Which engine??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cameron

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all

Looking at buying a new engine for my buggy so I've been reading and reading but after days, I still just can't decide which one would be best. I don't use my car for any more than bashing so I thought a bigger engine such as a .28 or a .30 would be better for the more torque. However I've been reading many people say a .21 is still a better option as they rev better.
I thought a bigger engine, more torque, would be better for bashing but I would still like the better revving .21 and they are said to still have plenty of torque.
I have a budget of around £170 and for a .30 I was thinking of http://www.modelsport.co.uk/lrp-zr.30-spec.2-pullstart-engine/rc-car-products/31445

For a .21 I was thinking of http://www.bmmracing.co.uk/novarossi-s21p5xlt-race-engine-p-5455.html

I am open to other suggestions and it doesn't matter if its pull start or not, it can be either

Thanks
Cameron

My personal preference for a buggy is generally a .21 and I believe Novarossi is generally considered to make a little bit higher quality engines than LRP but LRP makes good engines as well. I'm sure youd like either one but they will behave differently in terms of power band.

Hi all

Looking at buying a new engine for my buggy so I've been reading and reading but after days, I still just can't decide which one would be best. I don't use my car for any more than bashing so I thought a bigger engine such as a .28 or a .30 would be better for the more torque. However I've been reading many people say a .21 is still a better option as they rev better.
I thought a bigger engine, more torque, would be better for bashing but I would still like the better revving .21 and they are said to still have plenty of torque.
I have a budget of around £170 and for a .30 I was thinking of http://www.modelsport.co.uk/lrp-zr.30-spec.2-pullstart-engine/rc-car-products/31445

For a .21 I was thinking of http://www.bmmracing.co.uk/novarossi-s21p5xlt-race-engine-p-5455.html

I am open to other suggestions and it doesn't matter if its pull start or not, it can be either

Thanks
Cameron
The Novarossi is the one I'm looking at- They make great quality engines too- that's what i'd go with but you can also enter the competition to win the LRP Z.28 (.28 version). Right here on this forum!:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/lrp-z-28r-engine-giveaway/
CLOSING DATE FEB 16TH

So it seems the .21 is probably the one to go for which is the response I had a feeling was coming. I suppose the next question would be, is that particular novarossi engine any good? I would imagine for bashing (which might be worth mentioning, is off road on relatively big grass hills) it doesn't need to be a top £300 engine and that one would be perfectly fine. Alternatively, is there a .21 from another manufacturer for a similar amount that would preform better? I have always wanted a novsrossi so if that engine would be fine, I would be happy to go for it :p

One last question, I know manifolds and tuning pipes can have quite an impact on bottom and top end power. What combination would be best for bottom power. Because I was thinking maybe if I went for a .21 and a combination of manifold and pipe that gave more bottom end, maybe I could get power all across the rev range and would be better for my purpose than a .28 or .30, because as you said greywolf, .21 are often said to be best for a buggy.

Thanks for the help

So it seems the .21 is probably the one to go for which is the response I had a feeling was coming. I suppose the next question would be, is that particular novarossi engine any good? I would imagine for bashing (which might be worth mentioning, is off road on relatively big grass hills) it doesn't need to be a top £300 engine and that one would be perfectly fine. Alternatively, is there a .21 from another manufacturer for a similar amount that would preform better? I have always wanted a novsrossi so if that engine would be fine, I would be happy to go for it :p

One last question, I know manifolds and tuning pipes can have quite an impact on bottom and top end power. What combination would be best for bottom power. Because I was thinking maybe if I went for a .21 and a combination of manifold and pipe that gave more bottom end, maybe I could get power all across the rev range and would be better for my purpose than a .28 or .30, because as you said greywolf, .21 are often said to be best for a buggy.

Thanks for the help
That Novarossi is one of their best selling engines, it is highly recommended and is an absolute bargain, as for another in that price range there is the Werks B6 which offers similar performance but looks rubbish in my opinion, plus it isn't Italian! As for a pipe i'm not an expert but either an Ofna or Dynamite 086 would work well with Novarossi's (as stated on website) as technically it's a Novarossi pipe, it has good top end and bottom end great for bashing and smooth power delivery- it is what I'd go for!

There no such thing as a bad Novarossi engine AFAIK. Other high end manufacturers to look at would be Picco, Werks, and O.S. Anything from these compaies will work well also. As for pipes the best pipe on teh market hands down are the custom made pipes by Robin at Extreme RC Mods (He can also mod your engine for you too if you want to have it pump out even more power). If thats more than you want to spend though you can look at THIS thread which has some info on some of the common pipes people use if they dont want to throw down on an ERCM pipe.

Thanks alot for the help guys. I ended up going for the novarossi p5 and pipe I linked above with the intentions at some point in the (hopefully) not too distant future of picking up one of the Extreme RC Mods pipes as they do seem very interesting. :)

Thanks alot for the help guys. I ended up going for the novarossi p5 and pipe I linked above with the intentions at some point in the (hopefully) not too distant future of picking up one of the Extreme RC Mods pipes as they do seem very interesting. :)
Yes....I have seen the ERCM pipes, no offence but to me they seem a bit gimmicky- but they may be really good so I'm not going to have my mind set yet :)

everyone that owns an ERCM pipe will swear by them. I have yet to meet a person thats ever bought one of his pipes and will buy anything else after that. They arent gimmicky. I've even spoken to Robin on the phone a couple times with various questions I had about his mods and his pipes and I can tell you that man knows more about nitro engines than probably all of us combined. just sayin' :)

everyone that owns an ERCM pipe will swear by them. I have yet to meet a person thats ever bought one of his pipes and will buy anything else after that. They arent gimmicky. I've even spoken to Robin on the phone a couple times with various questions I had about his mods and his pipes and I can tell you that man knows more about nitro engines than probably all of us combined. just sayin' :)
Ok then, that may be so- My mistake, if I can find one for a good price I may consider one... :)

If you were in the UK, Id say buy one and if you dont like it I'll buy it from you and use it on one of my kits but the overseas shipping kinda stops that from being worthwhile lol

If you were in the UK, Id say buy one and if you dont like it I'll buy it from you and use it on one of my kits but the overseas shipping kinda stops that from being worthwhile lol
Juts asked how much it was to ship a SC10 to the u.k- apparently it was $285+ the $165 car!

So my engine and exhaust turned up yesterday and my clutch and flywheel turned up this morning. The engine looks amazing and I was really looking forward to breaking it in with the hope of using it tomorrow with my mates. Got the car all clean and fitted it all in to the car and then I got stuck. This engine is insanely difficult to turn over. Using a hand held bump starter, 2 hours later it still wasn't running. I heated the engine as much as I could which was about 160 and undid the glow plug a little but it is still really difficult to turn the engine over. I think I may end up having to buy a proper starter box but is there any way I can do it without replacing my starter?

So my engine and exhaust turned up yesterday and my clutch and flywheel turned up this morning. The engine looks amazing and I was really looking forward to breaking it in with the hope of using it tomorrow with my mates. Got the car all clean and fitted it all in to the car and then I got stuck. This engine is insanely difficult to turn over. Using a hand held bump starter, 2 hours later it still wasn't running. I heated the engine as much as I could which was about 160 and undid the glow plug a little but it is still really difficult to turn the engine over. I think I may end up having to buy a proper starter box but is there any way I can do it without replacing my starter?
New engines are always stiff, but if it's so ridiculously stiff you can barely pull it over then it may of been over primed.

I took the glow plug out and turned it over and span the engine, it still was really stiff. I've been reading around and I've read the engine when new is really stiff. The wheel would just end up slipping against the flywheel and cover the surroundings in rubber bits

I took the glow plug out and turned it over and span the engine, it still was really stiff. I've been reading around and I've read the engine when new is really stiff. The wheel would just end up slipping against the flywheel and cover the surroundings in rubber bits
Try and persevere is all I can say, maybe try putting a little after run oil inside.

Well I noticed something last night. The flywheel on my old engine is both bigger and has a "sharper" texture on the edge compared to the one I brought for the engine. I was thinking maybe if I swap the flywheels it might be a lot easier to turn the engine over. Because the flywheel at the moment is a little bit small so its difficult to get the starter wheel right on the flywheel without hitting the chassis.

Well I noticed something last night. The flywheel on my old engine is both bigger and has a "sharper" texture on the edge compared to the one I brought for the engine. I was thinking maybe if I swap the flywheels it might be a lot easier to turn the engine over. Because the flywheel at the moment is a little bit small so its difficult to get the starter wheel right on the flywheel without hitting the chassis.
You could try but personally, without the proper tools you could damage your engine, but it is pretty simple so if it helps you get it started then give it a go.