What to buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsrocket

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello Ladys and Gents,

I'm looking to start this as a hobby of mine. I have a little experiance of model cars from when i was about 15/16, but fancy something with a bit more speed.

I'm looking for a buggy in roughly 1/8 scale. I have seen alot of stuff on ebay etc but havent a clue what to buy. I will be driving on the beach and in a big sports field so things to crash into wont be a factor so would like something as fast as possible. I have found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6037029059&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 and it looks quite good. I'm i heading in the right direction or is it aload of crap? I would rather buy a less well know car that has better performance and build quality than just get something coz it looks good.

All your views and opinions are very welcome. Like i said i have never done this or know very much about it.

Cheers

Rob

First off welcome to RCNT. Now, I don't have any experience with that particular buggy so I couldn't tell you one way or the other. I'll make a few suggestions though. What's your budget? If sky's the limit then I'd say hands down the X-Ray XB8TQ. Next down from there, probably the XB8R. What's supported in your area? Meaning, if you have a lhs, what do they carry or what brands have parts readily available? If you buy something and have to order parts all the time, it sucks to have to wait. If you don't have a lhs, then something that you won't have to order too much from outside your country would be the next option.

thanks for the reply. I was looking to spend about £250-£300 ($450-$550). But i know how easily i spend money so dont wanna go to mad. As for whats supplyed in my area i havent a clue. quick interweb search has shown up quite a few local and mail order companies stocking those X-Rays you mentioned. I have also been trawling through other posts looking at similar questions and this Apex Hyper 7 PBS keeps cropping up. Any good?
cheers
Rob

Offhand, you'd be much better off with the XRay, simply for durability options. And, if you ever got the itch to race, it's fairly capable out of the box.... Plaidfish might chime in here sooner or later; he loves his Xray alot.

it seems to me sand would tear up anything you get eventualy, plus & it doest sound like you be racing ....so i would recomend something on the cheaper side of the scale....from what you said it sounds like almost any buggy would fit the bill, do they have the xtm exterminator where your at? ..its strong fast & fairly cheap

I recently built an Xray XB8. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet due to cold/snowy weather, but I am very impressed. If your going to drive on the beach/sports field, a buggy would be good, but I am not sure you need to go with the XB8. Its a very capable buggy, but you won't be able to use it to its potential. Many other buggies out there will be plenty good for the beach.

If you have any plans to race though, its best it start with a great platform so you're not buying a whole new buggy when you decide to race. If you have any plans to race, I would suggest the XB8.

As for the buggy you linked too, its kind of an old design and I haven't heard too many good things about it. If you want to go RTR the Hyper 7 buggies are great, I would also take a look at the Jammin X1-CR RTR, and the Sportwerks Mayhem RTR.

I'm also looking for a 8th buggy to upgrade from my current car, and I'm looking to strech my budget to the XB8R or maybe the Mugen (or the EB4 s3)

- BUt as retarded pilot says, sand with trash anything, and so it would be a real shame/waste to drive a xray on the beach. So if you have to drive it on the beach, get something cheap and semi-despoable.

Daniel

robsrocket,

As a UK buggy and truggy racer I know quite a few club members who run Kyosho buggies and they are generally very happy with them. Kyosho is quality kit.
One downside is the spares network as RipMax lost the UK Kyosho distribution and all Kyosho kits/spares are now distributed from France.
This leaves a little vacuum in the spares department as the shops don't seem to offer too many Kyosho spares on the parts hangars any more and turnaround on getting parts now amounts to weeks instead of days.

Kyoshos are great, but in the UK, parts are quite costly in comparison to other manufacturers like HoBao, TTR and Hong Nor (AKA Jammin')
XRay parts are readily available but also carry a higher cost, as do the kits.

For a starting point RTR buggy that Kyosho looks great but I's also examine other RTR kits like the HoBao Hyper series for example which is an excellent springboard into the sport with a huge UK following and spares network to match.

For the record, I race a TTR EB4 Series buggy, Hong Nor (Jammin') X1-CRT truggy, have an Ofna Blazer ST for bashing and am not biased toward any manufacturers at all...
Just thought I'd pass some of my experiences and observations on to fellow UK based Members

Yeah, I'm uk, and interesting to know kyosho arnt with ripmax anymore, that deffontaly puts a nail in that coffin.
- I've got a duratrax, and one of the main reason I'm swaping cars if becuase there spares are now inpossable to get hold of in uk. (whernt great before)

What do you think of the X1-CRT?

Daniel

Kyosho

Dhutch,

I don't want to hijack and divert robsrocket's Thread. Keeping it short, the HN products are fantastic.
I am now contemplating moving the TTR buggy on and getting myself an X1-CR buggy (kit) too
The HN (Jammin') X1-CRT is under discussion in the Truggy Forum

Back on topic....

Thanks for all your help guys. After reading what you guys wrote about the beach i think i will be stearing clear of it. The news about the Kyosho parts has also put the nail in their coffin for me as i dont wanna be wasting months for a small part which has packed up. Have found a few Hyper 7 PBS's on ebay which i fancy, as if this sport takes a hold of me i would quite like a go at racing, and this setup appears to hold quite a few cards. Whats the thoughs on that? Any good or is there somethin i should look out for?

Thanks again!

Rob