Winter toys

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mondo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, we are experiencing a sweltering summer here in England with temprates in the 35°C+ ranges.
But.. it's getting darker earlier, sun went down at 21h00 tonight, so that tells me winter is en route.

Last fall I invested in some indoor RC winter toys, these were in the form of Mini-Z Overland 1/28 scale, proportional RC cars.
Totaly tunable, mine have bearings, oil shocks, slightly hopped up motors, alloy wheels and other alloy parts.
They also have an adjustable wheelbase, so fitting custom bodyshells is possible, although I havent done anything like this.

These puppies are fairly agile and have great suspension. The best thing is that a small indoor course can be made from anything and DVD covers make great ramps.

Here's a pic of my Pajero

Attachments

• pict0125.jpg
    pict0125.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 152
The Ovelrands came in two flavours when I bought mine.
The short wheelbase Pajero and long wheelbase Land Cruiser.
I chose mine in Paris Dakar livery - they just look better that way.
They also have a diff locking plate, so you can lock the rear axle to do indoor "obstacle crawling"
They have prortional steering, forward, reverse and brake!
Here's the Land Cruiser

Attachments

• pict0126.jpg
    pict0126.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 142
Naked Truth

Here's a pic of one undressed with many alloy parts on to make it unbreakable - this sucker has been run over by my T-MAXX and taken a few trips down the stairs at home.
The one I'm showing you is the Land Cruiser chassis - those are oil shocks, believe it or not.

These little critters are great for winter entertainment. A lot of the YourMicro Members own them too, ironically enough, the same bunch who own T-MAXXes too!

The Overlands are great for annoying wives, leaving red paint on skirting boards, knocking small ornaments over and scaring the bejeezuz out of cats and dogs.

Attachments

• ollc.jpg
    ollc.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 148
Mondo ... I'm sold!!

where can I pick one of these things up ?
what sort of money are we talking ?

lol, Do you really think you need the alluminum battery covers :p: The plastic covers work great on my friends Overland which he picked up on ebay all hopped up with the exception of shock towers battery covers and oil shocks. He had the X-speed motor and I thought it was pretty slow even though thats the fastest motor as far as I know. He is jealous of my Micro :LoL:

Overlands

Originally posted by johndaly
Mondo ... I'm sold!!

where can I pick one of these things up ?
what sort of money are we talking ?

I got mine here and it wasn't too expensive at +- $149 (with free shipping in the U.S. - something I obviously do not qualify for any more)

You can buy them on EBay, but most sellers are based in the Far East, the prices are good, but the shipping costs make up the difference. The hop-ups offered by the HK sellers are usually crappy quality bearings and cheap TopCAD alloy steering knuckles

Originally posted by SilentGTboy
lol, Do you really think you need the alluminum battery covers The plastic covers work great on my friends Overland which he picked up on ebay all hopped up with the exception of shock towers battery covers and oil shocks. He had the X-speed motor and I thought it was pretty slow even though thats the fastest motor as far as I know. He is jealous of my Micro [/B]

SilentGboy

Yes, alloy battery covers do help, especially when I peak my 800mAh NiMh cells at 1.2A and charge them extremely quick, those AAA's are hot when I stick them in.

Mine have X-Speeds and they are slow, remember they are Mini-Zs with 130 sized motors and running at 4.8VDC.
There are quicker motors available, but these require FET upgrades, any RC car can be modded, but these Overlands are housepets, so speed shouldn't be a requirement.

When I want to play outside, I use my serious toy, my T-MAXX!
Micro owners tend to avoid bringing their Micro RS4s out when we run the T-MAXXes.:D:naughty:

Fortunately, none of my RC buddies are jealous of my RC cars.

Last edited:
Nice. Here's my indoor toy. I need to get new pictures of it up, as I've since painted and decaled it.

My winter toy is a bit larger.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just got here. :)

thats cool toy howd u build it

greyryder will you private message me where you got the tread i would like to know thanks very much

Was just a matter of hacking the back to fit in a couple even more hacked up servos to drive it. Had to rebuild my transmitter into a Radio shack project box, because of the independant track control.

The tracks came with the model, but I'll PM you with more details. Personally, I wouldn't mind finding some individual link tracks that would work in a powered model.

EDIT: halfway through typing the PM I realized I wasn't sure if you meant the tank or the truck. The truck is a Kyosho Blizzard EP with some body mounts bolted on to some Lexan plates.

Last edited:
Back