Will this plane take off?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Rolex's defense he did say it would be BUSTED!!

I'm surprised no one noticed that Rolex had practical experience in this field.... With the beanie propeller on his head and all. :bow:

Granted, they used an ultra light on the show, but seriously; do they _really_ need to use a Cessna? The results are going to be the same, regardless of weight, since the weight is offset by the prop's pitch/efficiency and the horsepower of the engine.

I think they did a fine job. However, I'm surprised they didn't mention that guy from youtube. The tests did look eerily similar.....

Since I have this beanie propeller, I'm able to run along the conveyor without tearing it like Adam did. It provides upward thrust, which in turn take a substantial amount of weight off my landing gear.

If you had a truck that weighed 5,000 lbs, and you loaded it with 500 lbs of Canaries, how much does it weigh?

Now, how much does it weigh if ALL the Canaries are flying around INSIDE the enclosed truck?

Just another puzzle to distract the attention from me.

What about the downward thrust equal to their weight, required to keep them airborne? Remember, it's an ENCLOSED truck.

Hmm... something to consider.

so...

If a plane is cruising through the sky does it's downward thrust equal it's weight?

Yes, I understand planes don't flap, but birds don't flap 100% of time either. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Hmm... something to consider.

so...

If a plane is cruising through the sky does it's downward thrust equal it's weight?

Yes, I understand planes don't flap, but birds don't flap 100% of time either. Does that make sense?

What a Dork.
The plane provided FORWARD thrust, creating enough lift on the wings to make it neutrally boueyant. How do you spell Bouyant?

Due to the physical manipulation of their flight feathers, the downward thrust of the bird's wings provides lift and forward thrust for flight or backward thrust to hover. The upward movement is not a function for flight, but rather a positioning of feathers and wings to repeat the downward thrust motion.

Due to the physical manipulation of their flight feathers, the downward thrust of the bird's wings provides lift and forward thrust for flight or backward thrust to hover. The upward movement is not a function for flight, but rather a positioning of feathers and wings to repeat the downward thrust motion.

What are you, a flippin zoologist?

I wasn't referring to upward motion vs. downward motion but rather no motion. Birds don't always flap to fly. there are times when they simply glide. they may not be able to do that in a truck though, that's very trivial I suppose. Back to the matter..

So let's say they are flappin' around. Is it safe to say that less than 100% of that thrust would be vertical? Since canaries specifically can't hover, would a portion of there energy output need to be in a relatively lateral direction? If that's the case then we couldn't really say how much extra vertical force they create unless we knew specifics about forces of their flight pattern. :shrug: Beats me bro

Mythbusters also tested that a long time ago. Flying birds in an enclosed truck will still put the same amount of weight on the truck as when they are stationary on the floor of the truck.

Mythbusters also tested that a long time ago. Flying birds in an enclosed truck will still put the same amount of weight on the truck as when they are stationary on the floor of the truck.

Are you serious? They did it already? I first heard this brain teaser about 10 years ago.
At the time, I finally put it to rest by saying the truck weighed 5,500 lbs since they were all dead on the floor from the Diesel fumes.
Canaries are used in coal mines to alert miners to gas fumes, but the driver couldn't hear it over the chatter of all the birds in the back. lol

Thanks for the info, now I'll wait for the repeat showing.

The other answer is TWO (2) apples...4 halves, lessen.