Winter engine temps?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Anyone know where we should be running with the engine temps at the glow plug in the winter?

I'm talking about anything below 40f.

I'm running an O.S. 21 RG-X(P) on my maxx and don't want to toast it. But i've been trying to keep at @ 200 when it's 25 degrees f out.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

around 220 230 is a good temp id say dont go over 260

yep......

like he said.......:thumbup:

I could have swore i saw somewhere that your to keep the temp of the engine around 160 - 170 above ambient temp. So, if it's 30 out, i keep it at 190-200...

I can't find where i found that before. Would you say that this is wrong?

well i run my indoors (not heated) and summer time its usally around 220-240, now its running about 190-200

Originally posted by olds97_lss
I could have swore i saw somewhere that your to keep the temp of the engine around 160 - 170 above ambient temp. So, if it's 30 out, i keep it at 190-200...

That's actually really good information. You won't get much better of an answer than what you know.

I was running my buggy in 30 degree temps in the fall. I had to retune it for the cold temps and once I did, it was running 190's or so.

The only thing that concerns me is that the engine may not be getting warm enough at these temps. The fuel / air mix is correct and the engine is tuned, but I have read that temps that low can hurt the engine.

I believe this is why Nova RC Products is has released that Thermal Control head. You add and remove layers off the heat sink depending on the outside temp.

If you engine was running too cold, remove a layer and see what happens.

Kind of a cool idea.

-RobH

I made a stainless steel gard and hose clamped it around the head to keep air from blowing through it. I can keep the temps at 200-210 when it's 15-20 out. I was just curious if anyone else did anything special.

I'm going to northern min for a week to visit family. Was contemplating not taking it. It's colder there than here in IL.

you should be fine bringin it there ultess its like all plastic because it will be very brittle but just lower your fuel mixture a lil bit and also the hotter it runs (not over the max ofcourse) the more power and quicker response you will get that why i like to keep mine around 235ish

goodness guys, my XTM 24.7 runs about 140-150. these past few bashings, i have had my lsn way in to see if she would run hotter but no luck.

bryan

Yep.........

kinda like either........ "temp gauge wrong" kinda low........."don't have my engine tuned correctly" kinda low........or...(and this is the best one)........."wanna see how quickly I can wear out my piston/ sleeve from running it sloppy rich" kinda low........:wtf:......seriously guys......this was just too good to pass up.......just havin' fun with it.....don't take me seriously........I'm a nice guy(really).......BUT.......that is a little too low of a temp for my taste.....for a non-ringed engine anyway.....

Last edited:
lol!that was good:mex: but, i know for a fact that i am screwing my engine up. i havent had time to run my truck cause i got a broken back bulkhead but i will fix that tommorrow.

bryan

My max is 75% aluminum, 5% titanium, 20% plastic and 110% ass kicker. All plastic is RPM plastic (arms, shock towers).

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully i'm not posting a response next week letting you know that RC doesn't mix with Nortern Minnesota.

just preheat the whole truck in the oven, get the plastic nice and soft :D :flamer: :flamer: :trout:

(for those who dont know I'm kidding - please dont try that)

Originally posted by slothy
just preheat the whole truck in the oven, get the plastic nice and soft :D :flamer: :flamer: :trout:

(for those who dont know I'm kidding - please dont try that)

Man, now I need a new body, new tires, new gas tank and not to mention I caught the oven on fire cause the nitro i left in the tank caught fire.

Good advice man.... :angry:

SIKE!

HE HE....

.........I may even have to try that oven thing myself.........NOT!......lol........:D

:smoke: hmmmm pre heat it in the oven?? My wife would kick my ass if I even suggested putting my savage in her oven LOL!