which buggy is best for the money?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

351gt-40

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i am in the market to purchase an 1/8 scale buggy. which one would be best for just running around in my 3 acre back yard? i am looking at the ofna mbx comp?I will also let my son who is 5 play with it.i dont want to go over 350.00 dollars.it will mainly be for fun not jumping or bashing. thanks

LOL, bashing is what you will be doing with it. Bashing is just about anything except racing.
I had a MBX comp, not a bad buggy. You will need to upgrade the steering servo as they tend to strip.

Are you SURE you want a 1/8 buggy? They are durable, but dont have the ground clearence like a monster type truck would. Unless the ground is pretty flat and does not have many weeds, you may be dissapointed in the buggy.

Just trying to steet you to something that would best fit what you want to do, if your set on a buggy then thats cool too.

i already have a t maxx 3.3 and monster gt 4.60. mainly want it for my son to play with and it is all grass that i keep mowed down. thanks for the info

OK, since its a 1/8 buggy, the Ofna MBX PRO is a decent choice.As is the "new" Hyper 7 TQ. For $350, you want it RTR? If so would you consider a used one? You can find a really nice Hyper 7 on the boards or ebay for CHEAP anymore.

If you really want new here is another one
GS CL-1
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/5733

You can also find a Jammin for pretty cheap anymore as well

I agree with nemesis. For a basher you almost can't go wrong with the XT2.

Just don't do many tight donuts on wet asphalt. Your foams WILL blow through the tire tread. =devil muahahha. Oh well, I wanted different tires anyways. haha

I haven't had any problems with the actual running gear of the car. I've broken a front control arm, and the stock wing, which are both fragile. The front control arm on broke after sliding crooked into a Huge Trash can that weighs about 100 pounds, and it even knocked the trashcan aside about 6 inches. Wicked wreck.

But also, look at the local parts support you have. All buggies will break if you drive them hard enough, or even from accidents. If you have the parts close by, and can get it back on the road quicker, you're bound to be happier with your purchase.

Good luck!

The Ofna buggy is a really good buggy. I can also atest to the strength of the XTerm as a basher as well. It is a very affordable buggy and it is very durable right out of the box. Just my :2cents:

Tom

CEN Matrix rtr at Amainhobbies under $400, comes with mx 3 and 144oz metal gear servos, very tough diffs and components.

The Sportwerks Mayhem is solid my son had one when he fist started and you can't kill or break it VERY solid

sorry to all this last post of mine was not to realy sell a buggy ,I dont realy care if the buggys sell it was more to help this guy out and open his eyes that there are alot of better deals out there than a new rtr low end buggy,most racers use a buggy for a season and sell them for real cheap,these buggys are well taking care of and all the bugs are worked out check ebat local shops and such they are out there.....if for some reason my buggys sell off this post I will send in 10% of the sale to the forum to keep it going.....did not mean any wrong by the post sorry guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sportwerks Mayhem is solid my son had one when he fist started and you can't kill or break it VERY solid
I have seen these buggys out at are track and yes a good easy to tune buggy,but again the stearing sevo need to be upgraded as most all rtr buggys after a few runs so there is 80.00 bucks or more and when you get this buggy you need to go through it and lock tite the stuff or it will fall apart!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: