Why I dont Surf in California.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroaddict

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Dude - I have been surfing for a long time, but this would just about get me to never go out again! ::shudders::

595sharksurf.jpg

holy poop, that'd make my life pass before my eyes...

better be damn sure that i catch that wave, cause I'm riding it all the way till i run otta water!

It's not like sharks have it out for humans. I would catch the wave and count myself lucky I had see a shark on their turf. I've seen several hammerheads while scuba diving in Panama. Seeing them from their view is really cool beans.

Yeah, right up to the point when the water turns red and you hear that one big crunch. Sharks are about the oldest creatures on the earth (next to the cock roach, gators and the celocanth), so I guess they got their thang down to a science. Humans have only been around for a miniscule ammount of time compared to them others. Besides, black wetsuits look alot like the sharks natural food, and the "help, I'm dying" splashing around that humans do doesn't help deter the sharks either.

And that one in the photo must have been real hungry to be that close in to shore.

actually, error - i routinely see sharks in about knee deep water here in FL, only they are no where near that big, usually just 2-3 foot hammerheads

Toe nibblers, eh?

Back in the day (couple million years ago) there were fresh water sharks. Just as bad ass as the salt water ones today, but they lived in rivers and lakes. That must have sucked.

Ok Sharks are nice and fluffy on a general rule of thumb, but out here in Cali I grew up surfing/boogie boarding. The water in N.Cali is cold so you need a wetsuit. The biggest danger is the Great White. He is unlike anyother shark and will attack without being prevoked. When we saw the seals going down that would usually be our que it was lunchtime and get out of the water as fast as possible. I have even seen the big guys breach the water to get get seals and its is scary when your in the water let me tell ya. The Great White is very territorial and agressive. It just makes it a whole different ball game surfing with that kind of shark vs any other kind.

We got too many land sharks here in central VA.

actually, blazer - the tiger shark and sand tiger shark are far more aggressive than the great white. Last year, there were 32 shark attacks in Florida, and only 4 in California. In the past 20 years there have been 488 attacks in FL, and only 82 in Cali.

Bummer about that pic being a fake, u people have way too much time on your hands, lol.

it's not fake. it's a real picture... of a DOLPHIN!

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
actually, blazer - the tiger shark and sand tiger shark are far more aggressive than the great white. Last year, there were 32 shark attacks in Florida, and only 4 in California. In the past 20 years there have been 488 attacks in FL, and only 82 in Cali.

Bummer about that pic being a fake, u people have way too much time on your hands, lol.

The reason I belive that Florida has more attacks is you have more people in the water. Including all the dumb ass snowbirds that come to FL and don't know how to act in the ocean. I am no shark expert but I know the Great White is the biggest baddest mofo of them all.

LMAO - issues man, issues.

Another land shark photo:

1144landshark.jpg

Originally posted by Nitroaddict

Don't forget about the Bull shark.

I like how everyone here is ignoring RobH. I read your posts, good detective work camper. I'll take it from here.

Back