Will this plane take off?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to argue, but there is a logical fallacy here. If indeed the backward speed of the treadmill is equal to the forward speed of the PLANE, is it not logical than to have no choice but to concede that in order for the treadmill to have a backward speed, there MUST be a forward speed of the plane? If indeed the plane is stationary, then by the very definition of the problem, mustn't the treadmill be stationary? And in the same vein, in order for the treadmill to move, the plane HAS to move. Just by that very fact, the logical conclusion MUST be that the plane is able to move on this belt. And if the plane can move, then it should be able to move in a manner as to eventually obtain flight.

YES, YES, YES! ! !

Would you people please listen to this man????

Jeff, you are like the ONLY person who is bringing logic to the table here. If my name were godale I could kiss you!

I first saw it, I thought hell that park flier would take off with a little breeze and no power.
Then bring an ultralight out that takes off at 25mph? I mean what is a Cessna, about 60 mph?

But then.... Don't guess it would matter how fast the treadmill is going. (As long as the bearings in the wheels could stand it.) The prop is going to push the plane forward. Thus creating lift over the wings. Still going to be taking off at the same foward speed.

i see what rolex is saying in his post. he sees it as the plane would be moving backward, like floating down the river and would have to overcome the backward movement with enough thrust to keep it in one place, but this still wouldn't be the same amount of thrust it would take to go that speed, only enough to overcome the friction of the floats on the water.then more thrust forward in order to accelerate. remember once again, even though the plane and river are moving backward the AIR is "stationary". BUT the myth states the belt matches the forward speed so the plane begins in a stationary position. the faster the plane moves forward the faster the belt moves backward. all the plane needs to stay in one place is enough trust to overcome the friction in the bearings in the wheels and let them roll. which isn't very much, all the other thrust it creates will effectively move the plane forward as demonstrated in the test.

Thanks, beason. I think almost everyone in this discussion understands the concept, but there seem to be several ways they interpret it.

Here's the Mythbusters episode. [youtube]0ul_5DtMLhc[/youtube]

What I thought was that the plane was going to go the same speed as the conveyor belt and suddenly take off from that position, I misunderstood the question.

My point is made again. Both the computer animation at the beginning, and the comment by the pilot agree with what I've been saying. MATCHING THE SPEED OF THE CONVEYOR BELT!!! However, both the lightweight R/C plane AND the ultralight BOTH exceeded the speed of the conveyor, and indeed achieved enough lift to take off. That wasn't the point, if they could go faster than the belt, and that's why I said even Mythbusters got it wrong.

i have to agree with rolex on this one they didnt do a good job at all on this one. I'm kinda disapointed in them

cause if the belt matched exactlly the the forward movement the plane should have just say there treading water but the plane got moving faster then the belt which isnt what the whole thing was about

Technically the only way the plane wouldn't be moving forward is if neither the treadmill nor the plane moved. Since the treadmill always matches the speed of the plane then the plane would have to be moving forward for the treadmill to be moving at all :)

My point is made again. Both the computer animation at the beginning, and the comment by the pilot agree with what I've been saying. MATCHING THE SPEED OF THE CONVEYOR BELT!!! However, both the lightweight R/C plane AND the ultralight BOTH exceeded the speed of the conveyor, and indeed achieved enough lift to take off. That wasn't the point, if they could go faster than the belt, and that's why I said even Mythbusters got it wrong.

I will ask 1 question. And I suspect this will show the different perspectives here:

What speed is the conveyor matching?

According to the original post it was supposed to match the speed of the plane.

Some of us realize that it doesn't matter though. It sort of goes back to 'problem solving' in 4 grade... remember that stuff? Sometimes they would throw some bit of useless information into the story to throw you off. Same thing here. It's like saying... If John, Bill, Craig and Joe each have 4 apples and each of their wives has a half, how many apples do the wives have total?

Before really thinking about it most people tend to put each and every bit of information into the equation before they realize that some of it is useless.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a couple people got that ^^^ wrong.

lol.. i just started reading this thread to pass time at work.. good hour long read :)

I will ask 1 question. And I suspect this will show the different perspectives here:

What speed is the conveyor matching?

Interesting perspective on the same puzzle. I see the point Candyman.
Start with 'point X' on the ground. Conveyor moves FROM X to the right at 40MPH. Airplane starts at 'Point X' then moves to the left at 40MPH.
They are BOTH now moving in opposite directions from X, at 40MPH, even though the plane has an 80 MPH WHEEL SPEED, which is meaningless in this equation, it will effortlessly reach takeoff speed.

This will put the plane in a FORWARD direction, from X, with the normal speed it would take to generate lift.

Looking at it the way Candyman pointed it out puts the puzzle in a whole different perspective.
They BOTH move in opposite directions at 40. If the plane stood still, it would NOT be matching the speed of the conveyor in the opposite direction.

I concede. Thank you Candyman for laying this to rest.

If anyone is looking for me, I'll be under my desk in a fetal position weeping uncontrollably while clutching my Teddy Bear.

Last edited:
they did this on MB, its proved to be yes! it can take off!
something that made me laugh is that adam let his segway drive...err... away!
[YOUTUBE]IbRcg3ji_Pc[/YOUTUBE]

Interesting perspective on the same puzzle. I see the point Candyman.
Start with 'point X' on the ground. Conveyor moves FROM X to the right at 40MPH. Airplane starts at 'Point X' then moves to the left at 40MPH.
They are BOTH now moving in opposite directions from X, at 40MPH, even though the plane has an 80 MPH WHEEL SPEED, which is meaningless in this equation, it will effortlessly reach takeoff speed.

This will put the plane in a FORWARD direction, from X, with the normal speed it would take to generate lift.

Looking at it the way Candyman pointed it out puts the puzzle in a whole different perspective.
They BOTH move in opposite directions at 40. If the plane stood still, it would NOT be matching the speed of the conveyor in the opposite direction.

I concede. Thank you Candyman for laying this to rest.

If anyone is looking for me, I'll be under my desk in a fetal position weeping uncontrollably while clutching my Teddy Bear.

LOL NOW you get it. XD :spit:

Now that didn't hurt at all, did it?
It's ok. This thing has been argued sooooooo much. I guess it's time for the next great Internet Myth. Can't wait to see what it is....

NOT!

Now where did I store that treadmill. I could use a 40 MPH jog right about now.

Someone should attach a nitro engine to a treadmill and see what happens... I don't have a hypothesis I'm just interested in what happens =devil

at least we all found out the answer: the answer weve all been arguing together, although at each other.

it flew.