Which threadlock?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niggle

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have used Loctite 222 (purple, low strength) threadlock in the past on 1:10 cars with good results.

Loctite reckon 222 is good for fasteners up to 1/4" (6mm) in size.

Given that the majority of fasteners on my 1:8 buggy are 3mm, would 222 still be OK or would medium strength (blue) 242 or 243 (oil resistant) be better?

Are there any problems with re-using fasteners after they have been locked with medium strength loctite?

I use blue loctite on my Savage and Storm.

The only problem I see with re-using fasterners is the gunk that dried loctite leaves behind. Just clean it off and reapply it.

I use red and reuse the screws and things without a problem. Just a little bit of cleanup is needed.

Dud i say red i ment to say blue

I'm thinking about two things at once

Blue works great for me. I can take it out without a problem and keeps the screws in place.

Blue works great for me too. Make sure you only put it on the screws that thread into metal. I read somwhere that if you use it on the screws going into plastic nylon, that it can gum up the threads and cause it strip easy. I never tried it so I may be wrong. Has anyone else heard of that?

Later....:mex:

I have used it on screws that go into nuts with nylon and had no bad side effects. I would use blue on the buggy.

I use blue as well.

I also use the Blue Loctite. Additionally, the Loctite Corp. says the following:

"Threadlockers should only be used on metal-to-metal applications".

If I need to secure a metal screw into a plastic hole I use either CA glue or clear fingernail polish.

Use blue if you still want to take it off lol . Red is permenant

Originally posted by militarymaxx
I also use the Blue Loctite. Additionally, the Loctite Corp. says the following:

"Threadlockers should only be used on metal-to-metal applications".

If I need to secure a metal screw into a plastic hole I use either CA glue or clear fingernail polish.

Yes in a plastic hole I wuldn't use it but on lock nuts the start with just alum. and it helps to use it on them. Not sure which mag. it was but the just did a review on loctight and said it was ok to ues on them also.

Blue it is then.

Thanx for your input, people.

Blue loctite on nylock fasteners is just fine.

Despite the statement that you shouldn't us it in plastic holes, I have found that it works just fine in those applications as well...BUT the best solution is the one Military Maxx mentioned with the CA glue.

Originally posted by mcvickj
I use blue loctite on my Savage and Storm.

The only problem I see with re-using fasterners is the gunk that dried loctite leaves behind. Just clean it off and reapply it.
That's got my vote.

I use K-Y.

no..wait..thats for something else.

Seeing as this thread just won't die...

What are you guys using to "restore" threads/holes in plastic mouldings when the fastener has been inserted/removed too many times and worn the hole out?

Sorry to hear you have a worn hole. :x

Seriously, i just use a bit of CA glue until I can get a replacement part.

I'm using both the blue Lock Tite 242 and this other stuff I got which is identical to it... got it from the auto parts store, same stuff exactly. I use it only on metal to metal screws and it seems to work just fine. I have to wipe off the residue which is kind of dusty when I take a screw out, but it comes off easily and I have no problems with it locking again. I don't ever use lock tite on plastic parts cause you usually don't have to.

Originally posted by WA2FAST
I'm using both the blue Lock Tite 242 and this other stuff I got which is identical to it... got it from the auto parts store, same stuff exactly. I use it only on metal to metal screws and it seems to work just fine. I have to wipe off the residue which is kind of dusty when I take a screw out, but it comes off easily and I have no problems with it locking again. I don't ever use lock tite on plastic parts cause you usually don't have to.

Yeah, I got "RiteLock 42" for about 1/3rd the price of Loctite from a local fasteners supplier. I threadlocked everything on Saturday night and ran the buggy all afternoon on Sunday - nothing dropped off!

Yup... same stuff. The numbers are related to temp tollerances and something else anyway, so as long as you get a "xx42xx" of some type, your fine... cross refrence it first, but it's all the same stuff.

never tired CA in plastic but i guess it comes out ok?

Back