Whats a good clutch set-up for heavy big block truck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Gray

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a older full aluminum big block T Maxx with a Ofna picco 27. I removed my clutch setup do to failure and want to replace it with something durable and different looking. I saw the Fioroni Vario new gold finned flywheel setup but not sure if that is ideal for my setup. Fioroni also offers a Penta 5 that is designed for 1/8 trucks but I'm not sure if that means all aluminum heavy trucks.

I also have to address an issue of the clutch bell having a gap next to the flywheel. There are washers or spacers inbetween the engine bearing and the flywheel. Is that ok for proper balancing? If so can I keep on shimming it over to take up the gap? I'm not sure how much clutch bell movement I have. Can I use any clutch bell with the Fioroni stuff? I have a Robinson 21 tooth bell now. Does any one know where to get a good deal on a flywheel holding tool, maybe Hudy 3 way. How do I hold the Fioroni assembly for tightening and removing?

Thank you for any help...

The problem you will have with an 1/8 scale clutch/flywheel/bell is that the bell you need to fit the clutch will be the wrong tooth size.

What clutch/flywheel are you running now? Traxxas stock? If so, you can swap out your spur for a 1M pitch spur then use any generic 1/8 clutch/flywheel/bell. This will give you a stronger clutch and more contact area for the shoes to grab the bell.

When I had a BB maxx, I bought an RC Solutions 1M spur, HPI 3 shoe savage flywheel w/teflon shoes and an OFNA hardened/vented bell. Worked far better than the 1/10 scale setup. Lasted a good long while as well.

The problem you will have with an 1/8 scale clutch/flywheel/bell is that the bell you need to fit the clutch will be the wrong tooth size.

What clutch/flywheel are you running now? Traxxas stock? If so, you can swap out your spur for a 1M pitch spur then use any generic 1/8 clutch/flywheel/bell. This will give you a stronger clutch and more contact area for the shoes to grab the bell.

When I had a BB maxx, I bought an RC Solutions 1M spur, HPI 3 shoe savage flywheel w/teflon shoes and an OFNA hardened/vented bell. Worked far better than the 1/10 scale setup. Lasted a good long while as well.

:post_count1: This is the route that I went with on my BB Maxx. I didnt use the teflon shoes and I went with aluminum ones, but I dont remember what brand I used. Worked really well. I started breaking everything else..lol

Thanks for the info. I have it all taken apart and discovered the flywheel nut is to long and that is what is causing my gap. I currently have a 21 tooth robinson bell and a 72 tooth robinson spur. And yes I have been having a hard time finding that tooth size on anything but Robinson. Do all bells work on the different clutch setups? If I go with a 17 tooth bell won't I need to change my spur gear to keep the same ratio I have now or can I drop 4 teeth and have a lower gear ratio? I'm going to put in a whole new set up, flywheel, clutch, bell, collet, etc... I have been looking at the Reckward Tuning speed 2.5 extended bell. Has anyone ran this setup before? Or I want to try the Fioroni gold vario setup as it is adjustable by turning a top plate, but I don't know what bells will work on the fioroni. The Reckward is a kit and has everything already to go but not as easy to adjust spring rate. Basically I have 27mm from the engine case to the groove in the shaft that the bell gear stops at so I need to be a little less for clearances and a touch of play. It is hard to find any specs on the after market clutch setups. Thanks again for any additional help.

Back