why revo instead of t-maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgers8

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
ok well I've been doing alot of looking around and from what i hear the revo is tougher than a tmaxx whitch saves money. then again the revo costs more than the tmaxx to begin with. so i was wondering why did u pick the revo and not the t-maxx (I'm talking about the 3.3 versions)

thanks

I don't own a Revo so I'm just going on popular belief. The Revo is a better racer, although the Maxx isn't so bad at the track either. Also, considering the Revo is tougher (albeit more expensive). You will save yourself a lot of money and downtime in the end with the Revo.

yep

i have a 2.5 revo and a 3.3 tmaxx . if i could go back a few months and not buy the tmax i would have just got another revo. revo is alot more trustworthy and seems to be all around a funner truck.

I have a Revo and my brother in law as well as my father in law have T-Maxx trucks. Here is what I see as the major differences. The Revo is a bit quicker and seems much more stable. By stable I mean less likely to roll over. The T-Maxx is more of a conventional truck stlye but doesn't climb over things as well as a Revo. I personally like my Revo in every way. Now if you are looking for a classic wheelie machine then the T-Maxx is your truck, otherwise the Revo will out perform the T-Maxx in virtually any situation. I'm not putting the T-Maxx down because it is a good truck but it just isn't as stable as a Revo. Both will break if you drive them like you mean it. Cost wise for repair is about the same. IMO for the extra $50.00 the Revo is definately worth it for the better handling and additonal performance.

i have a revo... it's just a more technically advanced machine. think about it... it's something like the evolution or... REVOlution of monster trucks.

the horizontal shocks work like a dream, and they allow the truck to handle like no other. i mean... they're modeled after formula-1 racing cars!! since they're in the body, they stay away from a lot of debris that damages conventional shocks. for very consistent handling, spend the $20 and get the ti-nitride shafts. good upgrade.

the chassis is incredibly rigid. more rigid than other, i would say. this is because it has shape. it is bent all over the place, but those bends keep unnatural bends from happening. deflection is based on the inverse of the height, cubed. this means that the higher, or taller the chassis is, the less likely it is to bend (by an order of 3!!). if you want to bullet proof this area, go with the hardcore full skid plate.

almost all owners end up going with a single steering servo setup. you'll want to find a servo with at least... meh, 200 oz/in of torque. some say 150, but you're better safe than sorry, especially if you put 40 series on it.

RPM arms and axle carriers aren't necessary, but they're awfully nice to have. that added sense of security has its advantages when bashing, lol. honestly though, any R/C vehicle i will ever own will have every available RPM part on it... they just make nice stuff!

oh... and get rid of the EZ-start right away. get yourself the pullstart and a glow starter, and you will be a very happy camper... trust me. those one-way bearings are expensive!

there you have it. those are my recommended mods to keep yourself busy for a while. don't get me wrong, a stock setup will do you just fine. but... if you're going to do something... do it right! right!?

Having owned and or built 8 REVOS I can vouch for their toughness and prowess on the track. Parts are available and as Mallanga states you can do a few mods to make them more race ready. As a basher they are amazing.

My 2 cents worth.

mmmm, it seems we have some Revo experts over here, I have a question for you. If you press the chassis up to the floor and measure the distance from floor to the lowest point of the engine, this car enters the Roar rule that says one inch and a half is the minimum to be an MT? I have this discussion with a buddy as warhead do not acomplish this rule for sure.

revo's are BETTER! than t maxx's any day! there's alot of reasons why. mynes is because i havent had a t maxx keep up with my revo 3.3, it might be all the mod's I've done and the picco max. but ??? i drove a friends once that thing spins out too easy i couldnt go full throttle on the straight away i had to slowly let it catch speed. the revo's got alot more race mods that improves its perfomance alot!

man I have to say t maxx, I have not had any problems and a 3.3 can't touch my picco .21 and fantom pipe and a few other mods.

I got a revo because of its ability to bash and race without changing much. It has a chassis that runs the entire length of the truck, making it very durable. It is well laid out, and the F1 style suspension, and the crooked engine makes it different from anything else out there.

Well, since I've had both, I thought I'd post my thoughts on why I would or wouldn't by either again.

A lot of the issues with the t-maxx have been removed since the old days of th 15 and 2.5 maxx. Diffs, drive shafts, transmission, slipper, axle bearings, brakes are all an improvement over the original and when the revo came out, these were reasons to go with a revo.

Well, now the only reason to go with a revo vs maxx is due to handling and the import shocks tend to be less problematic, mostly because there are 4 vs 8.

The maxx 3.3 has all the advantages of the revo, with basher type handling on an easier to work with chassis layout. Plus, the bulks are tougher it can be modified to handle big air pretty easily, the engine mount doesn't slide and screw up alignment on hard landings (unless you land on your roof) and it's easier to work on when the time comes.

This makes it much less clear cut as to which I'd buy.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have bought neither and looked for a truck that supports a BB engine due to the diffs typically being tougher and I like general stump pulling torque that a BB offers.

Ultimately, I ended up with a heavily modified aftershock and it's a choice I have yet to regret in any way. I had a savage (old style 21 chassis) and it was as durable as it was poor at handling. Like driving a 15lb brick. But, it was tough.

I feel that the LST genre lends itself to both basher and racer type handling.

I got a revo(about 2 months ago). so we can let the thread die now lol.

Back