxas 3.3: these things eat bearings like the cookie monster eats cookies. They are fast and like to scream.

OS .21TM: It sucks there is no easy way to convert to bump box.Reliability and price don't seem to match. They have a strong low end punch and mid range.

Picco .26 Max: Problem with the o rings on the low speed needle twice.No easy bump box conversion. They have torque,torque,torque.Could be the most reliable and powerful.The red dot version may let it rev more.

Next season I will re-evaluate the 3.3 & OSTM.I will also try a Picco .26 JL Red Dot and a Siro .23. Ah what the hell and a BB conversion mabey a trinity Tech .21 or an OS V Spec Speed.

Last edited:
Well I ended up at the track on race day Sunday morning with 3 Revo's with 3 engines and all had problems.In a last ditch effort to race I pulled out a new never run 3.3 from my box and proceeded to instal.I ran 2 tanks through it in the field where we park.I ran 2 tanks through it in practice on the track.I leaned both needles 1 hour from breakin settings and lined up for the Sportsman Truggy heat #1 and won the heat.Between 6 heats,3 truggy and 3 Monster Truck I won 2,and finished 2nd - 4th in the rest.Finished 2nd in the Sportsman Truggy A and started the MT A as TQ.I got run over buy two guys at the same time and ripped a pivot ball out of the front A arm but managed a quick repair and got back in to finish 5th.The engine ran flawlessly.
I don't know how long it will last but none of my others lasted anyway.

These 3.3's rip for a small block.The OWB froze up on the Picco and I think it screwed up the crank or bearing.I have not broke in the OS TM.21 since the rebuild.

The saga continues!

Hey Scrogg what up with you?
Hey Scrogg you stillout there racing?

New Revo engine list

RB TM 523 - Violent low end,pulls hard to the top with the optional dual chamber pipe.Sound meanas hell.Idles like a tractor.Not real crisp thottle reponse though.

OS .21TM - Smooth,broad power curvr,good low to mid hp.Did I mention smooth!Sounds hot too!

TRX 3.3 - Powerful,less expensive,materials and workmanship leave something to be desired.Finicky tuning.

Whant to try yet: Picco JL red dot,OS .21 BB VSec,

Back