whats up with Ofna?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werks21

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm looking to buy my first 1/8 buggy but am olny willing to spend like 350 for a set up. i was looking at the lightning buggies but parts and stuff arent as availible as i would like. is Ofna worth the $?

ps this will be my first nitro althoug i am better prepared than most.

Ofna has some great starter kits. As well as some pretty competitive kits. If you can afford it, purchase something from the hyper line-up. They come with a.21, and are race legal.

If you are not worried about racing, and want to save money, get a ultra series buggy. Great bashers and come with a .26. Be gentle with the pullstarter and seal the motor on either buggy before you break it in.

Mike

I'm not to worried about racing so it will probably be the ultra series. what do you mean by "seal the motor"? do you mean @ the carb throat or pull start plate or what? and what kind of sealant do you use, or will any sealant work?

werks21 said:
I'm not to worried about racing so it will probably be the ultra series. what do you mean by "seal the motor"? do you mean @ the carb throat or pull start plate or what? and what kind of sealant do you use, or will any sealant work?
Seal both the carb and the back-plate.

Try Permatex Ultra or Permatex Ultra Copper. Both are good for temperatures in excess of 400F and don't give off vapours that will harm catalysts such as glow-plug filaments.

Permatex usually takes 24 hours to fully cure and it might be worth removing the glow-plug from the engine during the curing period just as a precaution...

Any high temperature RTV sealant that can stand temperatures of 400F will probably do if you can't get Permatex (Ultra Copper is quite expensive here in the UK).

You should consider the Ofna Ultra MBX Pro if your budget is what it is, its a good buggy for the price, saw one at the track, its an impressionable wonder

actaualy I've been checkin it out, and the ultra mbx pro is lookin good. i think now I'm down to a price hunt. you guys are full of good info. thanx for the help.

jonathan

buy at towerhobbies, get the 20 dollars off coupon on their site and if you find it cheaper somewhere else, call tower and they will meet the price

You can usually get a GS Storm RTR off eBay for around $380 or so, brand-new. That thing comes race-ready with a nice JR XR3i FM transmitter, too! I didn't need mine, so I sold the radio on eBay for $110 and ended up with a new RTR Storm buggy for $270. :) So far in three races with it I've TQ'd all three times and taken 1st place twice and 2nd place once. It's a nice-handling buggy.

The Ultra buggies aren't too bad, but those Force engines they come with....ugh.

whats the deal with the force?

The force engine is fine if you look after it. You will here horror stories about all engine types. The Force .26's that I have had experience with worked well. Just take your time when tuning and all will be OK.

As for the Storm RTR, the radio it comes with is very nice, however the wing mounts to tabs off the diff housing that aren't very strong. I have seen a few break in flips.

In this area I know 4 guys with MBX pros and 2 guys with rtr storms. THe guys with the MBX Pros are much happier with their purchases. Actually, one of the storm guys sold his and the other just had to rebuild his engine.

On of the OFNA guys stripped out a head button due to over tightening his glow plug.

No matter what rtr buggy you get, remember to do the following:

Locktite all metal to metal connections
Oil the air filter
Seal the carb and backplate
reapply CA glue to tires
Take your time with break-in
HAVE FUN

Mike

i personally like the OFNA MBX Ultra Pro. takes a beating, even when in mid air and slamming into a parked car.

later

For 299 less 20 bucks, and a RTR, its a no-brainer. Get the ULTRA MBX Pro, buy a better steering servo, and your golden for the price. The price-fun ratio is unbeatable, the Storm is a great buggy but realistically you wont get it at the price or near the price of the MBX pro.

I disagree about the Storm price, Ericke1. I got mine, through no special deal or anything, brand-new off eBay. I sold the JR radio/receiver and my final cost was $270 and it came with two good JR servos. You can get the MBX for $280, which is a very good deal, but you have to add $45 for a good servo. My Storm ended up a little cheaper, but it was a little more work (finding it on eBay and selling off the radio/receiver). Just ordering up an MBX from Tower sure is easy!

Sounds like either one would do well and really a few bucks here and there is no biggie in the grand scheme of R/C.

As for the Force engines, I had a pretty good experience with a Force 21 that came in my Ultra GT LX, but a couple Force 25s I've had weren't very good, nor was the stock 21BB engine in my buddy's Savage (Force 21). Okay power, but they didn't want to rev and they didn't tune very well. My original Force 21 turned into a very reliable engine, it would never flame out, but again it wouldn't rev at all. Decent torque, but...

Engines are so fickle though, so affected by weather and tune and fuel and glow plug, you really can't make blanket statements about any particular one unless you experience a lot of that particular engine model. Therefore....I'll shut up now. :)

I would go with the ultra mbx pro over the storm too...but if you could save up acouple more bones and get a hyper series or a 9.5 series..I think you would be much happier.
A buddy of mine just got the 9.5 violator and man that thing rip's......

Maxx Trooper said:
i personally like the OFNA MBX Ultra Pro. takes a beating, even when in mid air and slamming into a parked car.

THATS the kinda info i need to make a decision like this! lol, i am hunting for a good deal on the mbx pro as we speak. if any one knows of any great deals lemme know. i would buy from my lhs but they are expensive

Back