Safari Trailrunner of Doom!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind a little derailing of the thread, I'm learning stuff, and it's becoming a crawler recruiting tool!
The more that join us, the more fun we will have! :)

Maybe we should start a club, Crawler Lovers of Doom! or C.LO.D. for short. šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£
You guys already got me hooked. After 3 days straight looking at parts, I am ready to start my sobriety. My name is Wicked... uh... and I'm an addict. It's been 2 minutes and 20 seconds since I looked at a crawler.

You didn't ask me, but....

Bang for buck, I see 2 options.

1) if you don't love to wrench as much as you love to drive.
Redcat Gen8 v2 for $300 is the easiest option out there. Put some $40 amazon brass portal covers on, add some lead tape to the front wheels, and it flat out rocks. The factory tires are iffy, but workable for my terrain. Jennys has trx canyon defenders for $40-ish, and they're incredible for the $$- especially after you cut the center lugs. Drop a $150 hobbywing fusion foc 1800kv motor/esc combo in and fugheddaboudit. It's a budget cheater at that point. Especially if you pull the heavy factory body off and put a truck cab on.
View attachment 129840
2) wrenching is half the fun! Build a trx-4 sport kit. Under $300 (no motor or electronics). Add the fusion foc 1800kv from hobbywing and you'll be a Rockstar for around $450 all in.
I'm sorry my bad "RANCH" . I didn't add you in the list of crawlers. I love wrenching more then driven. That's s fact.i would rather build it then buy it.better way to learn your car/truck rig IMO. I would get a kit. Start with roller and build it up. But not really sure about the set ups for the crawlers as far as good/bad electronics/ motors. The little brushed /brushless motors and mini servos are not in my wheel house. Traxxas has great parts support and 3rd party to boot. Since they've been around forever well since the late 80s. But their electronics suck. IMHO. You said JENNY'S. You mean JENNY'S RC from egg harbor NJ. LOL I love JENNY'S
I don't mind a little derailing of the thread, I'm learning stuff, and it's becoming a crawler recruiting tool!
The more that join us, the more fun we will have! :)

Maybe we should start a club, Crawler Lovers of Doom! or C.LO.D. for short. šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£
Sorry to ask so many??? Like a "newb" LOL On your cool a** safari crawler build. Well guess I am a newb to the crawler scene. Just don't want to get a POS because it looks good. Been looking for months now. And all your guy's rigs are SWEET maken me want one even more. Even though like you said I ride alone all the time so think it's something my kid and maybe wife would like to run. Kid always crys that my trucks are much faster then the one she drives MERV. So I Think we would be on a even driven feild. Till I upgrade stuff LOL Thanks again for all the opinions and input on the crawlers. So now down to a few the trx4 sport ,trx4 , redcat gen 7 or 8II, or axiel

You guys already got me hooked. After 3 days straight looking at parts, I am ready to start my sobriety. My name is Wicked... uh... and I'm an addict. It's been 2 minutes and 20 seconds since I looked at a crawler.
I'm hoping your not looking for an intervention because it won't happen with this crowd. :p

I'm hoping your not looking for an intervention because it won't happen with this crowd. :p
It wouldn't have worked anyway. Try as I may to kick this habit... the Deadbolt is on the FedEx truck and is out for delivery. I'll be self-medicating within a few hours, crawling around my workbench. But it never fails - if something I really am anxious for is out for delivery from FedEx, it won't be here til 9pm. Gawd, I haven't felt so much like a kid waiting for an RC in like 30 years šŸ“¦šŸ˜

It wouldn't have worked anyway. Try as I may to kick this habit... the Deadbolt is on the FedEx truck and is out for delivery. I'll be self-medicating within a few hours, crawling around my workbench. But it never fails - if something I really am anxious for is out for delivery from FedEx, it won't be here til 9pm. Gawd, I haven't felt so much like a kid waiting for an RC in like 30 years šŸ“¦šŸ˜
Warning: that could be a very, very deep rabbit hole!

When the excitement exits, that's when I exit. Have fun with it brother..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210720-092632_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210720-092632_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 43
When the excitement exits, that's when I exit. Have fun with it brother..
I've just recently gotten back into rc after a 10 year break, and wonder how I possibly could have left. We all burn out at one point or another. I never truly quit a hobby, but rather just taken a long hiatus.

I'm thinking of selling my trx-4 sport to get an enduro myself
Keep the TRX-4 and get the Enduro. They like to have company. ;)
Sorry to ask so many??? Like a "newb" LOL On your cool a** safari crawler build.
No apology necessary, I'm enjoying this thread. I'm still a newb too, just learning as I go. :)

I've just recently gotten back into rc after a 10 year break, and wonder how I possibly could have left. We all burn out at one point or another. I never truly quit a hobby, but rather just taken a long hiatus.
I get it, I get that way with my guitars.

That's how you know you picked a good hobby in the first place! :) I'm the same with Scale model building. I go like crazy for 5 years or so then take a break, it's been about four years since I've built anything (RC is taking up my free time) but I've been feeling the itch again. I have enough plastic models in my stash to last the rest of my life, but a bunch of my paint has gone bad.

That's how you know you picked a good hobby in the first place! :) I'm the same with Scale model building. I go like crazy for 5 years or so then take a break, it's been about four years since I've built anything (RC is taking up my free time) but I've been feeling the itch again. I have enough plastic models in my stash to last the rest of my life, but a bunch of my paint has gone bad.
I love scale model building, especially military vehicles, but I can't paint for poop
OK, back on topic, today at lunch I made the license plate stickers.

View attachment 129890
I like it!

Back