Wow, that’s a lot of grease!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrebee88

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I traded for a used Axial SCX6 Jeep. I noticed there was grease leaking from the axles and transmission. This dude went OVERBOARD! There was so much in there it was making it harder to hand spin the axle. The picture doesn’t begin to show how much was in there… ima clean it up and put some green grease in there…
IMG_0422.jpeg

Removing it is difficult... It feels like 500k CST but not silicone based. Sticks to my hands like crazy...
It almost feels like cosmoline

Last edited:
Looks like the previous owner thought they had a fluid tunable differential, lol!

Looks like the previous owner thought they had a fluid tunable differential, lol!
The worst part is going to be.....drum roll... the same stuff is seeping out of the transmission case🤷‍♂️... That will be fun to take apart and clean up.

The worst part is going to be.....drum roll... the same stuff is seeping out of the transmission case🤷‍♂️... That will be fun to take apart and clean up.
I need to see pictures of that thing coming apart, that is crazy!

Yeah, someone used diff fluid instead of grease.

I haven’t got to it yet, but here is what the bottom looks like…That’s going to be messy!
IMG_0424.jpeg

It's not terribly bad working on Axial transmissions. Just a lot of screws. Make sure you keep track of where they go. Our Ryft transmission has lots of screws holding it together and it's a bit of a problem solving adventure to get the screws in the correct locations, but the manual is a big help if you have it handy. Yours will be a blast because it is a bigger version.

I traded for a used Axial SCX6 Jeep. I noticed there was grease leaking from the axles and transmission. This dude went OVERBOARD! There was so much in there it was making it harder to hand spin the axle. The picture doesn’t begin to show how much was in there… ima clean it up and put some green grease in there…
View attachment 174177
I use PlayDoe

It's not terribly bad working on Axial transmissions. Just a lot of screws. Make sure you keep track of where they go. Our Ryft transmission has lots of screws holding it together and it's a bit of a problem solving adventure to get the screws in the correct locations, but the manual is a big help if you have it handy. Yours will be a blast because it is a bigger version.
I’ve build the scx10ii, 10iii, Capra, bomber, yeti, and Ryf, so I’ve built a “few” axial transmissions. I just wish the SCX6 came in kit form! That would be amazing!

I’ve build the scx10ii, 10iii, Capra, bomber, yeti, and Ryf, so I’ve built a “few” axial transmissions. I just wish the SCX6 came in kit form! That would be amazing!
You could tear it completely down and build it yourself. I love doing that myself.

Well, here we go! I’m honestly surprised that this transmission is held in with 4 screws…
IMG_0428.jpeg

If that is indeed some heavy duty diff fluid, Naphtha should help break it down quickly. That's what I use if I'm doing a complete cleaning of diffs. I'd test on plastics before going all gun ho though.

If that is indeed some heavy duty diff fluid, Naphtha should help break it down quickly. That's what I use if I'm doing a complete cleaning of diffs. I'd test on plastics before going all gun ho though.
I used some wd-40 style lube and a toothbrush. It worked out pretty good. Luckily they just covered the spur gear and it didn't seep much into the rest of the gears of the transmission. I made it to the front axle and realized the ring gear had a few broken teeth on it though. Found a replacement at Jenny's RC for $33.

Back